Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dualscreek

what is your favorite doom port

8 minutes ago, theblade said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wot?!

Also its the psx version :)

I mostly use zdoom/gzdoom/zandronum and prboom+. For experiments, I use eternity, because I want develop my skills and control stuff equally. 

I use Zandronum mostly for gameplay and recording videos and I'm just discovering PRBoom+ for demos and it's also a great choice.

Gzdoom for SP, Zandronum for MP, I have not tried prboom+ or glboom+ but they sound like I would like them especially since they are apparently pretty fast compared to other ports and of course they are good for recording demos so I might try them out some day as well, maybe when I start working on a map which is actually boom compatible :D

I don't really have a favorite... More like tiers of what I use in specific situations.

I use Gzdoom for my casual play because it has the most features and customizability.

Then we have Pr/GLBoom+, for demo recording/playback and for more serious play.

After that we have Crispy Doom, which I don't really use that much because I guess it's kind of in an awkward spot between PrBoom -complevel 2 and Chocolate Doom.

Finally I have Chocolate Doom for all my vanilla needs.

My favorite console port is probably GBA Doom II probably because it's such an impressive feat and it actually works well too!

Port as, console versions or source ports?

Console versions: I have only played PSX and PC versions, I stay with the second one but the first one has freaking amazing creepy music/atmosphere/sounds which makes the gameplay, unique.

Source ports: My two favoruites are GlBoom+ for any boom compatible and limit-removing wads that work better with complevel 9, and Crispy Doom for any vanilla and limit-removing wads that would work completely fine with complevel 2. Can't say I'm a fan of ZDoom, I just use for specifics and Heretic wads.

1 minute ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Port as, console versions or source ports?

If console ports are added, then PSX is my all-time favorite. Sorry, N64....you had a great Doom game but your control scheme sucks

Just now, leodoom85 said:

your control scheme sucks

It's that damn controller. Whose idea was that?

GZDoom.

It is my first Port and so far my favorite. I love all the options that comes with it and the good experience it gives for a single player, is simple and easy to handle and very customizable, I love even being able to change the appearance of HUD, decide how I want to see textures, things as rare as how many Sprites or Particles I want to see on my screen, is quite complete in regards to my desires and I am fully pleased.

kind of a tossup depending on what I need at the moment. I'll use EE or PrBoom+ for playing vanilla/boom/mbf stuff, GZD for more general playing of some things (with relevant compat settings) as well as modding stuff. I don't have particularly strong feelings for or against many ports and I try to use a decent variety of them, at least ones that catch my interest.

GZDoom, I'm a sucker for the extra eye candy. Doom Retro is seeming like a good choice for a more vanilla style experience however with minimal visual additions.

Crispy Doom is probably my favourite port (vanilla feel, higher résolution, some funky tricks such as coloured blood and mirroring)

I run PrBoom+ when I feel like testing some Boom-compatible WAD.

I like Chocolate Doom too.

So I just downloaded prboom+ and tried it, I like it so far but there is one thing that is annoying me: how do you make it to where you DON'T move when you move the mouse...? I can't find a setting for it in either the doom compatibility or control menu but I would really like to turn if off...

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

So I just downloaded prboom+ and tried it, I like it so far but there is one thing that is annoying me: how do you make it to where you DON'T move when you move the mouse...? I can't find a setting for it in either the doom compatibility or control menu but I would really like to turn if off...

mess with vertical mouse sensitivity, set it to zero

I forgot, on the very rare occasion I play multiplayer, I use Zandronum*.  I was using GZDoom to do co-op with my wife, but we had too many desync instances.  However, Doomsday was my go-to port for both SP and MP for many years prior.

* which I mistakenly pronounced "Zan-dron-NEE-um" for the longest time ^_^;

59 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

* which I mistakenly pronounced "Zan-dron-NEE-um" for the longest time ^_^;

It's "Zan-dron-um", right?  

@Manuel-K Actually I'm surprised that I don't have Zdoom in the list there, even though I have every variant heh.

I bounce back and forth, it's usually the 3 at the top in the editor.

But when it comes to casual play, it's usually Zandronum mainly because of its file/wad association.

Unless the wad is port specific, I'll play it in that port.