Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Excellent, from what you describe that's even better from the sounds of it. The most interesting part of the whole design, to me, is that tiny little diagonal hallway on the east side joining the north and south. On first glance it seems outside the normal style of the rest of the map, but it's point choices like this that could turn out to be a really interesting area/transition. That could be a cave mouth or a broken tekwall, narrow spots like that are good for suspense and the angularity of the lines there caught my attention right away.

@ Eris Falling Good call on all points, that texture pack is awesome yeah. That's the best part of mapping for me, hashing out lines and trying to get an atmosphere with the least amount of geometry possible. Textures go such a long way too especially with an angular style where line joins are really visible, over time I've really moved away from linedef-hogging curves all over the place, but of course everything has a spot if it's used well... keep up the good work :) 

that looks awesome already, since the architecture and lighting and goat pentagram skull draw the eye toward the center, I might suggest a horizontal piping-type texture on the left and right walls, where the bigbrick is currently. A texture that has mostly horizontal elements I think would be strong here, to further draw the focal point to the middle/back of the room. 

Just a suggestion, experimenting is crucial, and yeah looks radical. Heavy contrast will never be bad when it comes to building suspense/atmosphere. 

Those actually open up into what'll eventually be an ambush.

AsV2mTY.png

I'll try putting some horizontal textures down, but I feel that having the center of a long horizontal line suddenly lift up looks a bit odd. I'm gonna have to screw with the room a bit in order to get that to work.

10 minutes of sketching in the editor led me to this, think i'm gonna work on making a layout over the course of the week and turn it into a map

8LqwTqy.png

Only once have I ever sketched out a map in the editor before and I have to say it drives me nuts - I'm definitely along the lines of detailing as I go, but I commend anyone who has the patience of working that way.

Anyway, here's some Doom 1 content:

GJnqSGF.gif

Heroes, E2M1

HBCiwS7.gif

The Beginning of The End Part II, E3M6

6F6hmTu.gif

And this last one is from an old Doom 2 project of mine from October 2012 that was inspired from Artifact and Jet Force Gemini called Scarlet Echoes. I wanted to make huge, open maps in vanilla doom that span over the course of some levels with a bit of backtracking and revisiting certain areas, but it's been sitting idle since early 2013. I'm thinking about possibly bringing it back though.

That sky fits really well in the last shot, and platforming in 3d games is a sweet, sweet art. I've always liked games that allow you to see the last level from the next one, or another good example is the citadel looming as you progress in half life 2. Things like linearity and back-tracking are big topics but can be very useful if incorporated effectively...

I also hate drafting before making a map, when I was a kid before I could find an editor for Wolf3d I used to draw maps on grid paper for that game and Blake Stone, Doom, etc... I got my fill back then, so when I make a map it tends to be a very modular process and can take me like a year until I'm happy with it lol lol lol

Good stuff all around though, the greenery and banks of blinking lights looks like an alien greenhouse that got busted up hehe Doomguy says no vegetables

Those actually open up into what'll eventually be an ambush.

I'll try putting some horizontal textures down, but I feel that having the center of a long horizontal line suddenly lift up looks a bit odd. I'm gonna have to screw with the room a bit in order to get that to work.

OH I see, when I posted that I also thought about some columns that could be built into the walls as well, depending on the situation. You're right of course with the split door ambush thing. Didn't mean to bring out spoilers like that ehehehe... The lighting alone makes me look forward to what the end product could be. *thumbs up* 

Edited by reflex17

5 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Heroes, E2M1

The best thing about this room is that there are lost souls coming out of these holes. This is the only place I know in Doom where you can walk above monsters but not fall.

A techbase area in one of my Doom II maps. (You can also see a slimefall somewhere near the second half from the left)

(I have been playing it without cheating, already got all the keys in the map, and decided to post this screenshot here)

hollyoutside.png

I so want to do some wacky flat change actions with error boxes like that now. Screw changing solid floors to liquids, that's old news.

Except for the fact that GZDoom grossly warps the proportions of standard Doom skies. That moon looks like an egg.

Blur the left portion of it and it could pass as a waxing gibbous. Who says the moon always has to be full or crescent?

It's a giant egg and you should seriously worry about the giant chicken that will hatch from it.

Has anyone ever wondered how would a Cyberdemon vs. Maulotaur look like? 

Well, something like this, less "corrupted"...

Screenshot_Doom_20171009_164602.png.6ab431f4c7d9d8b2f50d5538bcb3f19b.png

Now, the verdict is, as a Heretic monster, its attacks are less powerful (except for the fire snake), plus the cyber attacks more frequently, so there's no doubt the Cyberdemon will always win, which leads to the next question: how many Maulotaurs are required to kill a Cyberdemon? one after another one...  bonus question, how many are required to kill a Spiderdemon. The results are jaw-dropping.