Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

Add Doom1 textures to a Doom2 PWAD

Question

Hi all...I like to work with the full suite of options when using textures for Doom 2 pwads.  So I set up GZDoom Builder to use doom2.wad and doom1tex.wad as resources.  Naturally, when I'm play-testing wads from within the Builder, they work great.  The problem I run into is when I try to load them separately...the Doom 1 textures do not load unless I drag both pwads over at the same time.

I have also attempted to use XWE in order to add the textures to the pwad but I must be doing it wrong because I've never been able to get it to work.  Maybe there is a specific spot you are supposed to drag it?

If anyone can give me some help on how to make this happen, that'd be awesome.  Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Thanks for the response.  I have that texture file, but I'm wondering how to merge it with a Doom 2 pwad so I don't have to keep including separately in zip files.

50 minutes ago, KevvyLava said:

Thanks for the response.  I have that texture file, but I'm wondering how to merge it with a Doom 2 pwad so I don't have to keep including separately in zip files.

Use Slade to copy the resource's contents into your wad (after making a back-up copy, of course). Then, have Slade remove unused textures, flats, and patches.

2 hours ago, Empyre said:

Use Slade to copy the resource's contents into your wad (after making a back-up copy, of course). Then, have Slade remove unused textures, flats, and patches.

So I'm not used to using Slade, but I will try.

You shouldn't really be merging any IWAD assets (i.e. Doom 1 textures) into a Doom 2 map though. No-one is going to super object, but it's technically distributing copyrighted content for free.

Sorry it's a pain, it'd be nice if there was some automatic way to load the assets of two IWADs at once, but I don't think that's possible.

Might I suggest you grab something like Community Chest 4 (which has hundreds of new r textures in) and find some good free replacements for your Doom 1 textures.

it'd be nice if there was some automatic way to load the assets of two IWADs at once, but I don't think that's possible.

In Zandronum, and (Q/G)ZDoom, you can use doom.wad as the iwad and load doom2.wad as a pwad with this pk3: Doom1Doom2MAPINFO.zip. It was made by somebody in the Zandronum forums, who didn't include a WADINFO lump, and I don't remember who.

You shouldn't really be merging any IWAD assets (i.e. Doom 1 textures) into a Doom 2 map though. No-one is going to super object, but it's technically distributing copyrighted content for free.

I believe that cc4-tex.wad has Doom 1 textures in it, and it has practically become the de-facto standard.

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

For that matter, the PWAD linked above is guilty of the same "crime", and TBQH I'm surprised it's still in the archive.

FWIW, such a set of "Doom 1 textures for Doom 2" existed, way, way before SargeBaldy's implementation (back in 1994, already) and AFAIK that particular pack isn't hosted on idgames anymore (if it ever was), and for good reason. I was surprised to read in the reviews that this version isn't trouble-free, either.

Finally, as it has been mentioned that registered IWAD assets are being distributed in many famous mods....that is STILL a kind of "grey area" nobody has addressed satisfactorily or definitively all these years. They are all riding on a "Carmack and Romero were cool with that", only that they are no longer running the show *cough* Bethesda *cough*, and one day they may come back and bit us in our collective ass.

From what I've heard, that Sargebaldy wad contains some errors (incorrect/missing textures). Supposedly there is a much better version (by GreyGhost?) floating around. I wonder if someone knows what I'm talking about.