Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Plutonia Revisited Community Project

Just now, lirui1001 said:

Seems I am not the only one feeling the raising/lowering bridges or platforms are annoying. 

That's why I dislike map12 of Doom 2, map16 of Plutonia, and map16 of D2twid.

I don't mind them generally but in this instance the platforms took so, so long to raise and lower, you basically had to wait for them to pick off the gunners otherwise you get shot in the back when you are not looking... on this note i think i'm a weird minority who actually loves The Omen, i think it's a very fun map to play.

21 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Seems I am not the only one feeling the raising/lowering bridges or platforms are annoying. 

That's why I dislike map12 of Doom 2, map16 of Plutonia, and map16 of D2twid.

It's annoying in a certain way I guess (I actually think it's a little silly at the end of "The Omen"), but I liked the way it was used in Map 08 here, where it means you have to give your attention to different spots at different moments if you're taking a bit of time to clear out the room. (Which I did, from the alcoves with the chaingunners and ammo that open up after making your way across the room once; it's the best way to take out the Pain Elementals, as they'll float up to the doorways there.)

Edit -- Ha, seems like it's actually an opposite take from Scotty above. I agree that they're a bit slower in "Rules of Death" than they need to be. I'll also put out another vote of support for "The Omen" as a whole. It's one of the strongest maps in Plutonia's middle third.

Edited by Cipher

MAP07: A regular Dead Simple clone. Perhaps I'm not really convinced of the cybers, it's a bit boring to kill them but the map at least get its things better after that. The setting was nice, in particular the cute small towers. The map does it job well but nothing really remarkable.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't mind them generally but in this instance the platforms took so, so long to raise and lower, you basically had to wait for them to pick off the gunners otherwise you get shot in the back when you are not looking... on this note i think i'm a weird minority who actually loves The Omen, i think it's a very fun map to play.

Also the long and/or slow elevators are also annoying design, such as map16 of TNT: Evilution (though the theme of this map is good) and the 2nd floor (orange floor) in map11 of JPCP.

Example:

Spoiler

Just skip to 1:23.

In m08 you can basically kill all of the rising-and-lowering hitscanners right after entering the room, standing on the bridge, with swift chaingun use, with pretty little risk overall. (A quirk of conventional mechanics is that monsters on little platforms don't attack often at all, and the two chaingunners adjacent to the bridge have some weird reject stuff or something because they don't attack at all period. The rev missiles are also likely to impact with pillars or something.) 

This isn't obvious in the slightest so it doesn't really 'solve' the design flaw in casual play, since no one will think 'hey hitscanners on two sides, let's just idly stand in the middle here without cover and pick them all off!', and it was only thanks to routing a max that I even discovered it. Was a pleasant surprise though. (I think I might do actual maxes this month for a couple of maps that seem fun, and that is one of many wrinkles that will allow the record for this one, currently 5:07, to be lowered by 40+ seconds.)

Edited by rdwpa

MAP07: Caughtisle

Death Count: 0

DOOM12.png.c588bbd01d1449b6b4eb79a9dd8dc7d7.png

Yes, a Dead Simple style map, with a few twists at least, Joshy's one of the most silent starts I've experienced so far. Way less mancubus and arachnotrons than the usual, clones. In this case, previous the last pair of mancubus are two cyberdemons. I remembered when and where the arachnotrons come in so I was prepared, this setting is similar to SoD's same slot, with obvious less quantity of monsters. Two problems: dealing with the cacos outside the isle can be boring, due to their propensity to fly away faaaaaar away when attacked. A friendly revenant decided to team up with me, but this happened; better if only one archie in each side, two don't make a difference in my opinion... The final archie came out of his room earlier so no cover-less risks this time. I guess the map was fun after all, and I like the usage of the bricks texture which I don't know the name of, and also like the custom IoS walls from Plutonia 2 (if I'm not mistaken). 

Oh, map 08 is next... :c

MAP08. Time: 9:10. Kills: 100%. Secrets: 100%.

The first map I've died in PRCP. Decisive beginning of the level led me to think of this map as a simple map. Soon I died in hellknight room, and decided to learn this map better before recording a demo, so I've found some strategies for the rest of the level. Not a fan of the later parts, don't even know how am I supposed to deal with hellknights without cheese.

prcp_arch_08.zip

MAP08: The homages to Plutonia were done in tasteful manner here, and with little touch of personality to make the map also as its own thing. I liked that the texturing was different and more varied than the previous maps. I didn't mind the hitscanners on the moving platforms, on the contrary I think it was a nice touch to intimidate the players before they cross the bridge. The frist half of the map however can fool about what comes next. At first I rolled my eyes when I reached the room with the hellknights, I knew what to expect. Probably the best (and most funny) way to do it is to rush to the blue key and then go for the secret bfg.

Plutonia Revisited Community Project
HMP Difficulty, using GZDoom and Brutal Doom.
10/7/2017

Oh! Two gigantic demons right under our noses! Yes, I died 3 times here. In brutal doom it tends to be a little more difficult. A map with the style of Dead Simple, obviously that's why map 7, I like the touch here, we have much less enemies but now we concentrate on enemies much stronger, the design of the map is simple, quite simple, an island in the middle of nothing infected with powerful demons. At first we have to deal with 2 Cyberdemons, it can be a little complicated, but nothing out of this world, the best weapon is without doubt the plasma rifle to be able to deal with them a little faster and easier. After this, the map acts with a system of rounds, kill some enemies and then others appear, and so on. In the end we are free of the central area and we have to surround the place to find the key, which we have right in front of us and we just need to do some parkour to get it. And now if we face many Arch-Vile, the good side is that we can attack them from afar ... but so do they.

Screenshot_Doom_20171007_162618.png.39251c9f5c8a3726521369921b354829.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171007_163846.png.d752765784f58501a3d476b3db2f2522.png

95% kills, 1/1 "secret"

Took me a few tries to get my circle-strafing skills in order and avoid being splattered by the cybers, and then a few tries to avoid Good at Dooming myself on the arachnatrons teleporting in. The cacodemons really add nothing to the map except being ammo sinks, and I didn't have enough ammo left for the final AV.

MAP08 Rules of Death

A map with nifty little optical illusions sprinkled around. Nice teases at the beginning, plus an invisible bridge. Funny enough, I didn't even go on the bridge at all, instead I ride the pillar nearby up and jump off to the left and go off from there. That gives me a different vantage point of things, and actually makes monster cleanup a lot smoother, since I can go clockwise around to the yellow key and otherwise. Interesting tactic I discover. The level overall is certainly a lot more fun than the last few ones for that matter, a bit more spacious than it ought to be but that's fine. The ending segments are considerably more memorable. The hell knight rush for instance, got trapped in the middle but it's not as lethal as you would expect, then the bridge segment with the rise-up mancubus and ledge enemies certainly had me running backward. Yeah, keep on your toes.

I don't really pay attention to homages.

On 3.10.2017 at 1:51 PM, rdwpa said:

Map 03: "Escape from Ghost Town" by UltimateLorenzo

Cool demo,  because I never thought of playing the map that way. Always went to the ssg with the revenant on the way to the mastermind first,  and now I feel a bit dumb ;)

As for a few other maps, because I'm getting nowhere again:

MAP01

That's one of my favorite warm up maps, toget her with pl2 m01 and E2M2.  That berserk gives you the power to rip and tear through the zombies, at least until the tougher monsters show up.  Beware of the arachs at long range. 

MAP02

Nice exploratory map,looks good, but Pcorf over does it again with the pinkies...

MAP08 – “Rules of Death” by FranckFRAG

hcRqGYj.png

Alright then, this map hits hard. It’s the first noticeable difficulty spike in the mapset, and, frankly, I welcome it. There are several homages here, but unlike in MAP03, they are used as backdrops for different scenarios.

The beginning is a quick bout with a few Imps and Sergeants. This is followed by a group of Imps, backed by Chaingunner-turrets. This was rather fun, although the vine usage here comes off as contrived. The Plutonia Experiment occasionally used vines to hide deadly enemies, while in this map, mere Imps receive that privilege. I found this start to be very reminiscent of “Speed”, with its Imp ambush. There is another excellently placed homage to “Speed” later in the map.

What follows is a combination of the invisible bridge from “Aztec” and the hitscaner-pillars from “The Omen”. This section had several ‘solutions’. My approach was to dash across the bridge and proceed to clear the Revenants and Arachnotrons. This provided some additional cover. Also, the Pain Elementals can either be eliminated early or used as infighting targets.

The following section is a fun and quick battle with an Arch-vile. The cover is very limited here though, forcing you to rush. Again, this section has multiple approaches. You could use the Rocket Launcher, Super Shotgun or fall off the ledge to face more manageable foes. The last option allows you to get the Plasma Rifle. After eliminating the Arch-vile, you proceed to get the yellow-key.

The next act of the map is a joy to play through. After eliminating the lone Hell Knight beyond the yellow-door, you face an army of Hell Knights. Much like the previous encounters, this section can be tackled in a variety of ways. You can rush to the final section of the map and attempt to get the secret BFG-9000, or spam shells, rockets and plasma, while hoping for the best. The first option also gives an excellent vantage point to pick the Hell Knights off. My only complaint about this section is the rather finicky linedef used to lower the Hell Knights. However, that aspect was a minor annoyance, since most of the Hell Knights teleport out anyway.

Clearing the mess up allows you to face the final challenge, a combination of the Cyberdemon-turret from “Speed” and the hidden army from a lot of The Plutonia Experiement’s maps (although I was reminded of “Genesis” in particular, possibly due to the similar army composition and path structure). The biggest threat is the Cyberdemon, and you could either rush to the teleporter and return to the Hell Knight chamber, or try pushing towards the army. You could also get the BFG-9000 and simplify this encounter. One noticeable difference from "Speed" is the absence of architecture that blocks the Cyberdemon's rockets. You then take the blue-key and proceed to the exit. Also, no exit Arch-vile!

This map is a fantastic example of an homage. Unlike MAP03 which was almost a perfect copy of its predecessor, this map takes scenarios from multiple maps from The Plutonia Experiment and combines them, offering a fresh set of encounters. Also, this only covers the sections which were homages. The map has its fair share of unique scenarios too. The secrets here were useful, although I'd argue that the BFG-9000 was almost essential. Regardless, the map is my second favorite as of now, right after MAP06.

Edited by SGS Man

Map08 - 'Rules of Death'

Glboom-Plus - UV Pistol Start - Saves

ceQca7J.png

Holy hell knights!

Alrighty then. This map definitely has the most... unique choice of monster placement so far. We start out with Plutonia stuff, with chaingunners and invisible bridges, which are made a bit more interesting with lifts that move the enemies around. Before you get the yellow key you have to go through a rather awkward encounter (at least for me) with an arch vile. The level then forces you to take a rather roundabout way to get back to the yellow door. The map up to this point is nothing special.

Then you enter the hell knight room. Once you flip that switch you are instantly greeted with quite the clusterfuck of hell knights teleporting down in all directions. My first attempt at this room I tried fighting them with the weapons I had at that point. It didn't go so well. Then I tried running forward to try to find a nice spot to pick them off from. I ended up getting splattered by the cyberdemon. Eventually I discovered the not-really-that-secret BFG and everything was okay from that point forward.

Overall, this map is memorable to say the least.

MAP08 - Rules of Death:

FranckFRAG, I recognize that name...from what I know his maps tend to be a little more compact than this one, but his trademark knife's edge difficulty is definitely prevalent. It starts off simply enough with the Imp intro (with added chaingunners for seasoning), but quickly gets hectic with the invisible bridge besieged by hitscanners on all sides. Were I to level a criticism at this point I'd say that a couple of candles in the center of the bridge wouldn't go amiss as a visual indication, but that may be simply because I'm used to candles being the primary material used in 3D bridges. :P The battles at this point are fairly enjoyable: an odd few have a chance to surprise you, but not so much in a way that you can't react to them accordingly. But...

There is a room. A room after the yellow key door. A room with multiple stone steps, decorated with motionless Hell Knights. Hell Knights that will pound you in the butt when you press the switch that releases them. I can confidently say that this room completely overshadows the rest of the map and in my opinion could've been toned down a tad. I had the BFG due to playing continuous and even then I got pounded in the butt quite a few times by this room, eventually deciding to target the Hell Knights before they could teleport away and start flooding the room. Even the subsequent Cyberdemon reveal didn't faze me after taking care of that room, so the map didn't feel like it ended on a crescendo so much as it felt like it blew its load early....while pounding me in the butt. Personally I reckon it'd be less of a lurch if half of the Hell Knights teleported to different parts of the map, maybe opening up new parts of the map to encourage more exploration. At the end of things, I'd say the map is a good one despite criticism and is at the very least the most memorable one so far: I look forward to seeing what can top it.

Map 08

I guess what's going on with the bridge is that monsters won't target because of the way the self-referencing sector is designed. This was a fun map overall once I realized that, although most of what I like about it is the last BFG-centric section. Franckfrag's fondness for phasing monsters is not something I share as a player, but at least with this approach that effect is minimized.

The way this demo goes makes the last part look less threatening than it actually is. The jump from the bridge to the upper level can be ruined by a caco, a group of low-tiers in the way, or of course a cyb rocket from the back. OK run. 

MAP08 - “Rules of Death” by franckFRAG

wmfW7Iq.png

Pretty cool map. I was caught with my pants down by the Hell Knights the first time around as I got blocked trying to run back. They're rather trivial to kill if you happen to run out onto the bridge or drop down beside it. I managed to find all the secrets, but grabbed the BFG when there was only the Cyber and some enemies around him left. Didn't fire a single shot and went for safe plasma hosing. Not a huge fan of the slooowly rising and lowering hitscanners but I did like the fact that you could fall out of the window near the YK.

MAP08: Rules of Death

This one is pleasantly understated for the most part, with a style of encounter design and overall layout that gives as strong a sense of comfortable familiarity as anything Plutonia or Doom II can be said to... right up to the point that the player first gets a look at the Hell Knight 'debating chamber' which is without a doubt the standout encounter of the whole exercise, and caused me some frustration right up until I stumbled (quite literally) off an edge and into the 'east mode' solution of perching on the bridge and handling the onslaught from a single direction instead of trying to fight my way out from the middle of an orgy of infernal flesh.  It's cheap, but it's effective.

Overall I'd say that this map has a theme of unfolding or evolving encounter areas, with the initial corridor opening up into a courtyard which itself contains layers of progression before you're allowed to leave, then a similar sense of multiple staggered encounters within the pillar toom - which, I'll confess, I utterly didn't realise featured an invisible bridge, and so rather than crossing it I tried to hop pillar-to-pillar toward the large lift/ledge on the left-hand side of the room - and then the various moving walls and floors and teleporters of the debating chamber and abjacent blood reservoir.  Nowhere is left quite as it was found.  I also like the expansiveness of the optional plasma gun are - that doesn't have to be as wide-open and refreshing a space as it is, and it alternates nicely with the low-ceilinged arch-vile/rocket launcher room and gloomy, claustrophobic cluster of corridors around that.

Plutonia Revisited Community Project
HMP Difficulty, using GZDoom and Brutal Doom.
10/08/2017

The details are growing and more and more reminds me a lot of PE, yes, this is what this map is supposed to do, remind us of a beautiful tribute to PE, and certainly it succeeds. Now we have a new character, invincible bridges, of which I am not very sincere fan, for me have always been a little tedious or difficult to find, but in this case is a single bridge and almost impossible to lose it after that the combat is pretty good, until we find what I like to call, '' The punishment room ''. A room infested with dormant Hell Knights that activated immediately upon activating a button, I must say that this room was certainly somewhat challenging, until I discovered that hiding in a corner I could kill them one by one, but things do not stop there, then we have we go to a bridge where several Chaingunners tried to demolish us so that finally, by activating a button at the end of the bridge, a Cyberdemon begins to besiege us, and of course, the walls open and more enemies begin to shoot us from afar. We have to go to those walls to collect the blue key that finally takes us out of the map, it's complicated, we can do it fast or we can simply kill one by one, that's what I did in the end.

I enjoy this map, very interesting, PRCP is being a success for me, maybe because I do not judge much and just looking to have fun with news and challenges, PRCP satisfies me.

Screenshot_Doom_20171007_170858.png.fa7e59063d2e995c610cd004c0b5fb85.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171008_123836.png.0bd27497c5dbd9eb4cbae5b86270d4dd.png

Death Count: 3 (or 4) first time, 0 second time

DOOM14.png.250bc384241500a1204c1e9b934880ed.png

My fresh memories didn't fail me, this is still one of my least favourite maps... Franckfrag, I don't know this person but it seems to have contributed with this single map. Ok, funny story first, call me dumb or not, but I had never realized that the hitscan circle had an invisible bridge a la Aztec, until now that I read your comments, in which case you can imagine how frustrating were my deaths and how much of time wasted taking it slow. Please tell me I'm not the only one who never knew about the bridge ):

So I tried a new run and now I like the map e_e

Well, I usually recognize the gimmicks/homages but not this time, my problem is that the torches columns are too separated from each other, and even if it can be an obvious homage to others, it never occurred to me. Anyway, different set pieces made this map more enjoyable this time, starts easy, then the circle which is fairly easy knowing the existence of the bridge, the archie protecting the RL (which brings to my memories back then going to the right first via lift and grabbing the YK earlier, then seeing the head of the archie on the floor), and the outside pool where the plasma rifle is available. Behind the yellow door is the horror, or at least that is how I remember it. This time, I found out that rushing for the BFG and sniping some hell knights from the small aperture was much smoother and it doesn't slow down the run too much. This also gave me the advantage to clear the nobles when teleporting back, as they stopped teleporting randomly, without any intrusion. The blue key part was rather easy as I had a lot of plasma. There isn't an archvile in HMP, but on UV it depends on how you develop yourself, in which case hide and seek is safer, given that like rdwpa and lirui1001 commented, monsters can block you, jumping on the stairs could probably cause wall bumping (correct me if I'm wrong), or a rocket. 

Finally, I can conclude that this map, is good after all. Bye

Edited by galileo31dos01 : forgot to delete my first run

MAP08: Rules of Death, by franckFRAG|9:25|99% kills|

9NQIy47.png

My experience with this map:

Death

Death

Death

Hell Knight Room (3 times)

Look on this thread to see solutions

Find secret BFG 

win

uhhh it's a good map tho, great layout, exacting combat as you'd expect frankFRAG to deliver on, it's just... haven't played a difficult Doom set in a while so the concept of "run for it" had been lost in my head. Tip for those still stuck, take out the PEs immediately or you're gonna get flooded from head to toe with lost souls.

ooJ2GVq.png

map08 fda

+ MIDI + darkness and multiple little drop-offs and routes = lovely atmosphere

+ i especially liked that the BFG tempts you to look for a way to get it and lures you into the water/blood/mud which leads to another secret. dont know if that's intentional but its cool

+ HK reveal + set-up is very intimidating, speeding past them, picking up the BFG and working out how to corral them is satisfying. which leads me to...

- ...i think this whole encounter is a little bit unbalanced (difficulty wise) between the first time you play it, versus a second play with foreknowledge.

- the cyberdemon; i think a walled corridor is better than a drop, a drop encourages/promotes bad play and falling off the platform, or spamming him from below. the whole encounter just doesnt work for me. can you even get him to infight with the HKs? i also didnt like the AV; he's just out of a good distance for autoaim to hit him, running about on the platform.

2 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Those 2 revs look like best friends! 

Thats one awesome screenshot.

1 hour ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Tip for those still stuck, take out the PEs immediately or you're gonna get flooded from head to toe with lost souls.

That's what happened to me on my first run, I thought it was dickish to place pain elementals there until I found out about the bridge, it didn't prevent the soul spamming but I was in a better position this time.

MAP06 - Stony Halls

This is basically a well designed "normal" map. It has a good layout and fighting monsters coming from all directions is fun.

However there's nothing remarkable about it, the visuals are also just like everything else in the wad.

MAP07 - Caughtisle

Dead simple with cyberdemons, not much to say about it, I guess making the cybers block some teleports was clever.

There were more spheres than necessary for what you have to fight so this was actually easier than most dead simples.

MAP08 - Rules of Death

Now we are starting to get some more interesting setups.

I died the first time on the invisible bridge because I didn't know that it was there and I was not expecting the pain elementals, the next time I just killed everything by camping from the entrance, not very well designed IMO.

The encounter with the hell knights was a lot cooler, I just ran in a panic and stumbled onto the secret BFG by accident so I just used that to kill them.

MAP09 - Ruined kingdom

I liked how this reminded me a lot of that level in plutonia whitout directly copying much from it.

The visuals are the best so far, I liked all the views to "outside" the map.

The best part was the room with the red key, it gave me some very nice panic moments and yet I somehow managed not to die.

100% kills, 3/3 secrets

I like the way the map opens up at the start - it's certainly different from the player's expectation (KDITD-style small room with a door to open) but doesn't spring a rude trap on the player either, so it doesn't feel like a gotcha moment. And that certainly is a lot of hell knights, but I like the way this encounter was designed (running back gets you pinned and killed, and the secret helps win the day with a bit of searching). The cyberdemon at the very end was a bit lame by comparison.

MAP09 - Ruined 'Kingdom'

GLBoom-Plus - UV Pistol Start - Saves

SQmRK7Z.png

I found no part of this level enjoyable.

There is plenty of ammo around, but all the wrong types! The ammo in the level is mostly bullets and shells, but the enemies are, for the most part, mid-to-high tier. Rockets and cells are both at a premium, which is terrible because they would make the combat much less tedious.

Let's go through a brief section of the map, the red key section. Once you head into the large room with the four switches, you are faced with four hell knights and eight cacodemons, plus some chaingunners for good measure. Once you slowly get rid of those and flip the switches, you are greeted with two revenants and an archvile. Once you grab the red key, you head into a hallway with seven revenants. Around the corner is an arachnotron. When you lower the elevator at the end of the hall you are greeted with a mancubus, then two more once you reach the top. Throughout this entire section, I had no rockets, no cells, nothing to speed up the tedium in any way. I had to kill everything with the super shotgun. That's not fun or difficult, it's just irritating and tedious.

Most of the other parts of the level aren't fun either. The arachnotron tunnel immediately comes to mind. Turn a corner, kill an arachnotron. Turn a corner, kill another. Turn another corner, guess what? By the time I reached the ending fight (still without any rockets or anything), I just got sick of it and quit.

Edited by Spie812

MAP09 - Ruined Kingdom:

I was initially down on this map: the gameplay's nice enough, but I was getting a similar "rooms connected by hallways" vibe that I got from MAP05. I'd say that the tasteful detail and interesting rooms made me warm up to it after a while, but all in all the structure of the map itself is a bit overly linear. I get the feeling that gameplay was the primary focus in this entry, as it's pretty solid and challenging without turning ridiculous like the HK swarm in the last map. The little inaccessible areas were cute, although they didn't completely distract me from the layout.

On the other hand...maybe I'm expecting maps to conform to how I want them to be out of some ideal I hold as to what the perfect map is. Honestly the layout isn't that bad and the red key room in particular was a lovely little standout, if a bit simple to cheese. This ain't a bad map by any stretch of the imagination and all things considered I had fun with it. And that's what matters.