Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Your favorite thing about Doom

Best PVP in an FPS game! Love me some deathmatch!

I love everything about Doom though tbh, very very few things that even remotely bother me.

- Size and the ease of download, I downloaded doom on some of the IT computers in school, on my teacher's computer when he was gone, on my computer ( duh ), my mom's laptop, on my phone ( eltechs ) etc. Also doom fires up and closes fast you could jump into doom for 2 minutes and leave without problem

- Map making community, there's a new wad to play everyday, there's tons of them and you could make a wad yourself, also awesome mods.

- Gameplay of course :)

The gameplay. As far as I'm concerned, Doom has held up really damn well when it comes to the gameplay. The fact that it set the standard for its time should be enough indication - the likes of Duke Nukem 3D took the foundation Doom laid and built upon it. It's not very often I find a modern FPS, AAA or indie, with gameplay as fun as Doom's.

- You kill tons of demons from Hell with ease, but the game is still balanced to be challenging so it meets the balance of feeling powerful, while also remaining vulnerable if you don't stay on your toes.

- You kill demons with weapons that are low-tech enough to be relateable and recognizable, but high-tech enough to make you feel like you have access to some really expensive, high-quality "toys" that create really satisfying results (that is, being very powerful and good for killing lots of demons with).

- It's silly and unrealistic, but done in a way so that it doesn't break immersion (because basically, it's so cool that you don't feel like giving a shit about how unrealistic and unbelievable it is).

Addendum to my earlier post: I also like that the mechanics are so solid, but simultaneously flexible, that they support multiple genres of level design, each with their own criteria for good play. That's something very few games can boast.

Dungeon-crawlers, arcadey trap-based levels, arena combat, open/city levels, slaughtermaps, etc. Each are completely viable and have their own scales, tropes, difficulty ceilings, etc. It's shocking that that can be managed while sharing core gameplay elements.

Edited by Cipher

The moodiness and atmosphere, the art style, the palette, the sound design and music, the emphasis on exploration and secrets, the combat, the bestiary, the weapons, the endless potential for customization via mapping, modding and source ports.

Cacodemons.

No other piece of art quite demonstrates the elegance of pointing a shotgun at a demon's head and watching it split apart as its body slumps over in a defeated pile of gore.

So yeah, everything.

This is definitely going to seem like a cop-out, but well, everything about Doom is absolutely amazing to me. The amazing gameplay that still holds up over two decades later, the amazing metal soundtrack composed by bobby prince, the doom engine in general being an incredible work of art by an extremely talented programmer, the community that is definitely the BEST modding community for any game I've ever seen and has a fuckload of content for the game. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

It's a perfect storm of tech and inspiration.  It bridges the gap between old arcade sensibilities and modern immersion. It looks old but plays well giving it a timelessness that no other game has ever captured.

If Doom was an album it would be Black Sabbath's Vol 4.

A true font of inspiration for everything in its sphere that came after it.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Best PVP in an FPS game! Love me some deathmatch!

I love everything about Doom though tbh, very very few things that even remotely bother me.

Ahh! That PVP, I wish I could play, well, some day I will, but I live in CA, so, Am I going to have bad ping? :C

1 hour ago, Average said:

It's a perfect storm of tech and inspiration.  It bridges the gap between old arcade sensibilities and modern immersion. It looks old but plays well giving it a timelessness that no other game has ever captured.

If Doom was an album it would be Black Sabbath's Vol 4.

A true font of inspiration for everything in its sphere that came after it.

It could be The Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road,  Countdown to Extinction, Black Album,V: The New Mythology Suite, etc. So many great things, Doom is just amazing.

Oh man. I love so much about doom. Hard choice between the amazing wad community, the gameplay, or the graphics. But its gonna be the Wad creators. They create such interesting wads and it makes me love Doom so much its insane. 

Wad creators are great, no doubt about it, but don't forget the devs behind the ports and the tools to make wads.

4 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Ahh! That PVP, I wish I could play, well, some day I will, but I live in CA, so, Am I going to have bad ping? :C

Well, many of us play with bad ping (myself included) because it's just that darn good. The source port devs have done really well to make gameplay stable even when you do have some lag. Like Empyre said, they definitely deserve appreciation!

It has an engine simple enough to be easy to edit (create maps, edit lumps) but in the same time is too complex to make a fun (unlike Wolfenstein 3D with the 90 angle degree boring environment).

Its a fun game

on a serious note, Doom is the game that made me start level designing for games, so it will always have a place in my heart for being the one

It's approachable yet deep and rewards experimentation. It's a perfect marriage of pulp theme and kinetic gameplay. But most of all I love the community that supports this game and keeps it alive. Just for the love of playing, refining and expanding the game. Doom is an incredible expression of generosity of spirit while being metal as fuck. How cool is that?

19 hours ago, pnptcn said:

It's approachable yet deep and rewards experimentation. It's a perfect marriage of pulp theme and kinetic gameplay. But most of all I love the community that supports this game and keeps it alive. Just for the love of playing, refining and expanding the game. Doom is an incredible expression of generosity of spirit while being metal as fuck. How cool is that?

A diamond in its purest form, just to cool for us, a gift to the gaming community.

Killing? Lol something about shooting an enemy just feels very satishfying that no other weapon mod has given me the same feelings.....

Only vanilla weapon set and maybe things like weapons of saturn to me doom is one of the most perfect games created especially doom 2

I like action in Doom. Well made things never makes me bored(like searching well hidden secrets or watching how cybedemon kills barons of hell), I can even experience some jumpscares in Doom if things go to unexpected way.

Also, it makes me feel strong, because I play as strongest character in earth(and universe maybe) and I can put my fustrations in his pain while while he gets damage from demons. Yeah. It's a nice game and I still discover hidden things in original maps despise playing quite long.

imho "Barney Doom" will always be best mod ever made, it really set the bar way up

----------

UAC HQ:

----------

Commander: "We have a mission for you Doomguy, the hellspawn have cloned Barney and now they're using armies of him as a weapon."

"Barney the Big Purple Dinosaur? He's got a great big heart for all of his best friends, so then, that must mean he's got big guts." - Doomguy

Commander: "Most of the reports from our science team say yes. It does mean that."

"Well then... *sips coffee* ...Rip and tear." - Doomguy

Commander: *looks out the window, crying gently to himself*