Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

New name without "Doom" in it?

I know this subject has been brought up countless times, but in light of Bethesda/Zenimax's protectiveness, I think keeping the name "Freedoom" is treading on thin ice and potentially invites legal action. It's probably better to come up with something new before anything happens, IMO.

I know there's some attachment to the name (it's a pun/portmanteau, it's been the project name since forever, etc) but I think there's a lot more risk in using the name now than there was 10 years ago.

Have you decided what the game is gonna be about yet

3 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Pissed off buff man breaks out of prison and Kills everything.

oh nvm

I always thought Freedom was the canon name but sure lets go with Froodeem.

11 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Have you decided what the game is gonna be about yet

I did. Dunno about other people there... so that's why I work on my own.

The hypothetical problem is about the presence of the word "Doom" in the name, so changing the position of Doom in the name would not have any meaningful impact on the question.

Call it something similar and still short, like "Death" or "Destiny" or "Fate".

Mor(duh)th.... what?

alright let's try the "the Voidshiper".

BUT, if to be really serious, if you'll change current way, there will not be "Doom for all, because it's free and not abusing copyrights" anymore. Different game, yes. But not the "Doom for all, because it's free and not abusing copyrights"

1 hour ago, printz said:

Destiny

Already in use.

1 hour ago, printz said:

Fate

Same

Edited by CWolf : QUOTES!!!

7 hours ago, CWolf said:

Mor(duh)th.... what?

alright let's try the "the Voidshiper".

BUT, if to be really serious, if you'll change current way, there will not be "Doom for all, because it's free and not abusing copyrights" anymore. Different game, yes. But not the "Doom for all, because it's free and not abusing copyrights"

Already in use.

Same

You’re bringing up a terrible point: that now we’re avoiding common nouns because Zenimax has the crap habit of threatening anyone who uses just part of their games’ names, which are generic words, in their own games. The words I said are really generic. Why do I still endorse Doom and implicitly Zenimax, while they practice this sort of thing?

How about "FreeTech1" Because the game is free *of course* and it's using IdTech 1.

Edited by MrD!zone

Is Open Arena potentially in trouble? It uses the "Arena" of Quake 3 Arena, does it not? Surely ZeniMax won't go that far right?

Same goes for Freedoom. Remember, it's one word, not two. 

On 09.10.2017 at 9:19 AM, MrD!zone said:

How about "FreeTech1" Because the game is free *of course* and it's using IdTech 1.

That sounds more like a tech demo or development kit than a game (which it probably is; I mean the biggest attraction I see in Freedoom is the possibility to distribute it with software to qualify it as a full game).

There's a lot of "Freedom" but doesn't that miss the glorious many layers of Freed∞m?

On 10/9/2017 at 3:10 AM, Voros said:

Is Open Arena potentially in trouble? It uses the "Arena" of Quake 3 Arena, does it not? Surely ZeniMax won't go that far right?

Same goes for Freedoom. Remember, it's one word, not two. 

The issue with this is that Arena in Quake III Arena is a subtitle, and an incredibly generic one at that. Open Quake is a helluva lot riskier than Open Arena, as an example, despite also just being one of the words from the title with "Open" slapped in front of it.

So obviously there's quite a big difference between Open Arena and FreeDoom, given that the latter has the entirety of the base game's name in its title. Though there probably would be a risk free way of including the word doom in the title by not making it the title; Abyssal Sunder Soldier: Labyrinth of Absolute Doom, anyone?