Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

The Magnanimous Mancubus Model Mystery

The most logical conclusion would be that the original broke, and they made a new one.

The models seem to be prone to breaking. Here's a photo of the Spider Mastermind model with a busted leg.

Spider_Mastermind_model.jpg

It was apparently never fixed.

Pmwa8J7.jpg

Latex simply doesn't hold up after all those years, and the originals have likely melted into goo long ago. Would you expect a 20yo condom to be still in one piece?

God, I love you people. #MancubusTruth

Also someone needs to throw together sprite edits matching the modern model vs 94' model with the harness and shoulder pads!

Edited by Captain Ventris

I've noticed the discrepancy but just figured two were made and one was an unused backup or something.

To a give a rough timeline to the events chronicled here, perhaps the earliest post-development images we have of the Doom latex models are from John Romero as posted here on his SmugMug account: https://romero.smugmug.com/Video-Games/The-Archives/

These particular photos are unfortunately undated, but they appear (quote obviously, actually) to be pre-digital developed photographs judging by the scanning artifacts. This would put them at mid-90s, likely before Romero left id after Quake. The important matter to note is that, even in these very early images, the Spider Mastermind model is already using Punchatz's newly recast head rather than the original digitized head. Note the recast head has deep red blood painted into the crevices, a telltale difference not seen in the original model.

This suggests that the model switcheroo, at least for the Spider Mastermind but potentially also for the Mancubus, occurred almost immediately after Doom 2's development. This is not surprising based on Punchatz's story of having created them due to the original models being damaged during animation, but this also means the original Mancubus that has bedazzled us in-game for nearly a quarter of a century actually disappeared not long after it entered the spotlight. And unlike the Spider Mastermind, we don't know the current whereabouts of that original Mancubus cast or if it even survives to this day.

In its place, we have a false idol purporting itself as the true Fatso, but we know better. The real Mancubus may not be living out his days in glamour inside of a display case in id Software's lobby, but he will surely live forever in our hearts. And DOOM2.WAD.

And yet, there's still one more mystifying conundrum to tackle: the case of the missing Revenant armor vest. But that's another story...

The guns are interesting, the paint details look pretty much the same across the two models, but they're flipped on the new one, which definitely indicates its a different model (incorporating the same guns). I wouldn't be surprised if it is a newer model made for display, incorporating some parts from the old one.

28 minutes ago, Gpunchatz said:

I still have the mastermind skin.

The only person to have collected a spider mastermind pelt, impressive. 

35 minutes ago, Gpunchatz said:

I still have the mastermind skin.

Photos, if possible?

2 hours ago, Gpunchatz said:

Indeed the original mancubus skin was recast for display , the original skin was pretty beat up after the animation process.

Much appreciation for the insight, Mr. Punchatz, and of course your work for Doom as a whole. Just out of curiosity, did you also recast the Revenant or Arch-vile models for display purposes as well?

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

Photos, if possible?

He posted a photo of the original Spider Mastermind skin on his Facebook page.

I did not recast any of the others, in fact I can say the molds for the other Doom characters are gone as wellthey went the way of the Arlington landfill.... :( I wish I had a clue how popular these guys would become way back then.

I still have the molds for the spider mastermind and mancubus... one of these days I will pull my own copies.

G

18 hours ago, Gpunchatz said:

they went the way of the Arlington landfill.... :(

Anyone here live over that way and own a shovel? You know what you must do.

Is it a possibility that they intentionally mutilated the models for the death sequences, or were those hand drawn? Both the Mastermind and the mancubus have extremely gory deaths which destroy a large part of their body.