Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gav391

I want your opinions on video games. For science!

Hey all,

I've made a survey that tells you what type of gamer personality you are. Are you an Immersion Engineer, or an Escape Artist? Do you battle with real people or seclude to the shadows in a world of your own making?

The reason why I made it is to gather research on people's gaming behaviours. This study for my masters thesis at The University of Sydney. Now as a gamer myself (WoW Heroic Tomb of Sargaras Raider), I feel like I have a good grasp of the gaming community, but as with all things, you need to do the research to confirm/disconfirm these assumptions.

The survey itself is looking to explore information about:

• Different aspects of your personality

• What video games you play

• How much you play by yourself and with other people

• The impacts of your video game use on your daily life

You can find a link to the survey and more information here (you might need to disable adblocker):

https://sydneypsy.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9WtE0LKWzw4yvBz

So let me know what you think. Do you think I guessed right? What did I miss?

One more thing. A survey like this is limited, and doesn't give people a voice to add what they want to say. I really encourage open opinions about the video game community and maybe how the news and public have a negative view of video games. Whenever I present, I add the personal messages people have sent me to encourage other researchers to remember that we are people too, not just numbers. Tell me what you think and let me know if I can share your comments in my presentations.

Thank you,

Gavin

Well that was a long survey. With redundant questions. I suppose to make sure we pay attention.

You registered just to make that post?

The personality profile couldn't be more incorrect. I suppose its the "which game have you most played in the past 2 weeks" and then asking follow up questions about said game without taking into account it could be a new game that we play start to finish, then move on. I'd wager that the survey could have been 25% of what it was and still get the same conclusions.

Just now, Voros said:

So I'm an Escape Artist and Reclusive Tactician.

huh.

No. I'm an escape artist and a reclusive tactician!

No way either of you are, because it told me I was an escape artist and a reclusive tactician!

Interestingly, I don't use video games to escape reality or anything. I just play them cause it's entertainment.

Although a part of me can be considered as a reclusive tactician.

11 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

No way either of you are, because it told me I was an escape artist and a reclusive tactician!

We all need to reclusive tactician together to escape this prison that is Doomworld!

9 minutes ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

Seems like a lot of people are getting Scape Artist and Reclusive Tactician... including me.

We can clearly wee you're a ghoul desecrator without the survey.

Well, it was fun and quick. I'm just reclusive tactician and escape artist. Quite accurate considering how much stress I feel sometimes.

Video games are a way to explore many different ideas and experiences in self-contained universes, effectively living numerous lives without interfering with the one I already have. Also they're just fun.

1 hour ago, Mason. said:

Reclusive Tactician, and Masterful Traveller. I guess that works.

Same. Fits me, I guess.

Clan Lord and Immersion Engineer... the second bit is spot-on, as I usually bounce between games and genres quite a bit and quite frequently.  Part of that is how quickly I get bored with a game, and part of it is that I play a lot of repetitive 80s and 90s arcade games.  I mean, I can only play so much Galaga, regardless of how much I love it ^_^;

The Clan Lord bit only sorta makes sense because I almost never play multiplayer.  WoW is the exception, but that's because I'm forced to play multiplayer with it.  But I do talk about games with friends quite a bit, so I guess that's where the social nature of "Clan Lord" could be applicable.  But by that point, I'm essentially making the same jump that people do with horoscopes, where something is general enough that it could be applicable to most people with a bit of mental gymnastics.

clan-lord.png

immersion-engineer.png

Rec_tac.png.17426bde18a4135458d19c511226d0d2.png

Partially correct, though I play single player games for the purpose of comparing my indiviual achievements in a competitive environment. Narrative is nothing I am particularly interested in, I listen to a story once, if at all. Had I wanted a story telling experience, I would have watched a movie. I am one of those who mash buttons to get past annoying dialogue boxes. I want gameplay. I do agree that I tend to hate video games that aim at nothing but wasting my time by way of forcing me to hamsterwheel stuff in order to make a progress, especially if they "disrespect" gameplay skills on a fundamental level.

Imm_engi.png.be31f830d6d93868e831b80492447d61.png

More wrong than correct. I do play lots of different types of games, most of which aren't so much about immersion to begin with, but I have a very strong primary focus on very few games that I have chosen to improve on. And I stick to these games for a long time, often up to several years.

I find it strange that this is presented as a university study, yet comes across as a cheap Facebook "personality/who are you from x" survey, with answers that seem as descriptive and relevant as astrology... maybe I'm just seeing it wrong... Idk. 

Clan Lord and Immersion Engineer? Seriously??

I pretty much said all I play is Doom, but I'm interested in action/adventure and RPGs. I also said I dabble with multiplayer but I mostly play alone.

Survey: Oh, you're one of those social gamers who likes a wide variety of games!

:-P

More wrong than correct for me too, I also got "Clan Lord" and "Escape artist". I've more or less stopped playing on-line because of the actual stress involved with trying to achieve something in-game. I just don't have the time to learn 100 hotkeys and practice for several hundred hours to "git gud enough" to play online. (Yeah, I dropped out with Starcraft 2 :) These days I just play the Worms games over the net with my brother and maybe 1-2 random russians who may or may not join us. I almost exclusively play single player games, so I can quit whenever I want.

Also, the "Escape artist" missed my actual methods of escape. When I do, I smoke TOTALLY LEGAL THINGS or have a few beers. And sometimes I mix it up with a pwad.

12 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I find it strange that this is presented as a university study, yet comes across as a cheap Facebook "personality/who are you from x" survey, with answers that seem as descriptive and relevant as astrology... maybe I'm just seeing it wrong... Idk. 

I'm pretty sure the idea of this test has nothing to do with determining anybody's "gaming personality" to begin with. If I were to make a guess, then it's more about a disguised approach to figuring out what sort of games tend to be more addictive for people, if the "How many arguments have you had with XXX about the time you spend playing games section" is any indication.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm pretty sure the idea of this test has nothing to do with determining anybody's "gaming personality" to begin with. If I were to make a guess, then it's more about a disguised approach to figuring out what sort of games tend to be more addictive for people, if the "How many arguments have you had with XXX about the time you spend playing games section" is any indication.

That's what I gathered, too.  Maybe the "gaming personality" thing is just sort of a simple reward for those who complete it, thereby giving a simple incentive.

What's all that stuff about doing stupid things when you're in a great mood? I couldn't relate to it at all.

18 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

That's what I gathered, too.  Maybe the "gaming personality" thing is just sort of a simple reward for those who complete it, thereby giving a simple incentive.

It's the same old same old. You get drawn in by expecting an answer that you didn't need to get answered to begin with. Then you answer the "easy" questions, and eventually you'll also answer the more uncomfortable questions in pursuit of that answer as well, because you're "committed". It's "playground-psychology". Feel free to make a guess as to what my answers in regards to the psychological aspect of this survey have been (No quarter given ;-)).