Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

On 8 октября 2017 г. at 6:13 AM, HexenMapper said:

There is also an area on E2M4 where you can fall down and get stuck once the stairs raise from the water. These areas will just have to remain, a player can 'kitty' /noclip out of them if necessary.

In this place you can omit the column, so that the player does not get stuck. Use 'kitty' is not necessary for E2M4.

52 minutes ago, PVS said:

In this place you can omit the column, so that the player does not get stuck. Use 'kitty' is not necessary for E2M4.

Thats true, removing the column would solve the problem, and in fact, looking at the map BeeWen has provided a "Lift_Lower_wait_Raise" trigger that lowers the column, allowing the player to escape. So there is no problem there :)

I've added the updated version of danielhday's map and we are now 1.6 (Link is the same)

I just wanted to say that I've played through the mapset a couple of times now and I really enjoy it.  There are some nice moments (changing scenery etc) in most of the maps and some pretty fresh ideas.

I played through with the vanilla weapons, Doom Weapons in Heretic and Descent into Heresy and each playthrough was equally fun and balanced.

Well done guys and gals.  Looking forward to DUMP 2. :)

I see that E1M6 by Jon is not working now on vanilla engines, in the alpha version this map worked normally on Heretic+ and Crispy. Noticed the mention about tag 666 in txt, I'm not sure if you still need this information, but in original Heretic - tag 666 works only on ExM8 maps and depends from the episode. Iron Lich can be the boss with working tag 666 on E1M8, E4M8; Maulotaur on E2M8, E5M8; D'Sparil on E3M8 (as in the original iwad). It's easy to check, if you move E1M6 to E1M8 slot - the exit sector will normally down to the floor after the all Lich'es death. Death of Iron Lich bosses on E1M8 not kill the rest monsters, on E4M8 - kill.

Doomsday works correctly as the original game in this part, for this reason, this problem is obtained for this port.

Edited by PVS

Thanks for the report PVS, we are aware that a lot of things don't work in vanilla - many of the boss actions being map specific. Thankfully our intended port is zdoom / GZDoom so we have arranged maps in order with regards to pace, length and difficulty rather that being forced to put certain maps in certain slots.

E1M5 uses a boss action, as does E1M6 and E2M2 (and likely E2M8 - I better check that one... :) )

Yeah map ordering was/is @HexenMapper's decision and I won't challenge it. Even if I had the e1m8 slot you wouldn't be able to reach the level via progression in crispy I think due to the other zdoom requirements in earlier maps. If you build the map source independently from the WADCSRC lump (or grab the autobuilt version from https://redmars.org/wadc/examples/#_birds_wl  ) it uses the e1m8 slot 

Of course guys, I know well that this project is oriented on ZDoom's ports, but for my personal reasons I use vanilla engines for play this maps, which of them is possible for vanilla or limit removing ports.

HexenMapper
About 'During the Ceremony' we talked with BeeWen some time ago, but then this map was in E1M1 slot. Now, when map used E2M8 slot we get an interesting and unusual situation for vanilla engines: main boss on the map is the Maulotaur, not D'Sparil. If player kill all Maulotaur's - he also kill all rest monsters and 1/2 D'Sparil (Serpent), heh. Further, if fight with D'Sparil, he can spawn Disciple's and then D'Sparil die - all his Disciple's die too. Then this map in E2M8 slot it generates something like a double boss kills for rest monsters, it's fun and interesting, in my opinion, I do not see here any problems with gameplay, even vice versa - for player possible different strategies, which is good. BeeWen not used 666 tag here, for this reason, there is no confusion with too early opening the exit if Maulotaur's die. I do not know how ZDoom's works with this map, but I'm sure that you know this better.

4 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Is this considered the final/idgames-ready release now, or was there still some testing going on?

I think yes since there haven't been any new bugs found recently but we will have to ask @HexenMapper

We seem to be on the final version (1.666) and no updates for a while so yes, I will upload to idgames some time in the next few days

EDIT: It has been submitted to /incoming

Edited by HexenMapper

6 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

We seem to be on the final version (1.666) and no updates for a while so yes, I will upload to idgames some time in the next few days

EDIT: It has been submitted to /incoming

Did you write a wadinfo.txt ?  I wasn't sure whether you were going to ask mappers for details to put in it (build time, tools used, or anything else)

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Did you write a wadinfo.txt ?  I wasn't sure whether you were going to ask mappers for details to put in it (build time, tools used, or anything else)

yep I wrote a wadinfo.txt - essentially the current text file but in the correct format and without the fancy title.

If I had planned ahead a bit I could have gathered all the information like build time and tools used, but at this stage I think the text file covers the main points. I did include WadC in the tools used :)

Thanks for this expansion people! I started to play it, it looks good, some good ideas!
I missed Heretic maps/expansions! :)

EDIT: I played the 3 first maps, short but still fun to play it!

Edited by Manhs

The maps get longer and harder as you go - there will definitely be some challenges for you there - hope you enjoy the rest of the project. The mappers all did a really great job :)

On 10/10/2017 at 1:29 PM, Average said:

I played through with the vanilla weapons, Doom Weapons in Heretic and Descent into Heresy and each playthrough was equally fun and balanced.

Then you might want to try Romero's Heresy II. A pretty cool mapset BTW.

I finished it, after e1m6, some maps are really good! I liked e1m8 and a lot of episode 2! Very cool
I hosted the wad on doomseeker with TSPG for people who want play with people in case: 149.56.242.162:10723

EDIT: Sorry, i have put the iwad of doom2 for the server, it works now!
149.56.242.162:10723

Edited by Manhs

Hey, sorry to resurrect this post, but I just downloaded this a gave it a look around! Oh, and by the way Hi Doomworld! It's been months, maybe even over a year since I posted (though I have been lurking a lot lately). I love me some Heretic so this is very exciting to me! Episode 2 looks amazing! Can't wait to give this a full play though.