Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
z34chris

Wad2UDMF

Does anyone use or have questions about Wad2UDMF?  Would anyone like an update or something fixed?  I am working on another project currently and will also look into working on this one as well.

As a one step approach to convert Doom format pwads directly to UDMF?

Instead of the two step approach Doom format to Hexen format with zwadconv.exe and then Hexen format to UDMF with WAD2UDMF?

Will it convert all specials faithfully to either format, and without extraneous vertices?

The second step of Hexen format to UDMF is already covered adequately by GZDoom Builder and therefore also GZDoom Builder - Bugfix.

I covered these processes in my tutorial

okay, could I be pointed to a wad file to run through wad2udmf so that I can address the extraneous vertices issue?

I ran into a problem with the new version 0.3.7.5

dIyjQgR.png

Conversion is done via a batch file

wad2udmf.exe -i canyon.wad -o Ucanyon.wad

The original file is 619KB, the resulting file is 1.32 MB and cannot be opened with Slade3.

Maybe the hex header helps

hja6Anm.png

Edited by Kappes Buur : added images

Alright, besides the zdoom demo.wad and dark7.wad, what is a good wad to run through wad2udmf to fully test it out?

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, Kappes Buur said:

My goto test map is usually Enjay's Gene-Tech map01

I had to do some transplanting and came up with an 8.23 meg udmf to drop into that pk3 file, the map seems to function and everything looks like it is in place.

Edited by z34chris : didnt specify units

Conversion to UDMF works.

But, as in the previous versions, the vertex count increases significantly

Spoiler

59dbcb0c9fabc_extravertices.png.b0a4901d5b1950c7aab0ff416203a533.png

To get rid of those, one has to run the converted map through the Map Analysis (F4) tool in GZDB or GZDBBF.

Edited by Kappes Buur

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Hide contents

To get rid of those, one has to run the converted map through the Map Analysis (F4) tool in GZDB or GZDBBF.

Which wad and which editor are you using? I have ran tab8.wad, void.wad, demo.wad(zdoom demo), HR.wad, njgtb4ts.pk3 and doom2 unconverted maps through the 0.3.7.6b version and then reading the maps back in slade 3 while not encountering extra vertices.  Is it possible that slade 3 is hiding vertices?  What type of a test would you recommend I run to check for extra vertices?  Other than the vertices related problem, is everything else working?

Edited by z34chris : missed a wad file

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:50 AM, Mordeth said:

I'd like a Eternity-Doom to Eternity-UDMF converter, which takes ExtraData lumps into account...

After looking at some eternity file formats and giving consideration to wad2udmf, the program already copies over other lumps in the wad file including mapinfo and whatever arbitrary extradata scripts associated with mapinfo.  as for the specific things and linedefs, some of the data may not be copied over and that will have to be addressed.  Do you have any eternity wads that you recommend?

Edited by z34chris

5 hours ago, z34chris said:

Btw...where exactly is 'Canyon.wad'? it seems as if it isn't on the internet so far lol

Canyon.wad is just a doodle on my harddrive.

I ran GENE_TECH through WAD2UDMF with these results:

First the original map loaded into GZDBBF

Spoiler

tYg5Zhu.png

19940 vertices

This is the map after conversion with Wad2UDMF 0.3.7.6b

Spoiler

b2LREaB.png

26606 vertices

Now a comparison of the converted map between GZDBBF and Slade3:
As you can see there are quite a few extra vertices with GZDBBF

Spoiler

6yd5jPr.png

but these vertices do not show up in Slade3

Spoiler

ONVtx52.png

Then I saved the map from Slade3 with a new name and opened it with GZDBBF.

Spoiler

AsJ99TQ.png

Slade3 did suppress the extra vertices.

Now I don't know why the extra vertices show up originally in GZDBBF. 

19 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Hide contents

Those are probably vertices created by the node builder for the SEGS lump. For Doom and Hexen format the DB2 family silently drops them - but not so for UDMF.

Good information.  I have only been using slade 3, so if any errors show up in another editor, feel free to discuss here.

I will double check what version I am running.  If it was a udmf version, then does the udmf work the same way as zdoom?  I shouldn't encounter any problems?

I got the latest version from October 11 (today at the time of writing), and tried to load a udmf map and udmforig.wad with no dice.  I have even changed the udmf namespace to "Eternity" still with no dice.  Am I missing something?

I downloaded portals_udmf.wad and that works in eternity.  I had to add the 'behavior' and 'znodes' lump entries to get a converted wad to work.  Now I receive an error that udmf does not support vanilla bsp.  Is Eternity very strict when it handles udmf?   *Update* Solved so far with nodes builder and addition of 'behavior' and 'znodes' lump entries.  vaprdemo otherwise converts and runs but without various eternity specific additions which I will have to work on.

Edited by z34chris : progress update

There are zero EE Hexen maps, since its support is not finished. You may want to talk directly to the EE devs if you have questions about the udmf specs.