Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchDoomer

Do You Prefer Freelook or Mouselook? Vanilla Doom or With Mods?

Im just curious to see what most people prefer way of playing

I prefer my setup kinda vanilla like usually without any mods and no mouselook just free look so NO vertical

i also like keyboard only but im still Learning that one lol but i do prefer a crosshair and uncapped framerate So u guess Its not rly true vanilla..

Ive tried mods like brutal doom i couldnt get into it only thing i like from brutal is hit detection shooting of limbs and death animation wish there was a seperate mod for just that..

i know theres a death animation mod but Its not the same im talking about of u shoot off his leg he will hop around etc..

freelook and mouselook mean the same thing friend

but i play without them because the weapon sprites start lookin' pretty ugly when you look up and down :c

This question was asked a lot of times, heh. 

Well, I mostly play with freelook if I use modern ports like gzdoom, but when I test maps for people or my stuff I prefer to play it on prboom+ with switched off freelook and with added line parameters to see how map will affected. Yeah, that's my stuff. Also, I use fullscreen with laptop screen settings, because I don't feel nostalgic towards smaller screen sizes.

I assume this is a looking up and down (freelook) on or off thread. My answer is both:

bind f "toggle freelook; centerview"

Usually off, and I generally only turn it on in multiplayer games, though I don't really know why.

I always wonder where the term "freelook" even came from, as I know "mouselook" existed as far back as Quake and always meant being able to look in any direction with the mouse.

Oh god, another debate on whether mouselook and freelook are synonyms.

Ffs, mouselook means horizontal only; freelook means vertical as well.

I use freelook occasionally, but via a "mouse look" key and lookspring.

4 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Is that an actual, commonly agreed upon definition? Because if so, then, you know, gotta get the word out there.... Assuming this is correct, it's mouselook, but something tells me I can ask 80 different people and get 160 different opinions about this...

3 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

I use freelook occasionally, but via a "mouse look" key and lookspring.

I used to believe this myself, but the consensus in the thread I made told me that I was wrong. 

FWIW, Doom Wiki has been redirecting mouselook to freelook since 2010, with no mention of it in the actual freelook article, suggesting they are the same. I always thought they were, personally.

20 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Not going to answer this question unless somebody tells me what the difference between freelook and mouselook is. Have fun...

Probably mouselook means using mouse to look left and right, which is very normal in modern standard. Freelook means looking up and down, which is not included in vanilla Doom experience. However apparently, OP thinks the total opposite of my opinion, so I don't know... BTW, please don't omit the ' in the sentence.

BTW, good job, @Ajora. Somebody came up with a totally same idea with ya ;P  If you ask me, I use mouse to look around, but no up and down. I definitely will go as vanilla as possible.

When I play mods, I tend to use GZDoom and use mouselook (of the vertical and horizontal variety).

When I play "Vanilla with sprinkles", as I call it, I use ZDoom with mouselook disabled and with a multitude of aesthetic mods such as bloodfixer, smoothweapons, caulkpc etc.

Mouse look and free look are the same thing. I have no idea why using the mouse under vanilla conditions would even need a term. It's the standard way of playing for a long-ass time. If you're doing the keyboard-only thing or playing with a controller then that deserves a mention. 

To answer the question: I prefer free look unless I'm playing in Software Mode and usually only use cosmetic visual/sound mods if I feel like it. 

Horizontal keyboard-only look, only used freelook or vertical whatever in Hellbound because it was recommended, just to see the marvelous detailing. Heretic Treasure Chest has some obligatory vertical look situations. I have never felt the need to look up or down more than what the screen allows. So that means, I don't use the mouse at all. Vanilla-ish with extra features that are not present in the DOS exe files, like automap stats, recolored linedefs, secret revealed messages, higher resolution; depending on the source ports, on GlBoom+ I have set "Monster forget their previous target" on (or something like that) because I like to hear cybers and masterminds cheering their victories from other parts of the map, something that vanilla has inherently on.

As I understood it in the olden times, mouselook referred to simply using a mouse at all, whereas freelook referred specifically to looking up and down. I think this was relatively commonly accepted around the dawn of source ports and very early 00s, but for a long time now, it's been the case people use the terms interchangeably.

I think this is the result of some early ports having "mouselook sensitivity" options despite them not even having freelook capability. By contrast ports which did have freelook features referred to it specifically as "freelook". I think the two terms having (historically) different meanings is purely an outdated DOOMism, every other FPS game since would almost certainly use the terms interchangeably. Strictly within the world of Doom source ports, they refer to different things.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Edit: As far as what I do, it really depends what maps, what gamemode, etc. I love vanilla and also love modern stuff so it pretty much only depends which way the wind is blowing. A server with a good mapset and vanilla settings = I'm there. A server with modern settings, but still on a good mapset = I'm there too!

Edited by Doomkid

I can only play without freelook and mouselook if I am on PrBoom or Chocolate Doom. GZDoom I have to use it. Jump and crouch however I refuse to use unless the map I'm playing requires it.

When I play (vanilla) Doom related content, I typically like to use PrBoom, using the mouse to look left and right.

I also like to play GZDoom mods / games, but honestly I view GZDoom more as a different game-engine that happens to be based on id Tech 1. I don't think it's the correct way to play vanilla content.

Here we go again, huh.

- Keyboard only on vanilla and prboom

- Mouselook on gzdoom

- freelook on gzdoom + any over the top mods.

Mouse-free-lookspring, don't care about vanilla or modded gameplay because I can play both styles