Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Doom slaughtermap with a billion/trillion or even octillion enemies?

Has anyone attempted in a slaughtermap that has the most enemies in a map especially if you make it by the billions to even trillions or even septillion and octillion?

Now do a UV Max with the shortest time then you're a true doomer.....

(And the Last Map would have nonillion enemies would a thousand Icon of Sins generating google amount of enemies....)

I'm not sure but with GZDoom, I think you can place that many enemies in a single map. If you could place that many enemies in a map, the problem would be getting the thing to actually run on a computer.

You could ask S.E.T.I or NASA for a bit of their power to run the Doom level, for science (read: bragging rights read: octillionaire(

What would the map look like? Box or maze? You can't put doomguy in a maze with octillion imps. Could you? It would have to be a box or large connected arenas. How to configure such a thing? Any map is easier with the BFG. Where is it placed, if it is at all? So many choices really. 

You could connect and make something like a Planisphere 2 fractal, and while someone is spending the time, why not add some additional gameplay elements, that would be nice (if possible). Needs new textures as well I would think, who doesn't know that map off the back of their hand lol.

Keep climbing that mountains, Everest of Doom is out there somewhere...

If you're interested in ultra-high monster counts then check out Experiencing Nirvana.  

d2bb61dc01.png  

Maybe map 17 would interest you.

9 minutes ago, loveless said:

If you're interested in ultra-high monster counts then check out Experiencing Nirvana.  

d2bb61dc01.png  

That's just crazy...

After playing with over 100.000 monsters your computer will explode...

I cant immage, how you can play with octillion monsters - 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000!!! (10^27)

Someone should make a Vsauce-style video where they explore how long it would take to kill that many monsters with constant BFG blasts.

Neither the amount of memory in today's computers, nor today's Doom map file formats, nor internal structures of today's Doom engines, allow that many monsters to exist in today's map.

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

...nor today's Doom map file formats, nor internal structures of today's Doom engines, allow that many monsters to exist in today's map.

What's the limit?

4 hours ago, loveless said:

d2bb61dc01.png  

Let's beat this map!

Well, it's impossible to create a such level with this ammount of monsters. But we can trick this situation. Thanks to old games like Matrix: Path of Neo and Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban:

gDPyePDl.png

It's kinda a sucker punch, but still, with animated fake-textures we can create a billion of revenants. Of course, without the real monsters the such map will be stupid shit, because nothing happens. With respawning scripts this horde can be felt as "1.000.000 Monsters"

4 hours ago, Memfis said:

What's the limit?

As for map/file format, each thing in a map takes 10 bytes in the THINGS lump, and the wad file format doesn't allow lumps to have greater size than 2^32 bytes or greater offset from the beginning of the file than 2^32 bytes, so even a wad with minimal size of other lumps couldn't contain more than about 429 million things in all maps in total. If a pk3/pk7 was used instead of a wad, see limitations of the zip/7z file formats respectively.

As for engine structures, that depends on how particular ports handle wad/map loading and representation of the thing list, but I'd be surprised if any port today could load a map with more than 2^32 things even from a pk3/pk7 and on a computer with enough memory.

Edited by scifista42

Make a map with googolplex monsters and I'll be impressed.

22 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Make a map with googolplex monsters and I'll be impressed.

Pick any map with monsters, weapons, and ammo. Play it with items and monsters respawning. Done. Now you're supposed to be impressed ;-)

Will a million do ya?

wynj8qh.png

You asked for it

FDA's welcome :)

10 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Pick any map with monsters, weapons, and ammo. Play it with items and monsters respawning. Done. Now you're supposed to be impressed ;-)

Hehe that's a cool idea. Example: play NUTS map series or anything like this with item+monster respawning :D

I'd play any slaughtermaps with that amount of monters but then again Holy Hell alone is too much for my computer

13 minutes ago, R1ck said:

I'd play any slaughtermaps with that amount of monters but then again Holy Hell alone is too much for my computer

Same to me. I can't play HolyHell map05 on my pc. There are some other slaughter maps that my pc can't handle.

Also we must consider the size of each monster and how many could fit into the coordinate grid which is a 65536-sided square (range ±32768). A monster of radius r occupies a square of side 2r so the maximum number of monsters that could fit would be (floor(65536/2r))². So you have a maximum 2683044 imps of radius 20. Sorry, I meant 2683043, you also need space for the player.

13 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

maps can't have that many things to begin with, and quantity doesn't equal difficulty

I'm not sure why anyone should like this post because the first part discourages optimization and the second part answers a question that wasn't asked.

We can look at Doom 2016 as a perfect example to override strict limits. What?? I can only use 16 monsters? Re enter new monsters after existing ones have been killed.

Obviously this isn't a question of difficulty. Its a question of pushing boundaries and breaking records. Theres plenty ways to explore this avenue of sheer quantities.

3 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I'm not sure why anyone should like this post because the first part discourages optimization

It does not, because it all it states is that there are "hard limits". If somebody wants to explore on doing super huge quantities, then these limits are something worth knowing about before somebody builds something that can't work at all for reasons given.

4 minutes ago, 40oz said:

second part answers a question that wasn't asked.

it has been asked implicitly:

13 hours ago, Jannak said:

Now do a UV Max with the shortest time then you're a true doomer.....

Besides, what people like or not is not something you should worry about, because I'm not giving anybody shit for liking your derailment posts either.

6 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Obviously this isn't a question of difficulty.

The faster the max has to be, the more difficult it is to do by virtue of time constraints. But that doesn't mean more things make a map more difficult per se. A difference worth mentioning, especially for those unacquainted with the genre.

If a person would have played doom for 10 000 hours (slightly more than 1 year of playing non-stop) and have only played slaughtermaps where you can kill 5000 enemies in 1 hour, that would've been a 50 million kills.

I'm sorry for granting that youve gotten more considerate.

2 hours ago, R1ck said:

Are you using a zdoom-based port by chance?  They tend to get pretty poor performance on anything detailed or with high monster count.  Maybe Eternity or PrBoom+ would work better(provided you aren't using one of those already).