Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raido

Why you should NOT hate the pistol

These are reasons the pistol is a GOOD gun not a BAD gun..

1. it saved you from the shotgun dudes in e1m1 (ultra violence)

2. this gun will always be with you no matter if you get killed by a hoard of demons

3. it saves up your ammo for the chaingun "imagine if you are low on shotgun ammo, this gun can be your best friend"

4.this gun is your Beeeeeeeest friend

so no need to throw your butt into brutal doom and use the M16

zandronum 2017-10-12 17-08-47-244.jpg

zandronum 2017-10-12 17-09-40-046.jpg

zandronum 2017-10-12 17-15-03-018.jpg

8 minutes ago, Raido said:

1. it saved you from the shotgun dudes in e1m1 (ultra violence)

So does infighting, punching, or making a run for the shotgun.

10 minutes ago, Raido said:

2. this gun will always be with you no matter if you get killed by a hoard of demons

3. it saves up your ammo for the chaingun "imagine if you are low on shotgun ammo, this gun can be your best friend"

Fair enough, I guess

10 minutes ago, Raido said:

4.this gun is your Beeeeeeeest friend

No, it's not.

B F G !
B A E !
B F G !

B A E !

12 minutes ago, Raido said:

so no need to throw your butt into brutal doom and use the M16

As much as I dislike brutal doom, I like how it replaces the pistol with something that is usable for a long period of time.

Try playing Doom 2 with only the pistol (by using it a lot) and see if the pistol is the best....then maybe you'll change the topic question

The problem is that pistol only works on lesser monsters like zombies and imps and sometimes on lost souls. I rather use chainsaw or berserked punch than pistol in entire map. 

6 minutes ago, Memfis said:

It is also the only weapon to have a face.

BKWrfIW.png

This mighta' motivated the handgun

37 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Try playing Doom 2 with only the pistol (by using it a lot) and see if the pistol is the best....then maybe you'll change the topic question

Try playing a Jodwin map balanced according to the FFF (Finnish Frugality Formula) without the pistol and see if the other weapons are the best...

33 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I did and liked it except for the living end. 10\10 would not recommend. (At least the stupid wep is strong enough to solo it and Doom 1)

16 minutes ago, Memfis said:

It is also the only weapon to have a face.

Go back many, many years, to when I was a toddler and would sometimes watch my dad play Doom, and I used to see that as a face. The 'little bits sticking out the sides' also looked kind of like ears to me as a kid, too.

Kids are dumb, heh.

Sorry to the pistol enthusiasts, but I still don't like the default pistol. :(

You don't have to like it, just use it when it should be used ;-)

Thank you Eris for reinforcing the exact pareidolic tendencies I've literally had since childhood.

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

No, it's not.

B F G !
B A E !
B F G !

B A E !

BFG is too circumstantial. A simple boomstick will always be my best friend.

HBm791B.thumb.png.56bfbda5b1003432e7566a <3 new_classic_doom_weap_ssg.gif

Holy shit I thought I was the only one that thought the Pistol and Shotgun look like they have a face on their idle frames!

I too love the pistol! That BLAM BLAM BLAM sound signifies the beginning of good times. I'll pull it out to use on lost souls, plink that last bit of health off of Cacos, Pinkies and what not. It's a good gun!

I like the pistol, too bad it gets so little use later.

Also there's a ninja with a sword in the chainsaw...

M94ySZr.png

The Cacodemon at the start of E3M1 is like a mini-boss because you only have the pistol, that's an epic way to start the level on a first playthrough of Doom. Pistol-only runs are fun, they turn the game into Resident Evil lol. 

12 hours ago, Maes said:

Try playing a Jodwin map balanced according to the FFF (Finnish Frugality Formula) without the pistol and see if the other weapons are the best...

what's jodwin up to?

1 hour ago, savagegrant said:

I'd like the pistol more if it had unlimited ammo to make up for its lameness. :P

limited ammo is fine for me, but i wish it fired faster. a trained marine can squeeze off a lotta pops in a short time. thats why i did project einherjars pistol the way i did: its not AS deadly as a shotgun or rocket launcher, but its still deadly.

i guess what they were going for was a conventional weapon that still easily dropped hummans but wouldnt cut it against otherworldly shit.