Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raido

Why you should NOT hate the pistol

12 hours ago, CARRiON said:

BFG is too circumstantial.

BFG is the right kinda thing for every occasion: Marriage, devorce, dealing with mother/father in law, quickly starting a campfire, swatting a million mosquitos with sophisticated friend-or-foe-technology, dealing with traffic jams and so on...

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

swatting a million mosquitos with sophisticated friend-or-foe-technology

I like a salt shotgun for that.

71qZvdgx6IL._SL1500_.jpg

1 minute ago, nxGangGirl said:

I can't say I have seen this before. How does that operate? It's like there's a canister inside that holds some air pressure, and when you pull the trigger it sends out a burst of salt at high enough speeds to kill flies and mosquitos?

1 minute ago, nxGangGirl said:

(commercial)

Don't know why this commercial makes me laugh so hard, but it's definitely a salty idea...

Damn... I wouldn't be surprised if these things were illegal in some countries due to the velocity at which they can shoot salt or sand. Sure that's nothing I'd want aimed at my retinas.

Because without it we'd hate the shotgun... or just have to punch everything.

I used to think the pistol was actually the back of the marine as if it was a third person shooter. It doesnt make sense but I was also a kid at the time and first person shooters were completely foreign to me.

The shotgun looks less like a person yet I think I still thought it was; don't quite remember what the fuck I was thinking when you shot and it pumped

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

BFG is the right kinda thing for every occasion: Marriage, devorce, dealing with mother/father in law, quickly starting a campfire, swatting a million mosquitos with sophisticated friend-or-foe-technology, dealing with traffic jams and so on...

Well, when you put it that way...

Though, I don't think it'd start a campfire so much as leave a gigantic crater in the ground and leave the entire campsite in ruins. You could jump-start your car if it was stalling though! Just connect the car battery to the BFG's giant car sized cell battery.

2 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Pfft, clearly you've never heard of POCKET SAND!

rusty-shacklefords-pocket-sand-2199.gif

17 hours ago, Maes said:

Try playing a Jodwin map balanced according to the FFF (Finnish Frugality Formula) without the pistol and see if the other weapons are the best...

JOtYhYn.png

™ indeed.

7 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

The Shrink Ray from Duke Nukem 3D is the ultimate tool for any and all occasions. Why make such a big scene with an over-sized energy cannon when you can just flash someone down to the size of a roach and commit what's effectively the perfect crime?

The pistol's good for shooting switches, as long you time the shots, you can snipe anything across the map, plus there's plenty of ammo for it, provided you don't waste it quickly when you get the chaingun and even when you get more powerful weapons, the pistol still serves the purpose of shooting switches and sniping low-tier enemies like zombies and imps or just simply finishing them off.

It's actually very satisfying to finish off heavily wounded enemies with a pistol. Like an Imp or pinky demon that survived a shotgun assault.

The pistol is a useful tool for early game sniping, but for almost any use the pistol becomes useless once you get the chaingun.

Pistol's pretty accurate for long range against zombies and the occasional imp. But when a horde of pinkies is breathing down your neck? Get one of the boomsticks ASAP. You need fourteen bullets just to bring down one, and you don't always have the luxury of having space to evade them.

The one and only problem with the pistol is that the chaingun does everything it does but better.

There is no other pair of guns in Doom that behave quite like this.

The super shotgun may be stronger than the shotgun, but it's not as accurate or fast-firing.

The plasma rifle might outdamage the chaingun, but it's not nearly as good for sniping.

The BFG might reign king over the rocket launcher for sheer power, but it can't fire nearly as fast.

The fists might be useless for the most part, but pick up a Berserk Pack and they're a lot safer for melee than the Chainsaw.

But the pistol? Nobody uses the pistol. It doesn't have the two-shot bursts or the rapid fire of the chaingun. It is, quite simply, useless past MAP01.

What I think could be done to improve this? Split the pistol into two guns for Slot 2.

• The new Pistol itself needs infinite ammo. This marks it as your "emergency weapon", with the Fists (with the silent-weapon treatment) being useful for killing lone shotgun guys or going on a Berserk rampage.
  • The "poor man's sniper" job goes to a new weapon, the Rifle, dropped by zombiemen. This semi-automatic slugthrower fires slightly faster than the old pistol, does more damage, and is much, much more accurate, effectively becoming the "sniper rifle" of the game. This also gives Slot 2 a little legitimacy even late-game. Even if the chaingun can snipe, the rifle is more economical for this.

That drops two Cacos with one SSG blast, so to speak: you get a reason to press 2 even late into a WAD, and the pistol no longer becomes a worthless piece of trash that even the Fists outdo.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:43 PM, nxGangGirl said:

Essentially yes. Here's a commercial of it I saw a while back.

That's what I can killing a mosquito with a shotgun. 

8 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Stuff

But what if you cannot afford to waste that one extra bullet when finishing an enemy that only needs an odd number of bullets in order to die? If you waste a single bullet on every target, well, that amounts to a LOT of bullets in the course of a map. Try playing an ammo conservation map balanced according to the Finnish Frugality Formula (TM) and come tell me about it ;-)

I'd prefer the pistol to be reworked such that its usefulness later in the game would somehow show in various types of situations that'd be fun to deal with. One idea: A certain enemy type would take extra damage (or any damage at all) from the pistol only.

38 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

A certain enemy type would take extra damage (or any damage at all) from the pistol only.

Make the pistol somehow 'holy', and certain enemies unable to be killed by non-holy weaponry? I doubt it'd work well in standard doom but with a mod set around the concept, it could work well!

Unless the enemy had 1 hit point. But yeah, rebalancing damage and fire rate would better be part of the rework.

Giving Project Brutality credit, the starting pistol is rather satisfying and affective on all low level enemies. You can down them very fast (if you aim for the head and utilise its fast fire rate).

I love the pistol. I like sniping from far away by tapping the fire button, not holding it. Though the same works with chaingun later.

But if I shoot an imp with shotgun, not kill it first and I am in the mood, I switch the pistol for a final kill.

I mean it could be a bit more powerful and have more oompf, but yeah.