Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Comrade Pingu

25 years of Doom celebration?

The whole n years of Doom celebration hasn't happened in a while. So, are the forum admins planning on making a 25 years of Doom celebration for 2018?

It's like 14 months to the 25th anniversary, how big a celebration were you planning?

Is too soon to think about it but it would be nice if admins decide to make something special.

Anyway let's prepare ourselves...

party-hard.gif

We still have yet to reach 24 years of doom to start thinking about that!

But a special 25 years of doom community wad and other kind of celebration would be nice...

When I first joined the forum I was thinking about asking if there were plans for a 25th anniversary megawad but I decided not to because I figured it was too early for that lol.

Well, 14 months will pass quickly and then we'll celebrate that moment...

Also, 25 years of Doom megawad as Glaice mentioned, would be great by merging different styles of mapping similar to Doom 1 until the modern times with more gameplay and detail....

13 minutes ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

A Megawad that consists of Megamaps

and atleast 1 mind blowing vista

Can the secret levels be homages to other Doom-engine games, like Heretic, Hexen, or Strife?

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Also, 25 years of Doom megawad as Glaice mentioned, would be great by merging different styles of mapping similar to Doom 1 until the modern times with more gameplay and detail....

I like a lot this idea. The first levels beign 1994 era techbases, evolving to some more complex levels and the last ones with ZDoom features or something like that.

Well I do not have much experience in this and I usually ... hm ... bad to give ideas ... but here goes:

- 25th Years Megawad: A complete collaboration of the community, celebrating the 25 years creating maps that are nostalgic or with ancient touches, but at the same time, with the modernity of our times.

- Some forum created especially to comment on our experiences or wish Happy Birthday to Doom.

- Speedruns competition, I do not know, sounds fun.

- Artwork Contest.

- I love reading those Doom story articles created by the admins.

Well, I think that's all, but without a doubt, I think that 25 years should be celebrated in a great way, something incredible. Come on! 25 year life for a game is something almost unmatched these days! We must show the true love we all have for Doom.

I think it should be like this:

• Maps 01 to 11: tech-based levels with evolution of gameplay and detail, starting to 01 with a '94 feel and ending with map 11 with a newer style.
  • Maps 12 to 20: Same evolution but with urban style with hellification progress.
  • Maps 21 to 30: Same thing but ambiented in hell
  • Maps 31 and 32 should be a mix of styles

That should do it and it's up for whoever gets the chance of creating this megawad topic of which sourceport will be played and tested...

On 9.10.2017 at 11:05 PM, Glaice said:

A 25 Years of Doom megawad would be pretty neat.

Hell yeah. I'd love to see a 25-level wad, with one .wad representing each year. =) Perhaps a secret Wolfenstein map included.

9 hours ago, Soundblock said:

I'd love to see a 25-level wad, with one .wad representing each year. =)

Let's wait with that for 27 years of Doom. Then again for 32 years of Doom 2. And yet another time for 36 years of Ultimate Doom.

I remember joining DoomWorld before the 10th anniversary, which was a big deal at the time, and now we're inching toward 25. Crazy stuff. It's hard to imagine what such an event would comprise, seeing as we've uncovered just about all the lost and obscure content I think we're going to get.

If there will be a 25th community wad I will have to contribute but I want a project leader and agreed level of consistency otherwise it will be a mess.

Some kind of massive community project would be interesting, but it would need a gimmick or design element to distinguish it, and to put emphasis on if being such a significant mileston.

4 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Some kind of massive community project would be interesting, but it would need a gimmick or design element to distinguish it, and to put emphasis on if being such a significant mileston.

Maps specifically designed for Brutal Doom? ;D

how about not lol.

When I originally thought about it I thought about it being an unofficial sequel to doom 64 with classic style levels like doom the way id did but also really large like eternal doom as it would be a big occasion so it would surely need big levels to match :) Also it should have an actual icon of sin boss fight as the spoopy wall jpeg with romeros head behind it one from doom 2 isn't exactly the most thrilling experience in the world like they probably imagined it would be... then again I guess maybe that's the best they could do given the limitations of the engine at the time and the tools they had to work with

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Each level named after the Doomworld mods?