Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why did Doom 3 mapping die?

I suppose there isn't enough motivation to make maps for Doom 3 because, Let's face it not alot of people are interested in Doom 3 anymore.

10 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Let's face it not alot of people are interested in Doom 3 anymore.

But why is that? I remember seeing some extremely cool things created for it, including an Event Horizon level.

I have no idea, I think the core game itself isn't so great, I personally thought the game was repetitive and the guns (besides the Plasma Rifle and the BFG) didn't feel very effective, If they really enjoyed it they probably would bother making stuff for it.

15 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

But why is that? I remember seeing some extremely cool things created for it, including an Event Horizon level.

That is true, and besides, i remember seeing some people playing through Doom 3 co-op together not too long ago.

Doom 3 isn't entirely dead.

Indeed the modding community for Doom 3 it isn't entirely dead, But it's far from being as active as many other communities.

Doom 3 was the first game I ever made a level for. I even uploaded it to FileFront. Those were fun days.

I have not yet looked at what making a doom3 map would be like, but I have to agree with the notion that there maybe isn't so much you can do with it. It was always more about atmosphere, imo, and detailing classic doom maps can already be something like a neverending quest (potentially). So, I dunno... If making a map takes too long, then maybe it's just not for everybody.

It's not a very fun game to run around and shoot things. Which is important, I think, when it comes to the motivation behind lots of custom content.

Plus, it offers technical challenges far beyond Doom and Quake. The bar for a decent-looking level is set very high.

3 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

The bar for a decent-looking level is set very high.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the name of this thread.

Just take a look at the Hexen remake (Edge of Chaos). It is so much work that it becomes unfeasible.

14 minutes ago, Maisth said:

Why do you have to ask so many questions?

I think that is one of the main reasons for forums existing but i could be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Maisth said:

Why do you have to ask so many questions?

Can you imagine a world where nobody asked any questions?

Oh wait, we don't have to imagine anything...

Anyway, I wonder if Trenchbroom will ever get Doom 3 support. I have fallen in fucking love with it. I tried Quake mapping in the past but got annoyed at the tools.

2 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Anyway, I wonder if Trenchbroom will ever get Doom 3 support.

Probably not.I think its just a level editor for the quake 1 and 2 engine since they are similiar (i think so)

20 minutes ago, SOSU said:

Probably not.I think its just a level editor for the quake 1 and 2 engine since they are similiar (i think so)

Isn't Doom 3 based on the Quake engine? As well as Half-life? I believe JackHammer has Half-life support in addition to it's support of Quake and Quake 2.

Speaking of Quake 2, how many people make maps for Quake 2 vs Quake 1? I always felt Quake 1 was more fun because Quake 2 was basically just a generic linear shooter, the proto-modern fps if you will.

I think it's because Doom 3 lends itself to creating pretty much just one, very specific kind of map.  If you're not after doing a creepy, dark, techno base, you're pretty limited.  

7 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Isn't Doom 3 based on the Quake engine?

Yeah but the engine changed a lot from quake in 96 to doom 3 in 2004 compared to quake in 96 to quake 2 in 97

Well, we have to face the bloody reality that Doom 3 does not have the same fanbase as Doom 1 or 2, and probably 2016.

37 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I think it's because Doom 3 lends itself to creating pretty much just one, very specific kind of map.  If you're not after doing a creepy, dark, techno base, you're pretty limited.  

This is actually true now that I think about it. A think a big part of the problem is the way that lightning works. Doom 3's lightning system pretty much requires small cramped areas or else it looks really stupid. I guess this is the advantage that Quake has over Doom.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Can you imagine a world where nobody asked any questions?

Oh wait, we don't have to imagine anything...

Anyway, I wonder if Trenchbroom will ever get Doom 3 support. I have fallen in fucking love with it. I tried Quake mapping in the past but got annoyed at the tools.

Im not against asking questions, but you seem to ask too many.

Many of the things you ask could easily be researched on the internet, unless there's no answer which is unlikely because the internet is full of information

Besides, asking too many questions will make you look like an ignorant since you apparently know nothing, Don't take anything i said like an offense though.

I did a lot of Doom3 resource conversions for Hexen EoC and Arx End of Sun after the source release.

The resources could actually be used as a base for any tech4 source engine, if wanted.

I left Hexen EoC and moved to Arx EoS many years ago now. We release Arx EoS last year though, Hexen EoC on the other hand is still in the works.

If I remember right Caffeine Freak is pretty much the only one working on Hexen EoC now.

Doom3 is a very, very, powerful engine. Out of the box editing, if your after a look and feel of evil, mainly because of the projection lighting and shadows, then it's for you.

However it could look like Quake1,2 and 3 if wanted, but a different render process would have to be created, eg. a skimmed from the top shader, or a revers engineered Sikkmod, heh.

A lot can be done with the Doom3 source though. I'd say the only thing that's really slowing it down is the physics. ~ that and, not so easy to rig models for it, afair, if you're a 3d designer/modeler. Though that was then and this is now, and Katbits might have better supported exporters now days too. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

5 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I did a lot of Doom3 resource conversions for Hexen EoC and Arx End of Sun after the source release.

The resources could actually be used as a base for any tech4 source engine, if wanted.

I left Hexen EoC and moved to Arx EoS.

We release Arx EoS last year, Hexen EoC on the other hand is still in the works.

If I remember right Caffeine Freak is pretty much the only one working on Hexen EoC now.

Doom3 is a very, very, powerful engine. Out of the box editing, if your after a look and feel of evil, mainly because of the projection lighting and shadows, then it's for you.

However it could look like Quake1,2 and 3 if wanted, but a different render process would have to be created, eg. a skimmed from the top shader, or a revers engineered Sikkmod, heh.

A lot can be done with the Doom3 source though. I'd say the only thing that's really slowing it down is the physics.

Interesting information.

One of the biggest reasons I haven't really started making my own Doom 3 levels yet is because there does not seem to be any easy way to do so anymore. The in-game editor is broken on modern operating systems and I have found no way to fix it. It's technically possible to use other editors but I have found it a pain to use them for Doom 3. This is why it would be so awesome if an editor like Trenchbroom got Doom 3 support.

Ah, try running it like this in a batch file:

cd.. 
doom3.exe +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 6 +r_samples 0 +vid_restart +editor +set com_allowconsole 1

I'm on Windows10 pro and can run it.

You know I think you're right about that, I remember one where you could play Ult-Doom inside a Doom3 gui, inside a Doom3 map heh.

But yeah, haven't seen that mod or even remember what it was called since Filefront when down.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Ah, try running it like this in a batch file:

cd.. 
doom3.exe +r_fullscreen 0 +r_mode 6 +r_samples 0 +vid_restart +editor +set com_allowconsole 1

I'm on Windows10 pro and can run it.

I just get a "Doom 3 stopped working" error after the editor launches. This happens every time I try to start the editor. I am using the steam version. I have tried reinstalling it but it makes no difference.

It's a shame really, my friend has been looking for some but outside the handful at ModDB and DoomWadStation he can't find anything not linked to a fragged filefront link.

I get the feeling that the huge collapse of Doom 3 modding was heavily influenced by filefront's demise.