Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forli

OSCILLATION, a 9 map boom wad [On Idgames]

I just played your mapset on HMP/continuous/saves. Really fun maps! Aesthetically they are all very pleasant, I liked the detailing you put in every map, particularly the "mushrooms" in map 03, and also the pitch black void as background, adding a feeling of mystery. You used a lot of circle stairs which is cool, and I liked other stuff like barrels and pots. I did notice some misalignment in map 03, in the imps/archie room, not sure if it was on purpose, but not a big deal. 

In terms of monster placement and traps, all good, I like your style, you sometimes lock in the player temporary or via switch-hunting, and sometimes you don't, and I liked this variety. You made each type of enemy feel dangerous, and you didn't overuse revs and archies everywhere which is highly appreciable (by me). 

Map 01 was an easy opener, generally low-tiers and a few revenants, while map 02 had some tougher traps, particularly the second wave in the crates part. Loved the ring with the mancubus turrets. Map 03 had a shaky opening and a nice final bridge to spend rockets on both sides. In map 04, I liked the crusher room and particularly the YK trap, the way enemies came out from the water, no need to place archies as it would fall into "lazy-filler-archies-placed", in my opinion. Also liked the final trap lowering one wave at a time, there went my first dead with the mancubus. Map 05 was tricky at first but then it went out all fine, the outside area looks neat if a bit deserted, though it's fine that way. Map 06 is very neat, and I got screwed by the archie turrets in the some-key area, the pillars are so thin and the archies are somewhat high to see if I covered enough. The dark room with switches to allow temporary lightning was a cool idea. The final ring went out easily (not saying it's easy per se) with the secret BFG. Map 07 was heavy on archviles, the BK fight was a mix of loved/hated, everytime I shot the fourth rocket the pillar lowered fast and I went for the next one and I pretty much ended up shooting rockets to the void. A lot of pressure, great arena. The other trap with archies and switches was also very cool and I loved it. The final ring screwed me a couple times, particularly the masterminds, I use a .deh file that makes them wander with less troubles and less pain chance, plus a lot of mid-tiers. Very dangerous and fun. Map 08 was not a breather like others said, at least not for me, I died twice in the SSG and RL rooms respectively, after that everything went better, used the invul sphere with the obvious BFG trap and in the final bridge I almost got killed by homing rockets. Map 09 was obviously the hardest map, and I died like 4 or 5 times. I liked the traps except the one behind the yellow bars, it was really easy to fall into the pit and have my health draining, a couple radsuits would have been fine, but that's my opinion. Also, even though I liked the final encounter, the chaingunners somehow ruined the mood, being the only ones that could drain my health from afar as everything else gathered in the centre (assuming you circle strafe the area). Unless it's different on UV, I think 4 big spiders would have been a better choice, and remove the cyber guarding the exit as it doesn't add something else to the battle.

Ok, I recognized some of the midis, apart from Death Bells, where are they from?... anyway, I found all the secrets except one in map 07, in the BK room. I liked that you placed computer maps in some of the levels, it's not very common in modern wads so I appreciate that. 

Ammo wise, if it adds something, I finnished each map full on ammo and with remnants scattered in each map, but pistol starters should know better about this. There were no traps where I used more than the available, if that also adds something.

A couple of tiny minor things: found a HOM in map 07, and in the same map for some reason in this part, one of the green umm textures is darker than the others.  

Overall, very recommendable and I'm definitely voting this sometime to be more public in the DWMC, if you are ok with that. If I don't forget about anything, I'll give this a 9,5/10 (numbers equal how much I had fun)

I uploaded this to idgames, thanks to everyone who played and left a comment.

@galileo31dos01 Thank you for your comments on each map, I'm glad that you liked the wad. I mostly balanced the mapset so that there would be a bit more ammo than necessary even on UV pistol starts so I guess it's no wonder that you had too much.

Unfortunately, I uploaded the file before you left your comments, that HOM doesn't seem very noticeable and the darker texture is not a really big deal so I don't think that it is worth reuploading just for that :S.

I messed up..., in the file I uploaded on map 4, all the multiplayer starts are player 1, wich makes it so that the player can't even move, I have no idea how this could have even happened...

Is there any way to replace a file on idgames after it's been uploaded?

Maybe I should upload another file and send an email asking for it to replace the previous one?

Sorry for insisting, but I don't think I can leave it like that and I don't know what I'm supposed to do :S

Could anyone help me please?

Yes, that's what you're supposed to do. Just email the archive maintainers and explain your situation to make sure they use the right file.

I had a load of fun playing this. Didn't encounter any game-breaking bugs, only a few misaligned crate textures and a tiny hom which has apparently been reported already. Also loved the map design a whole lot, it's pretty fuckin good (except for these cattails in map03 that i got repeatedly stuck behind and facerocketed myself with). 

Overall I'd rate it 9/10, just because map09 kicked my noob ass very, very hard and I got kinda frustrated at the end. It's a really great mapset other than that, though.

I randomly downloaded this off idgames and I'm really impressed. On map05 right now, wanted to post this before I forgot. Hope to see more maps from you in the future.

Oops, so we found a coop bug after all. On map07 if you die in the central cross-shaped arena there seems to be no way to access it from the outside, at least without arch-vile jumping. :P

Aw crap, I actually thought of that but apparently I forgot to do something about it...

It seems like way too late to try to fix it...

Well, there are no speedruns for the wad yet, so changing that map won't ruin any demos, which is nice.

Not that I would want to encourage it but uploading updated version after the initial idgames release is (unfortunately) pretty common nowadays. So yes, if there are no demos for the wad yet, I don't think it's a big issue to upload a fixed version to idgames.

The bars in MAP05 that get lowered by walking through line 6003 also seem to be a problem in coop, at least if there are players in the start area. I assume players in other areas can still access the area with crushers and bypass the bars like that but it would still be nice if there was some quick way to get to the locked out area. Preferably with a teleporter from outside since making the bars openable from outside wolud make it possible to release the players inside and make the trap easy.

If you're planning an update, here are a few more nitpicks:

There seems to be a lot of SR switches which however perform the action only once. This doesn't break anything but can be confusing, especially in coop. Here are the ones I know about:
MAP02:
- lines 4150, 4155, 10587-10590, 10687-10690, 10783-1786
MAP05:
- lines 6153, 6164, 6175

Other stuff:
MAP04:
- misalign on line 4816

+ this (found and screenshotted by 129th Visplane):
MAP02:
- misaligns on lines 5478 and 5485
MAP07:
- There was this small HOM that was already reported before. Is it already fixed? I can't find it.

I already uploaded an update to idgames to fix the player start problem on map 4 (that one was just too gamebreaking to not fix) I also fixed that map 7 hom then. That's why I don't want to do it again, it might be annoying to have me upload updates over and over :S.Those might be enough stuff to warrant another update, I'm not sure.

I was going through a bunch of old threads this weekend... and, WOW!

This 9-map set is incredible (monsters, layout, music, everything). I've had a lot of fun, and there's a few novel ideas (walls that move) that I haven't seen before.

Well done!

Glad this got bumped. I missed this when it came out and had a lot of fun going through it. Good balance of gameplay and map styles and just the right length.

Very good first release.