Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Oldest personal file you have on the computer?

So I'm not asking about boring stuff like Windows DLLs, but about something personal. It could be a photo you took, a text file you wrote, a wad you made, or maybe a savegame.

I just found my ICQ history from June 2008. It must contain messages I sent to the girl I was hitting on in high school. I think I don't dare to open it.

My documents are full with the backed up save files from many years ago (I reinstalled Windows 2 times, so these files were quite a few).

Can't get more specific than that, since I don't know what to look for as far as old files go.

But I have some old media I used when I was 5 years old (an encyclopedia about the body and its functions disk, Star Defender's disk and San Andreas boxed when I was 9, but I threw the box away, because I was stupid).

Also, I can remember that the first games I played in my laptop were Super Hot's demo, Mirror's Edge (cool game) and Skyrim (I think I will revisit it someday), so I might have some files from those games. 

Does stuff for work count? :)  I get a bit giddy when NDS sends me the stuff for a game and it pops out of the zip (or, in some cases, the ancient obscure archive format that requires 3 hours of googling to find the correct version of the extractor to open) with all the original last modified timestamps on the files, like this:

noctropolisfiles.png

I have some erroneously-timestamped files that claim to be from 1980 somewhere. Ignoring those, the oldest files on this HDD are my old DOOM episode, Murderous Intent.

oldestfile.png

My oldest files are quite modern(around 2013/2014), because around that time I've got my first personal laptop. Older files lie in external hard disk, which I should touch and export them in my laptop or cloud storages.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

I can't check because of the aforementioned HDD issues, but I'm pretty sure I still have ripped MP3 files from the late 90s. I think I still have a Doom level I made in 96 or 97, but I stupidly deleted a bunch of my old maps thinking they weren't worth playing, and I can't confirm that either.

I have some wav files from my silly sounds pack dated in 1995. I still have files from college in the late 80s on floppies.

I finally own a computer this year, so yeah my personal files are not even close to old, but if I take files from the computers I borrow, maybe my oldest file would be some Paint Drawings from 2006.

A while back I dumped the contents of some old floppy disks containing some of the first programs I wrote on my Sinclair. I think the timestamps on those date to 1991/92.

EDIT: Checked, and the timestamps are from April 1992, but there's a whole bunch of files all with that same timestamp, so I think they're even older and were copied from an earlier floppy disk.

Threads like this make me wish I had my earliest maps, even if they were crap. The oldest thing I actually made that's on my PC is minidm.wad from 2004, oldest files otherwise are some WADs from 1994. Well, there are actually some MIDI files here from 1992 if the timestamp is accurate, but again they're not exactly personal files as I certainly wasn't composing music at age 1

All of the oldest files are contained in my games folder, the majority are DOS games, one of them belonged to a 5¼ disk and I was lucky to copy the files into my previous computer and back them up, before the disk drive stop working forever. So those files have to be the oldest ones I kept alive since my childhood. 

Aw man... I've got a hard drive from my first PC somewhere at my parent's house (the PC itself has long since been recycled)... I should find a hardware adapter and extract it one of these days. It's got some old Disney games as well as some other shitty kids games me and my brother played the hell out of. It ran Windows '98. I distinctly remember some Tarzan games that I really enjoyed. I still got the disks for those games somewhere...

On the laptop I have now the oldest personal files I have are probably my first Doom maps, the oldest of which is from 2010.

A map I made for Jedi Outcast or Academy from the 15th of March 2003.

Edit: Turns out it was actually Jedi Outcast since Academy was released in September.

Edited by Avoozl

Oldest audio files: April of 2004. (A metal band called Forgotten Tomb)

Oldest photo: April of 2004. (Very first selfie with my 3.2 MP digital camera)

Oldest randomly downloaded image: May of 2002. (A 1024x768 wallpaper)

Oldest non-map personal Doom file: December of 2002. (A custom SLIGE CFG file)

Oldest personal Doom map file: January of 1997. (An unfinished map)

I'd wager 1993. I just deleted a bunch of decade old Doom fan fictions this morning from the Internet. I still have files from 1995 back when my fanfiction was considered to be a rip off of Aliens. Then the Doom movie came out and the decade old fanfiction was deemed a rip off of the Doom movie.

Edited by geo

1 hour ago, geo said:

Then the Doom movie came out and it was a rip off of the Doom movie.

How can a movie be a ripoff of itself?

37 minutes ago, Nevander said:

How can a movie be a ripoff of itself?

The fanfiction. I have gone back and elaborated.