Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

I've never read the novel, but I know it obviously predates Doom. I looked up the term on Wikipedia before posting, but I just assumed that any usage of the term is a play on "ultraviolet." Otherwise that's a big coincidence.   

If the skill level was called Ultra-violent, it might be a pun on Ultra-violet. But it's called Ultra-violence, so it's not a pun, because "Ultra-violece" is not a word.

Still, it's not really a pun because "ultra-violet" is in no way related to the difficulty level, or even the game for that matter. A pun has to have two significant meanings. Example:

The soldier who survives mustard gas and pepper spray is truly a seasoned veteran.

The word "seasoned" obviously has two meanings, one of which humorously relates to the previously used words "mustard" and "pepper" (which also have two meanings each). So it's a good pun. "Ultra-Violence," on the other hand, lacks this double meaning.

In the Chasm, there is a hidden area down in the acid (near the blue door) where there some stairs in cross shape and a BFG. That must be another area I might have never visited all those years I was playing Doom and missed it because it wasn't marked as a secret or didn't explore enough.

34 minutes ago, RjY said:

If the skill level was called Ultra-violent, it might be a pun on Ultra-violet. But it's called Ultra-violence, so it's not a pun, because "Ultra-violece" is not a word.

Ha, okay. Call it a pun, call it an allusion, call it wordplay in general - whatever. I'm inclined not to believe that the similarity never occurred to Burgess or Id. I mean, there are a lot of prefixes or plain adjectives you can throw in front of violence that will in the end mean the same thing: hyper, uber, mega, super, panta, circum, amphi... 

And given how many people refer to the difficulty as UV, surely I'm not the only one who has thought about the other UV.

In the course of playing level 4 of End2.wad, I've realized that spectral demons can be very useful tools to use against a spider mastermind if infighting can be induced. On two separate occasions a single demon set about a SM when fired upon and gnawed away at it until the SM eventually expired, apparently not able to defend itself. Not sure whether this was a freak couple of occurrences, or something with a more general potential application.

Anthony Burgess surely would know of the meaning of the word ultraviolet, but the people who actually say "A bit of the old Ultraviolence", Alex and his droogs, would have no idea of such a thing. They use the word like they do with the other compound words and slang, to spice up the vernacular. It's on the first page. There's no coincidences that the two words sound the same. The hardest difficulty is a reference to A Clockwork Orange without a doubt.

i have no idea if this is ZDoom specific or not, but if you press N on your keyboard for example, then New Game will automatically be highlighted on the menu. same goes for the other options: S for Save Game, L for Load game, Q for Quit Game and O for Options.

2 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

On two separate occasions a single demon set about a SM when fired upon and gnawed away at it until the SM eventually expired

Yeah the spider is so large it overlaps blockmap squares, so it's easy for another thing to clip inside it and prevent it from moving. This happens frequently at the start of Memento Mori map26.

86rivzX.png

1 hour ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i have no idea if this is ZDoom specific or not, but if you press N on your keyboard for example, then New Game will automatically be highlighted on the menu. same goes for the other options: S for Save Game, L for Load game, Q for Quit Game and O for Options.

Not ZDoom-specific: also works in Chocolate Doom and PrBoom+.

While playing Doom64, 2 lost souls got into a never ending feud with each other. Both had a line of sight, but there was a pillar blocking the attack, so they didn't move anywhere, and just kept attacking and hitting the pillar. Thought they'd reset after hitting the pillar and attack player.

You can clear off marker points on the automap with IDC. Found this out while using IDCLIP on a source port. Guess I will remember to use the good old idspispopd in future

7 minutes ago, Arto91 said:

You can clear off marker points on the automap with IDC. Found this out while using IDCLIP on a source port. Guess I will remember to use the good old idspispopd in future

In automap mode, you can press C to clear the markers. Next time for cheating, do it in normal mode, not in automap or it will recognize the bound key and do the marker clearing instead...forgot to say that only works in ZDoom-type ports, I think

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

forgot to say that only works in ZDoom-type ports, I think

It works in the vanilla engine already.

All the texture patches in Freedoom have been given automatic offsets along with sprites, and nobody noticed because of course it has no effect whatsoever.

I also noticed recently that the dark gray ceiling (one that has a variant with red circular lights) and the light gray flat (one with a big rectangular light variant) are based on the same noise texture, the the dark gray one just has less shades.

12 hours ago, scifista42 said:

It works in the vanilla engine already.

Wouldn't have noticed, i didn't think idclip worked in vanilla so never used it 

15 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

In automap mode, you can press C to clear the markers. Next time for cheating, do it in normal mode, not in automap or it will recognize the bound key and do the marker clearing instead...forgot to say that only works in ZDoom-type ports, I think

Not really cheating since I was testing a few things for a map and it was quicker to clip than running all the way around 

Monsters killed by fast crushers will not execute any special actions in their normal death sequence. If the thing is a boss required to finish the level, this can be game breaking.

5 hours ago, Arto91 said:

Not really cheating since I was testing a few things for a map and it was quicker to clip than running all the way around 

"Cheating" is not a derogatory term in the context of playing (singleplayer) Doom. It simply refers to using the cheat codes, no matter for what purpose.

2 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Monsters killed by fast crushers will not execute any special actions in their normal death sequence. If the thing is a boss required to finish the level, this can be game breaking.

In DEHACKED mods, it's convenient to put the BossDeath action to the beginning of the monster's death sequence rather than to the end of it, so the monsters will execute it as soon as they die rather than waiting until they finish playing their death animation, during which they might get crushed into a pile of gore, in which case the animation would be aborted and the action never executed.

11 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Apparently it applies to barrels too. I tried to make a barrel-propelled teleporting exploding barrel trap in vanilla, and ended up with the off-level barrels just turning into blood puddles after getting crushed.

Yes, it's the exact same issue, just with a different action in the death animation. Same for the non-BossDeath actions in Pain Elemental's, Commander Keen's and Romero head's death animations. The Romero head at least calls BrainScream (spawning explosions) in the very first frame of its death animation, so the explosions will always be spawned even if the head gets crushed immediately after its death - but it won't exit the level, as that is triggered by another action later in the death animation.

Edited by scifista42

I never realized that went for any SHOOTABLE actor. Certainly would explain why death exits involving Romero heads never go with crushers.

On 28.9.2017 at 1:41 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

"Ultra-Violence," on the other hand, lacks this double meaning.

It's a "clockwork orange" reference anyway, so it needs no double meaning, imo.

18 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

It's a "clockwork orange" reference anyway, so it needs no double meaning, imo.

Never heard of clockwork orange...

My point was that it wasn't really a pun because a pun has to have two meanings. If it's a reference though, then it still has some "wit value."

Trying to map vanilla again alerted me to two major things:

1. Offsetting an upper texture will offset the lower texture at the same time, which isn't exactly convenient when you're used to UDMP's customization options.

2. You can't offset flats in vanilla either. If you want your flats aligned, your sectors have to conform to the grid. Aggravating? Oh, you betcha.