Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Am I the only one who just fucking HATES puzzles?

And not just in Doom, but also in Quake and every other fps game ever. Or even just action games in general. I just don't get it. What exactly is the appeal? They completely ruin the pacing by forcing you to stop shooting at things in favor of solving some stupid puzzle. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have stopped playing a wad or even entire games because I was so sick of having my enjoyment ruined by having to waste time solving some puzzle. And the worst part is that the puzzles often don't even make sense or are confusing forcing you to spend 10+ min running around the map trying to figure out how to progress. It would be like if you were watching a heated boxing match and then midway through the match when things are just about to get good the boxers have to stop hitting each other in the face in order to solve a rubiks cube. Does anyone else here share my hatred of puzzles in Doom and games in general?  

If I take an example....Hexen, right?

You have some puzzles to solve in order to progress by pressing switches and collecting key items. Another example is Duke Nukem 3D, where you have multiple switches and you must find the correct combination (usually it's in groups of 3 or 4 switches). Personally, I don't mind the puzzles in general because I can use my brain to discover the way to solve that by using logic and common sense. And I know that other players abhors puzzles so much...

Wow. You took a stab at everything I love. I have met people who do not like puzzles. I have a hard time relating to anyone who avoids them. My Whole Life...is about puzzles. I play crosswords and the like almost everyday. I used to design and build a myriad of rubiks type puzzles. Portal 1&2 and The Talos Principle are my ALL TIME FAVORITE games in the world. 

As for pacing. I have never liked when games don't force you to take a break every so often, so puzzle fit right in.

EDIT: AntiChamber anyone?

EDIT EDIT: I quite literally crave or fiend for that feeling you get upon solving one....much like any other addict.

I love puzzles in first person shooters, action games, or just straight up puzzle games. Tetris, Portal and Portal 2 all rank among some of the best games ever made. 

1 minute ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Wow. You took a stab at everything I love. I have met people who do not like puzzles. I have a hard time relating to anyone who avoids them. My Whole Life...is about puzzles. I play crosswords and the like almost everyday. I used to design and build a myriad of rubiks type puzzles. Portal 1&2 and The Talos Principle are my ALL TIME FAVORITE games in the world.

Also, survival-horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill features a LOT of puzzles which are hard but when you solve it, you have a sense of satisfaction. Sorry but puzzles are a must for some games.

Just now, leodoom85 said:

Also, survival-horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill features a LOT of puzzles which are hard but when you solve it, you have a sense of satisfaction. Sorry but puzzles are a must for some games.

Good call. The first three Resident Evil games wouldn't have been nearly as good without the puzzles. Even though 4 is my favourite, I was kind of disappointed that the puzzle elements were heavily diluted. 

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I don't play games without puzzles of some kind...even if they are simple like in Uncharted series and the newer Tomb Raiders.

Heck, I daresay that the majority of the games has puzzles in some form, in a minor or major way, easy or hard. Puzzles are a key component in games.

Even straight-foward maps in Doom includes puzzles for keys. And yeah, you're only one who hates puzzles. You can clap for yourself :"")

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Heck, I daresay that the majority of the games has puzzles in some form, in a minor or major way, easy or hard. Puzzles are a key component in games.

I have to say just one more thing. As far as I know, games or the idea of games started with a puzzle/strategy basis. Think of the really old games like chess and the like. Even the early Romans played a game much like chess(Latrunculi) for both pleasure and as a method of training for commanding armies.

Looks like you just have narrow interests, OP.

When it's just action action action, breaking it up with something else leads to variety. But you have to like the aforementioned "else" in order for that to work. Many people do, others don't.

10 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Even straight-foward maps in Doom includes puzzles for keys. And yeah, you're only one who hates puzzles. You can clap for yourself :"")

But is it really a puzzle to go look for things? Finding a key by stumbling across it by chance isn't really solving a puzzle. I also disagree with the idea that games can't stand on their own legs with just action. If the combat is good enough and the level design is high quality, there is no reason for why the game would get boring.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

If the combat is good enough and the level design is high quality, there is no reason for why the game would get boring.

Can you put an example of that statement please?

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

+1.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Painkiller series. Also arguably the new Doom 90% of the time.

EDIT: The Killing Floor series is also another example.

Puzzles are nothing* compared to the search of every secret sector in maps if we talk about wasting much time of figuring what to do.

Unfortunatelly, Painkiller also contains puzzles.

I got stuck for some time because of marsh boss, then Alastor for a loooonger time. Luckily, I figured quickly out how to defeat Lucifer

*Don't get me wrong, I like puzzles nevertheless!

Unfortunately I haven't played both games....

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Call of Duty and Battlefield games are also in this non-puzzle category, right?

I guess they are kind of a leftover from really old games like Zelda, where "unfair" cryptic puzzles were more common and generally were perceived as an essential part of the experience. Of course they might seem awkward when forced onto dynamic 3D action games.

I was rally exited back in the day when I bought Painkiller but I grew bored very, very fast...Beginning of the third level I think. 

I have never and like will never be able to get into COD games. Also Killing floor became boring for me as well. 

I do believe there is a bias here as I do not like online games like COD, BF1, CSGO, etc.

7 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I also disagree with the idea that games can't stand on their own legs with just action.

Of course they can. I didn't say they can't.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Painkiller series.

This is amusing, because I always liked Painkiller for a variety of reasons rather than just action. For example, it has a good secret-hunting element requiring quite a bit of exploration, as well as rewards for challenging yourself to complete levels in a certain way.

But most people see it as a game about going forward and shooting things, of course.

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Call of Duty and Battlefield games are also in this non-puzzle category, right?

I'd say there's not much need to go beyond this very community: several popular wads are very battle-centric, and even the base games don't have a whole lot of places to get stuck, although YMMV.

as much as I hate to admit it, me too hates puzzles. but I prefer salt over sugar ":D

3 minutes ago, R1ck said:

as much as I hate to admit it, me too hates puzzles. but I prefer salt over sugar ":D

cross.jpg.8dcf0104d89810f9af29034d8eae8f23.jpg

EDIT: With you on the salt over sugar thing. I wont die of obesity....just a heart attack.

I like small puzzles that are relatively easy to solve if you use some decent observation skills and connecting head dots (put bright lights on the "instructions/switches" please :P. I also like puzzles that are optional, just too bad that switch hunts aren't optional :y

The wife wanted to ship in here. There is a puzzle/map in The Talos Principle just near the end that took each of us more than 2 days to solve. She heralds it as the most satisfying gaming experience she has ever had.

Sorry if I am posting a lot here. I am just really passionate about puzzles as both and inventor and player. The subject is very near and dear to me.

The most fun puzzle I have ever solved was:

Spoiler

STARMINX.JPG.87ca3c02bfc00b6abac84461af645b23.JPG

I love puzzles in Doom. They say that 'limitation breeds creativity' and that is a part of why I love Doom puzzles. managing to make a good, and challenging puzzle that is also made in the vanilla doom engine is quite a challenge...it forces you to think creatively. I think it's pretty awesome, and a style of gameplay that is kind of rare in the doom world these days. plus, it feels all the more rewarding to find the solution to a puzzle. It can be rewarding to shoot demons and be really skilled at the game, but in a way I also find it rewarding to find the solution to a really difficult puzzle after thinking about it for a long time. I feel like it adds variety to the game and it adds extra challenge that you don't always expect. Overall, I think puzzle maps are really cool. A favorite of mine is The Given by Dobu Gabu Maru, a map that is literally all puzzles with no monsters. It's really cool and I always find it interesting the creative ways people make puzzles in this game, that's just my opinion though

4 minutes ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

I thought the title was "Am I the only one who just fucking HATES Pringles?"

They have a nice flavour, but they're way too greasy, and I feel a tinge of shame after eating them.