Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

On 27.08.2017 at 2:30 AM, rdwpa said:

Could my Shaitan's Luck map24 max in 4:47 be removed and replaced...

Your attitude irks me, why not just leave the old ones? I guess it is the combination of perfectionism and the supposedly fun speedrunning territory.

In all other forums I enjoy reading your post tremendously.

Did you see the AV20 demo by Zero-Master? It is admittedly imperfect, but very valuable. I bet if you had recorded that, you would have posted the demo and instisted in not uploading it to DSDA. Am I right?

The side effect is I will download all your 144 demos tonight just in case they got deleted or replaced. They are too good to be gone.

James Young's UV Max demo for E1M1 was converted to 1.9 (as mentioned in the text file) but it still only plays back with DOOM.WAD 1.666.
He also specifically aimed for avoiding any damage so I suppose it should be tagged as Reality.

lirui1001's UV Maxes for JPCP MAP10 and MAP29 desync with the idgames version. They play back with an older version uploaded here (I believe this version was the original idgames release).

ClumsyDoomer kills some cacodemons with a crusher in his demo for 3hafinal MAP09 so the demo only qualifies as UV Speed, not Pacifist.

EDIT:

Opulent's 3ha3 demos for these maps desync because he used Doom2.exe but there are Nazis in these maps which are modified with the wad's internal dehacked:
09, 11, 12, 18, 19, 31 (both UV Max and NM Speed).

I made a dehacked patch which can be used to play back the demos in PrBoom+. Download here.

Additional notes for these demos:
MAP11 UV Max is in 3:21, not 3:25
MAP12 UV Max is in 6:22, not 6:23
In addition to using the dehacked above, MAP18 UV Max also requires "-spechit 2230937832" otherwise it will desync.

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

On 9/22/2017 at 6:24 AM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Opulent's 3ha3 demos for these maps desync because he used Doom2.exe but there are Nazis in these maps which are modified with the wad's internal dehacked:

I made a dehacked patch which can be used to play back the demos in PrBoom+. Download here.

Isn't the -nodeh parameter a simpler option in such cases?

I expected such an option would exist but it's not documented in any of the obvious places so I simply didn't know about it.

Andy indeed added comments to use -nodeh.

I noticed the JPCP demos were removed without a creation of a new page for the old version of the wad. Was this intended?

On 9/22/2017 at 4:24 AM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

EDIT:

Additional notes for these demos:
MAP11 UV Max is in 3:21, not 3:25
MAP12 UV Max is in 6:22, not 6:23
In addition to using the dehacked above, MAP18 UV Max also requires "-spechit 2230937832" otherwise it will desync.

Nice and very clever.  I wish I had remembered/thought of that.  good job!   Now, if the demos were just a wee bit better...

1. i would suggest posting that in the misc demo thread (or i think we already have a 10Sectors thread?)

2. not just you, but what's this obsession with removing runs from DSDA? its nice to see differences/progression on runs. improvements and maxes are not created and formulated ex nihilo

Yeah, some people have some growing-up to do. Once it's released, it's released and that's that. I'd be happy to see Andy refusing all such requests out of hand. It's pointless extra work on top of everything else he does for the community. And deleting history, even if only in a small way, loses something of value. If compet-n demos got deleted each time they were beaten, we'd have very little idea whom to credit years later for route and trick ideas.

Oh, my mistake. I saw others requesting to remove their runs so I figured it was appropriate to do the same. It doesn't really matter to me anyway. I figured one demo category for one map was sufficient enough. lol

Also, I couldn't find a seperate thread for 10Sectors. Although the misc demos thrrad seems more appropriate. 

Removing demos is a bannable offense from now on. Post only optimal demos in the future.

37 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

i think a nice compromise is to put your old run .zip in the new one, and put a note in the .txt for the new run :)

I was going to ask whether or not 'merging' demos is more acceptable, is it? If not, I won't do that in the future. Probably a dumb question, but it never hurts to be sure.

Edited by TheV1perK1ller

Personally, I would prefer to see all the demos listed... whether it is by the same player or not.

This is especially true for the real categories(Max and Nightmare).   For the less important categories, Speed and Respawn, it is less important.  For the crap categories beneath those four, just having the fastest time would be okay, I guess.  

A Cyberdemon531 maxdemo is just as good as a Cyberdemon531 maxdemo that happens to be of shorter length.  This isn't my opinion, this is a fact.  It is a crime to remove either demo and goes against the main purpose of the DSDA to me.  There are many examples of slower demos that are better than the 'record' demos(especially nightmare which is kind of an exception for that).

For me, if I wanted to record, say,  a Sunlust demo, it is annoying to have to research what the actual table is.  I want to be able to look at the DSDA page to see all of the times for all of the demos.

With all of that said, it is courteous of Andy to remove a player's demo if the player wishes it(and I think that is the right thing to do).  AFAIK, only a few demos(maybe 40) have ever been removed.  Far more have been removed or deleted from the forums.

Yeah, I think for example slower maxes are often more interesting in a way because they more or less show the intended gameplay of the map, while a faster demo might be closer to something like "run through the whole level, make everything infight, then return with the BFG and finish off the remaining monsters", which is nothing like how a common player would experience the map.