Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

an arid and baron mountain/hill side,

Did you just misspell barren as baron?

it was mostly meant to be lifeless. I didn't want to add too much detail [...] I wasn't sure what other details I could put in to make it look a little less dull.

At least include several different colors/shades and textures/patterns for rock-like materials and distribute them more or less uniformly around the scene. And the tallest rocks are just asking for ceiling overhangs as opposed to floor-only rocks.

the level doesn't contain any actual outdoor locations

That's a shame, I think even indoor maps benefit from occasional outdoor areas, as the change of location can be refreshing and help to recapture interest of players who are starting to think the map is getting boring as it goes on.

7 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Did you just misspell barren as baron?

Haha oops. I'm pretty tired, so yes.

At least include several different colors/shades and textures/patterns for rock-like materials and distribute them more or less uniformly around the scene. And the tallest rocks are just asking for ceiling overhangs as opposed to floor-only rocks.

I really don't like the idea of ceiling rocks for the cliffs, but I might make something small. As for added colors and details, I'm experimenting on that.

That's a shame, I think even indoor maps benefit from occasional outdoor areas, as the change of location can be refreshing and help to recapture interest of players who are starting to think the map is getting boring as it goes on

There are open areas around the map, but not outdoors. There will be over ten or so levels following this one that will be completely outdoors anyway. 

8 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Mr. Hall

8 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

alpha

Yeah, it was supposed to be a bit of a homage.

6 hours ago, nxGangGirl said:

Any suggestions?

Maybe you could add some semi-random lighting variation. But it looks neat as it is.

Cross posted from Zdoom forum.

Here is a Revenant Statue I made for the Colleseum on the previous page.

OgmiEJA.png

1 hour ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Cross posted from Zdoom forum.

OgmiEJA.png

Just to nitpick, you should put a rock or something under the raised foot so that it doesn't hover in the air. It'd make it look more like a statue and less like a frame from an animated sprite passed through some filters. ;)

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

Just to nitpick, you should put a rock or something under the raised foot so that it doesn't hover in the air. It'd make it look more like a statue and less like a frame from an animated sprite passed through some filters. ;)

I was trying to go for that with the one leg up. I have seen many statues like that before...but the more I look at it, the more I do not like it.

I will maybe get to the later. I am working on an Imp now. Thanks for the advice.

Metal statues have no problems with having a dynamic-looking pose; but stone statues are more limited in what they can do (stone doesn't handle tension well). Your sprite doesn't look much like metal (it's less shiny than the original sprite) so I read it as a stone statue and I just figure that its leg is gonna break. :)

If you don't mind some excessive nerdery on the topic: compare this stone sculpture with that metal one and notice how on the stone sculpture there's a solid background to help carry the figures. Or look at how this Apollon cheated by having a support below the raised foot. If it's stone it needs be supported so that weight is always transferred downward. If the weight pulls upward then the stone breaks, and that's likely how the Venus de Milo lost both her arms.

19 minutes ago, Gez said:

Metal statues have no problems with having a dynamic-looking pose; but stone statues are more limited in what they can do (stone doesn't handle tension well). Your sprite doesn't look much like metal (it's less shiny than the original sprite) so I read it as a stone statue and I just figure that its leg is gonna break. :)

If you don't mind some excessive nerdery on the topic: compare this stone sculpture with that metal one and notice how on the stone sculpture there's a solid background to help carry the figures. Or look at how this Apollon cheated by having a support below the raised foot. If it's stone it needs be supported so that weight is always transferred downward. If the weight pulls upward then the stone breaks, and that's likely how the Venus de Milo lost both her arms.

I never...ever mind nerdery...excessive or otherwise.

Very imformative. Thanks for the info. If you wish to talk on the subject further, pm me. I do want to hijack this topic.

Imp Statue is done(I HOPE). Warning big image. That why it's in a spoiler.

Spoiler

59e787d54697e_IMPStatueSTEPS.png.14ad3c0ed0a4eec55eee0b71d6c7953a.png

EDIT: Does any know of a faster way of doing the A-B step in GIMP? Right now what I am doing is: Scale>Gaussian Blur>Un-sharpen Mask> Manually using the Smudge tool to remove pixelated edges and and overall smoothing.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus

So I've been working with a lot of the advice given. I've been adding lots of tanrocks and mud pits, and I got rid of the grass. The mountains also have a bit of shading to them.

Screenshot_Doom_20171018_125312.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171018_125326.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171018_125350.png

The Doom trees are inherently ugly. I often try to use them in patches mixed with the smaller grey tree rather than dotting one down, maybe with a few stalagmites. I am well aware of the repetitive nature of humans so if it is feasible I often walk around in-game trying to spot blotches from different angles to remedy those.

BkwAaWo.png

I made a demo to show what I think. Run it with prboom+ if you want a nice sky as it uses skytransferrer.

https://ufile.io/5jzcv

5 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Nice, reminds me of the /vr/ Golden Boner awards.

2r1WNCt.pngFUOluIQ.png

13 minutes ago, RjY said:

Nice, reminds me of the /vr/ Golden Boner awards.

2r1WNCt.pngFUOluIQ.png

HAH! I had no idea that existed!

I just found it in Google images somewhere. I did not intend to steal it and I apologize sincerely.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Hog said:

🤨

What's this? It's a square on my computer and I am trying to find the font pack that I am a lacking. [ /off topic]

1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

What's this? It's a square on my computer and I am trying to find the font pack that I am a lacking. [ /off topic]

It's this eyebrow-raise emoji from Emoji 5.0. I'm using it a bit prematurely, but most vendors are rolling out support for it around about now (Microsoft apparently putting it out as part of today's Win 10 Fall Update, Twitter and Google supporting it for a while, Apple rolling out support with iOS 11.1 sometime soon-ish...), so it'll possibly be not-square soon enough.

18 hours ago, DemonusDefunctus said:

Getting there.

Hide contents

59e7c971215b0_BARONOFHELLAB.png.b5fea067e4f59dfd5af6b4f6e2369f57.png

I think the hand is too much like that of a human. Looks promising otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I think the hand is too much like that of a human. Looks promising otherwise.

It barely looks like that in the final image.

Spoiler

3BDqpFy.png