Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Finished building my first Quake level, Temple of Azathoth

Not bad, but you have some pretty bad slowdowns in some places. First place specifically is in the first area you encounter the fiends, this speed issue is not because of the monsters but seem to be more related to r_speeds issues or some vis bug. You need to look into improving the optimisation in areas like that a lot.

EDIT: Looking at the map with r_showtris 1 I can see that the're a lot of density to the polygons in that area. Most of them are pretty much just unnecessary compiler polies too. If you worked over your brush usage a bit you could bring that down A LOT. 

Edited by kristus

25 minutes ago, kristus said:

Not bad, but you have some pretty bad slowdowns in some places. First place specifically is in the first area you encounter the fiends, this speed issue is not because of the monsters but seem to be more related to r_speeds issues or some vis bug. You need to look into improving the optimisation in areas like that a lot.

EDIT: Looking at the map with r_showtris 1 I can see that the're a lot of density to the polygons in that area. Most of them are pretty much just unnecessary compiler polies too. If you worked over your brush usage a bit you could bring that down A LOT. 

Hmm, never found any noticeable slowdown in any areas during my testing on my laptop, which is incredibly shitty for games (it has an Intel HD chip that can only do OpenGL 1.1).  >=50fps was my target fps and it never dipped down.  What sort of computer are you using and are you using Quakespasm?

I'm also kind of wondering if I should disable detail brushes for a final vis pass...

Was using DP. I know you said it had lighting issues. But I just turned off the advanced lighting effects and that usually fixes it. Also made a pk3 out of you package and Quakespasm don't seem to read pk3.

EDIT: That said I am using an:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.70 GHz

Radeon RX 580

16 mb ram

Windows 10

Yeah, don't use Darkplaces... you're computer beats my desktop and it ran at a constant 72fps.

And why on earth make a pk3 for something that you can just drop into id1/maps?

Don't like messes and it was so easy to just make a pk3 out of the zip. Just rename the folder you put it in to maps and replace the file extention. Dunno why you didn't do that yourself since that would have made installing it less of a mess, even if you ask players to unzip it.

25 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Yeah, don't use Darkplaces...

Not just for performance. It tends to destroy the intended visuals quite efficiently.

That level looks great, btw, and of course no performance issues using a port that keeps the game what it was meant to be.

Nice to see some new blood in the quake 1 mapping community! Have an FDA.

(type "playdemo tofaz_breezeep" in console)

A damn fine runic level with tons of little brush details and cool lighting (I wasn't very fond of the torch light color choice tbh, needs more orange). Gameplay was fun enough for me, but the end encounter can get pretty intense, especially with that final fight with the 4 shamblers. It's a bit too excessive for quake 1 gameplay standards. Otherwise, great job, and congrats on the release!

12 minutes ago, Breezeep said:

(I wasn't very fond of the torch light color choice tbh, needs more orange)

Other things emit a lot of red. I think yellow offsets that well, even if it's a little unnatural.

Loved the final room. The rest of the map too, but it saved the best view for the last. Managed to get suspended in air somehow after falling from a bridge:

ggTQx1M.png

Didn't get stuck or anything, so probably not worth bothering with. Quake has quirky collision detection.

1 hour ago, kristus said:

Don't like messes and it was so easy to just make a pk3 out of the zip. Just rename the folder you put it in to maps and replace the file extention. Dunno why you didn't do that yourself since that would have made installing it less of a mess, even if you ask players to unzip it.

Because that's just how it's done. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's how Quakespasm (and vanilla Quake) work. I can't help you if you don't follow directions.

Had a quick look in MarkV WinQuake. Great architecture, lighting and gameplay. Got halfway through before accidently dropping into lava at a locked door.

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

The rest of the map too, but it saved the best view for the last

Well, it was made linearly, so the first room was made first, the last one last.  I mean,  went back and modified stuff at the end, but essentially that's how it was designed.  Because of this, I think it's evident how I got more comfortable with the editor over time.

The map looks great. I haven't played it yet – I think I'm getting ill. I will definitely try it when I'm feeling better.