Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuaveSteve

Feedback on Archvile and Revenant replacements

I recently tried out Freedoom (0.11.3) and noticed a map I was working on was significantly more difficult in dark areas, and that's with truecolour!

The revenant replacement is very dark compared to the original, so in maps where the author was counting on its white and red shades giving contrast, yours blends in to just about be invisible.

The archvile replacement is just harder to see, period.

Looking by topic' title I thinked there will be something about new students (i.e. new revenant and archvile). I was wrong.

Dude, don't wanna say something insulting, but anyway, why did you created literally empty topic? we all know that those ones are 'problematique' in terms of design and visibility, so then? Do you have something for 'em replacing, non?

Go easy @CWolf :P not many people know about what's a placeholder and what's official in Freedoom.

The Archvile sprites are 100% placeholder sprites. There was a cool concept done by a guy before but no one has been able to contact him. Here's a preview:

image.jpg.f4c0092cb03acf4a9ae90667ae389a3c.jpg

The Revenant sprite is decent enough, but there are plans to replace/renovate the sprites so they seem consistent in terms of design. Currently, the Revenant will be a 4 tentacled, upright walking, monster with white-ish armor and shoulder cannons, with a head covered by a helmet similar to those gas masks. Unfortunately the artist responsible for this has also gone out of touch :( here's a preview:

image.jpg.884c14ea9dab454e5d2d7adc65f8a9ef.jpg

5 hours ago, Voros said:

Go easy @CWolf :P not many people know about what's a placeholder and what's official in Freedoom.

The Archvile sprites are 100% placeholder sprites. There was a cool concept done by a guy before but no one has been able to contact him. Here's a preview:

The Revenant sprite is decent enough, but there are plans to replace/renovate the sprites so they seem consistent in terms of design. Currently, the Revenant will be a 4 tentacled, upright walking, monster with white-ish armor and shoulder cannons, with a head covered by a helmet similar to those gas masks. Unfortunately the artist responsible for this has also gone out of touch :( here's a preview:

image.jpg.884c14ea9dab454e5d2d7adc65f8a9ef.jpg

When I played Freedoom:Phase2 the Arch-vile looked different, it looked like a red skeleton.

18 minutes ago, Herzon said:

When I played Freedoom:Phase2 the Arch-vile looked different, it looked like a red skeleton.

Right. Because it's still a skeleton. One, ugly, badly animated skeleton.

I know nobody asked my opinion, but I wanted to comment something about these two monsters for so long. This comes from a player-only, I've seen that cyclops before and I think it would totally fit in the bestiary, and I'm really glad the flame bringer is temporary XD. The dark soldier in my opinion is a bit creepy, which is good, but I think if he was taller would fit better compared to the rest of the biped mid-tiers. Also, what about the combat slug? Is he a "placeholder" or it's definitive? I mean, again just my opinion, I think he'd look better if a bit darker.

On 21.10.2017 at 7:22 PM, CWolf said:

Aren't both those sprites were made by Raymoohawk, eh?

The Archvile concept was originally created by Urric and first mentioned in this post (the animated GIF is still available via the Wayback Machine). At some later stage Raymoohawk apparently contacted Urric and IIRC it was decided that they would either combine their efforts to complete the sprite sheet or Raymoohawk would do it alone (I can't find the relevant posts ATM, sorry). Either way this hasn't been finished yet (but would be great if it were).

33 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Also, what about the combat slug? Is he a "placeholder" or it's definitive? I mean, again just my opinion, I think he'd look better if a bit darker.

HorrorMovieGuy has been working on a more polished version of the current sprites. In addition Raymoohawk also proposed his own version of the same concept (and I also remember a creepier variation too, but can't find it right now), but again, it's very far from being complete.

On 10/21/2017 at 2:22 PM, Voros said:

Here's a preview:

Where did you get that one? that image was not part of the originally posted previews by Urric. It would be great if we could collect all the sprites we could so maybe it'll be easier to complete it.

The style in that one is a bit different than the one from Urric, was it done by someone else?

I feel the Archvile replacement should look as similar to the half life vortigaunt as can be (while still being within the art style)