Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quineotio

Portals

I'm having difficulty getting portals to work with Line_SetPortal. I'm using UDMF and running the map in ZDoom 2.81. I can't get it to do anything.

I'm using "Line_SetPortal" on a double sided line with the "Exit Line Tag" set to be the same as the exit line (235). Picture. The floor and ceilings of the entrance and exit sectors are the same height. The entrance and exit lines are the same size. I've tried both "Visual only" and "Visual + simple teleporter" portal types.

I've downloaded a couple of sample wads such as "portal.wad" from here and they don't work either.

Are portals working? I can't find any definitive info.

Line portals are only available in dev builds, I recommend you pick one up from the DRDTeam website. Portals themselves work far better in GZDoom's Hardware renderer anyways, I believe.

Thanks for your reply.

Damn that's a shame, they would be really useful. I won't use them until/unless they appear in a final version. I hope they are fully implemented. Could do some really cool stuff.

Jaxxoon R said:

Portals themselves work far better in GZDoom's Hardware renderer anyways, I believe.

That is true for sector plane portals, but line portals work without restrictions in ZDoom's software renderer.

If you're just using Line_Set Portal, you're not going to be getting anywhere. You need both a Line_Set Portal for your portal entrance, and a Line_Set Portal Target for your portal exit, and both lines need to be tagged properly. I would also do the same thing for the other side, with lines 0.125 close to the original portal lines, for that nice little two-way action. I believe Nutty Frog has a useful tutorial for getting these things to work.

Firstly, you might want to upgrade to GZDoom. ZDoom isn't being developed any more (and can't do anything GZDoom won't do).

On topic though: it's not obvious why your portal isn't working. Visual+teleporter should work ok, although Interactive or Static (Eternity style) are probably best. You don't need a return portal (although having a one way portal can be a bit mean!).  It could simply be your copy of ZDoom is too old.

This question is a year old, for the record.

(But then, I'm replying to a reply from Saturday, so I suppose I'm not helping.)