Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herzon

Worst Doom Level

What is your least favorite Doom level? I know, there are there are tons of crappy Doom levels. But if you had to pick one from the classic games (Doom Doom 2 Final Doom And Master Levels) that you could NEVER play again, which one would it be? I hate Barrels'O'Fun the most.

Barrels o fun certainly isn't fun but it has a rather doom 2 ish dark ambienceish thing about the whole level. The Citadel is the worst. The red building is the only interesting thing about it.

Come to think of it, I don't hate any map. There are plenty though I might say "oh, this map..." and be kinda meh. But never do I hate any IWAD map.

I feel there's something exceptionally meh about the design of E3M1. It has some relatively interesting stuff, like the starting room, the collapsing thing, the doors that go down instead of up... but it's just a bunch of rooms, with almost no sidepaths or secrets, let alone something as elaborate as interconnectedness or secrets. And today I found out you can't even open the last few doors from behind, so that's as linear as it can get.

Its E1M7. The most hated thing I hate cause jesus christ this took me like 10-20 minutes to finish that shitty map with CS:GO mod

MAP31 Wolfenstein. Dull, lacking anything but pinkies and SS troops to fight, hardly any merit outside of being an in-joke easter egg.  At least MAP32 Grosse has a cyberdemon and it's short.

E2M9 Fortress of Mystery and MAP30 Icon of Sin kind of suck too, but I can at least sort of appreciate the gimmicks behind them if not the execution, so all in all I'd probably rather cut MAP31, still.  I usually skip the secret exit when I replay Doom II.

From Ultimate Doom, I'm not a fan of E2M3. Maybe it's the intermission track which makes this drag so much for me. E2M9's at least shorter and easy to skip. E4M4 also stands out in a poor way, since it's not as crazy at pistol-start as E4M3 and looks very drab and plays workmanlike. And in Doom II, maps 02, 21, and 25 are too constrained and underwhelming; 19 has a bunch of unintuitive parts which I didn't have too much trouble figuring out on my first playthrough, but just weren't fun or well-built anyway.

Re: secret maps, there's always E1M9 over the Wolfenstein-derived junk in the sequel.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Come to think of it, I don't hate any map. There are plenty though I might say "oh, this map..." and be kinda meh. But never do I hate any IWAD map.

Same. But some maps tend to disappoint me when I revisit them.

Hunted in Plutonia, The Chasm and Nirvana in Doom 2 and Warrens and Fortress of Mystery in Doom/Ultimate Doom.

Whenever I play Doom 2, it is always, ALWAYS the pit that stops me from continuing on in one single playthrough. Constant tight areas with lots of demons blocking your path becoming a giant clusterfuck everytime.

3 hours ago, Impie said:

Can I consider Doom 2 and Final Doom a single map?

If only you're talking about "Memorial" wads which contains EVERY IWAD map into 1 map.

Given the "pick this map and you can never play it again" bit in the OP, definitely Doom2 MAP31. It's purely a novelty, and it's long worn off by now.

Oh goodness the memories...

I think one of the worst experiences for me so far would be TNT's "Habitat". I don't remember the slot it was in, and that's probably for the better. The map wasn't really interesting, and the MIDI wasn't exactly redeeming either. There are other maps for sure, but this was the first that came to mind for some reason, so it qualifies for the time being, I'd say.

Dis. 

Iconic, but a garbage level nonetheless. It's an even bigger disappointment over what it could have been in context of its namesake. One gets the impression that the id was running out of steam and time, wanting to get the product shipped. 

40 minutes ago, Job said:

Dis. 

Iconic, but a garbage level nonetheless. It's an even bigger disappointment over what it could have been in context of its namesake. One gets the impression that the id was running out of steam and time, wanting to get the product shipped. 

Every boss battle looks like it was made in 5 minutes.

Ultimate Doom: Unholy Cathedral (the damn teleporters are a waste of time)

Doom 2: Barrels O' Fun (it's anything but "fun" with the Pain Elementals and Lost Souls everywhere)

Final Doom: Haven't finished it and I am far from it, so I will put MAP08 Metal here (currently stuck at it and I haven't played Final Doom in a while, thanks to that map). COULDN'T THEY USE MORE HITSCANNERS??? DO I HAVE TO PLAY PEEK A BOO TO FINISH THE STUPID MAP???

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

(FRIGGING HABITAT!)

22. The thing is that the sewers seem to make the players suffer from losing their ways. Those secrets doesn't make any sense because you need to cross a certain linedef 969 miles away from the secret. Probably this is one thing that TNT went too far on puzzles (if this can be called a puzzle). However, there are some nice details, such as the merging of poison and water. Also, there are so funny ideas, like the secret inside the exit hole, which doesn't appear again as far as my knowledge goes.

Funny thing is that, there's a blue room which looks like the blue room in Chasm, so back in the day, I always joked about bad maps always having a senseless blue room. (Of course, I don't really hate Chasm but I don't like it either.)