Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Wendy's all white-meat chicken strips

g0PAHKA.png

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few weeks, you've probably already heard about Wendy's new all white-meat chicken strips. Wendy's have been vigorously pushing these strips along with their new S'awesome Sauce ever since they were added to the menu, so I thought I'd try them out tonight.

The actual chicken looks and tastes about as good as it does in the promotional materials. It's fresh, tender, cooked properly, and isn't greasy. If you've already had any of their chicken sammiches before, then you'll know what to expect. The coating however is slightly different than from what you see in the promotional materials. It's a little darker, and there's a greater visibility of pepper. But fear not, because the chicken coating hits all the right notes. It's crunchy, salty, peppery, and only slightly greasy. Overall, I was highly impressed by these chicken strips. There isn't a single thing about them that I would change.

As with their all white-meat chicken strips, Wendy's have not been the least bit diffident when it comes to their new S'awesome Sauce that comes with the strips. An official press release describes the sauce as follows: "The signature side of S’Awesome sauce adds a deliciously different taste to the classic handheld snack, combining tangy, sweet, and smoky into a one savory flavor". I didn't know exactly what to expect with this sauce, but my hopes became a little dashed once I saw what it actually looks like. Wendy's S'Awesome Sauce is much darker in colour than from what you see in the promotional materials. Something about its appearance gave me flashbacks of Burger King's Buffalo sauce that comes with their chicken fries. I don't know if they're still using the same recipe, but that stuff was vomitous when I tried it, and I wasn't happy being reminded of it. Fortunately, my fears were quashed once I actually tried the stuff. It's basically two different sauces in one. I'm always tasting one of the sauces, but never both at the same time. Half the time it tastes like a sweet, creamy mustard dip. The other half of the time it tastes like I'm eating smoky BBQ sauce. So every time I went in for a dip, I never knew what it was that I would be tasting. This sauce made my dinner experience all the more exciting and unique. I even got an extra packet to take home that I have in my fridge right now.

Let me tell you that the hype behind these all white-meat chicken strips and S'awesome Sauce is very real. People have been losing their minds over how incredible this all is for awhile now, and I assure you that I completely understand why everyone has become so obsessed. Wendy's have delivered something very special that they have every reason to be proud of. I love Wendy's and I'm grateful for all that they've done for us.

Edited by Ajora

Just now, Ajora said:

The actual chicken looks and tastes about as good as it does in the promotional materials.

This suggests good things about the way it looks but not about the way it tastes! 

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

This raises some questions:

What happens with the "not-so white meat"? Might the production be wasteful? Are you sponsored?

The chicken strips are made from chicken breasts, and I'm pretty sure chicken breasts don't contain any dark meat. I'm also pretty sure the meat in question isn't processed.

And no, I'm not sponsored by Wendy's.

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

The chicken strips are made from chicken breasts, and I'm pretty sure chicken breasts don't contain any dark meat.

How can you be so close minded? Are you sure you're not sponsored by Wendy's? Look at your red hair!

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

FUCK WENDY'S! Arby's is going to have a Venison sandwich. beat that! 1024x557_Venison_silo_tan.jpg

I didn't know about this until now, but it appears that the promotion was a one day thing that lasted all of yesterday.

2 hours ago, grouchbag said:

Do they have vegetarian meals?

The have fries, baked potatoes, apple slices, and salads that you can ask for no cheese on.

... That's about it.

As far as these chicken strips go, they ... well, they remind me of food from my high school cafeteria. The sauce is nice, though, even if it's so generic I can't remember what it tastes like. But overall, they just kinda make me miss the spicy chicken nuggets, why they removed 'em from the menu I have no idea.

Fries, yum,baked taters, YUM!Apples, ugh.Salads, yes.Cheese, can't eat it.Thanks for letting me know tho.I haven't been to a Wendy's or any other fast food place in over 20 yrs.Don't get out much.Guess I'll have to get out more now. :)

4 hours ago, Ajora said:

I'm not sponsored by Wendy's.

That what you want us to think! I'm on to you, pal!!

It is for us, but in the US it's one of the many many "not McDonalds" fast food places. They have a fuckload of them - Whataburger, 5 guys burgers and fries, Chick fil A etc etc. Way more joints than Aussie land, here it's McDonalds, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) or KFC and that's literally it. Not that we need a million minor variations on the McDonalds business formula or anything.

5 hours ago, MrGlide said:

FUCK WENDY'S! Arby's is going to have a Venison sandwich. beat that! 1024x557_Venison_silo_tan.jpg

omg look at that, its heaven.

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It is for us, but in the US it's one of the many many "not McDonalds" fast food places. They have a fuckload of them - Whataburger, 5 guys burgers and fries, Chick fil A etc etc. Way more joints than Aussie land, here it's McDonalds, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) or KFC and that's literally it. Not that we need a million minor variations on the McDonalds business formula or anything.

Chick-Fil-A doesn't have burgers. Hell, genuinely the only meat they serve is, well, chicken.

It's also pretty detail-missing to compare the burgers of McDonald's, Wendy's, Whataburger, and Five Guys, because I can 100% assure you that if you want a burger from one of those places, the others won't really hit craving quite right. They might have a similar menu on the surface, but their approach to pretty much everyone on the menu is pretty different.

It's really not like those dime-a-dozen "Chinese" places where you get flavorless fried rice on the side of soggy meat and veggies in some completely indistinct brown sauce. I mean, if you don't really like burgers or chicken sandwiches then I suppose they might as well be indistinct from each other, but that's a whole different matter.

I have not eaten fast food in something like 10 years. I just cannot bring myself to putting that crap in my body (at least no more than once a year). I love cooking and can make anything I want. Plus my versions of everything are much better than the paper wrapped poison you can buy from your car. I make a pita pizza with from-scratch sauce that would blow your mind. I make an intense mushroom and Swiss turkey burger and my Garden tomato soup is just to die for. Also I have perfected pasta. No need for crud that will lead to a horrible stomach.

EDIT: I don't think it make me better than..or...I don't care if does at least. That fact the some people think we think more of ourselves because of say more about them then us. I just prefer my food. Plus my wife from Argentina so they are all basically Italian. The whole of Argentina is really just all of eastern Europe on a different land mass.

Edited by DemonusDefunctus : spelling/grammar

Industrial processed shit will never beat competent homecooking from fresh raw ingredients.

I was almost certain that I had seen the Wendy's logo in my homeland but wikipedia tell me that company has never established a presence there.  Very Strange... Might have to make a sojourn over the pond at some point in the future and if northing else - to confuse border guards.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Industrial processed shit will never beat competent homecooking from fresh raw ingredients.

It's just chicken strips. There's not much to "industrially process" here.

1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

I was almost certain that I had seen the Wendy's logo in my homeland but wikipedia tell me that company has never established a presence there.  Very Strange... Might have to make a sojourn over the pond at some point in the future and if northing else - to confuse border guards.

"Someone's trying to cross the border with dozens of bags of chicken strips, I've seen it all now!"

19 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

I honestly think the Franchise has degraded greatly in value, so yall aren't missing much.

From someone who remembers the Wendy's of the 80s, of course you're right. Rest In Peace, Salad Bar.

I always love in these fast-food threads they always have people who think they're high and mighty for not eating fast-food.

11 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

From someone who remembers the Wendy's of the 80s, of course you're right. Rest In Peace, Salad Bar.

Ah, the much fabled Wendy's Salad Bar. I've heard stories. I'm pretty sure there's never been one in Canada, and if there has, then I haven't seen it. Aside from that, I don't agree with them having gone downhill. Their food has been pretty consistent throughout my time spent on this planet, and I can speak positively about their decision to season their delicious fries with sea salt. However, I miss their Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger. They promised that burger as a permanent menu staple, but it was discontinued after a few months.

20 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

I always love in these fast-food threads they always have people who think they're high and mighty for not eating fast-food.

Everyone is their own hero.

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

Ah, the much fabled Wendy's Salad Bar. I've heard stories. I'm pretty sure there's never been one in Canada, and if there has, then I haven't seen it. Aside from that, I don't agree with them having gone downhill. Their food has been pretty consistent throughout my time spent on this planet, and I can speak positively about their decision to season their delicious fries with sea salt. However, I miss their Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger. They promised that burger as a permanent menu staple, but it was discontinued after a few months.

But what about other planets you have spent time on. What was the Wendys like on those? :D

Okay, this is at the point where I'm starting to get annoyed. I copy-pasted my review to reddit and at least half of the people there seem to believe that I'm working for Wendy's. Let me be as clear as I possibly can be. 

Corporate shilling is an often illegal practice. If I was being sponsored by Wendy's, then I'd be legally required to announce this. Wendy's are too smart to risk burying themselves under a mountain of litigation over a mere message board post. Let the record show that I am not in any way being sponsored by Wendy's.