Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Red

Your favorite Mech/Mecha/Giant Robot

Easy. Gigantor. He even has his own them song and always wins. Always. 

Prometheus from Starsiege (1999).

1372990366122.jpg

I don't have words to describe how terrifying it was (as a kid) to finally reach this boss in the human campaign. Mainly because it's a robot mastermind that's hyped up in the most over-the-top melodramatic way imaginable:

Also, one of those instances where the boss battle actually lives up to the intimidating expectations. Scary looking, and verbally taunts you at first sight (while charging from a distance). He is very difficult to defeat as well (10-20 tries at least). Thankfully the hype leading up to the ending is well deserved in that respect.

Mecha fight?

How about Dingo (Jehuty) and Nohman (Anubis) from Zone of the Enders 2?

Giant robots is something I don't fully get despite seeing quite a few mecha anime series. Often I feel like all interesting stuff in them happens while the characters are outside of these ridiculous machines and the plot is actually progressing. Most of the action looks kinda similar and uneventful to me. I think maybe it's a bit of a shame that the mecha genre was invented because Japanese sci-fi could have been much more varied, but instead for a while it became all about toys.

I kind of liked the realistic approach to mecha in Dai Guard. It was so refreshing to see a robot that SUCKED. It takes hours to even activate it because you need to get all sorts of permissions from the government, operating it is extremely awkward and requires at least three well coordinated pilots, maintaining it is extremely expensive so every little step matters, the maneuverability is pathetic, and when you get outside of it you have to write countless reports before they let you go home. Now that was entertaining to watch.

Haven't watched many mecha anime besides gainax stuff, so i'll go with Eva 02. Dix-Neuf from Diebuster is a cool one too.

I will agree with Unicron as my favourite giant mech. And the introduction in the movie was killer. A genocide of mass proportions and one of the coolest versions of the Transformers theme. Now that was straight to the point. 

Also, too bad that Primus didn't get as much screen time as Unicron, in his robot form (he only appeared in the Cybertron series iirc). HE IS CYBERTRON DAMN IT!!!

Back on topic...

Talked too much about Transformers, but in case smaller robots count, Optimus Prime (nuff said...) and Soundwave can not be omitted from my list. And I can't believe I am writing this, but I think I like Starscream too (he is funny in G1, his scenes in the movie were great, with the coronation scene being awesome and his Armada character was truly unique).

Finally, maybe the Megazord would be another favourite of mine (I watched 3 Power Rangers shows while I was a kid, so I can't pass this robot by).

5 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Omega Supreme from Transformers, EVA-01 and Striker Eureka.

eva_01_arm_regeneration_by_atik12-d78ny8

[weeb]EVA units aren't robots.[/weeb]

Edited by Ajora

f71b06d88f3a558b301a9eabe96112c2-d89u1co

8 hours ago, CWolf said:

Battletech universe had my most favorite mechs.

Daishi, Bushwalker, Vulture... eh, good times for sure, good times.

Bushwacker best wacker

Saturn or whatever its called from Borderlands 2

EDIT: Or Sahelanthropus from MGSV

Metal Gear Rex, Skull-One (from Macross), Mazinkaiser, Godannar, Hyaku Shiki (from Zeta Gundam), MSΖ-006 Zeta Gundam, Mecha Godzilla, and the Megazord (originally from Zyuranger). But if I had to pick one, Metal Gear Rex is my fav.

My favourite types of mech are the sleek humanoid Gundam style mechs, particularly ones with gigantic, pointy wings or some sort of angelic aesthetic. Are wings really necessary on a mech that can simply use thrusters for flight? Are they just ridiculous and impractical in combat? These are great questions, but... Is it awesome as all hell?

Examples:

Spoiler

0ab5d645f6731d2dec6de9d5ce94b872--gundam

Oh yeah, and the Orokin ships from Warframe. Just simply gorgeous and the colour scheme looks amazing on my Excalibur.

Robotech, Battletech and of course Voltron.  The destructive power of something as tall as a 5-story building is crucial to enjoyment.

When I was in middle school, my friend liked to draw images of the Iron Giant, complete with testicles and a big metal dong.  They were really funny, and I got a big kick out of seeing the character make an appearance in the Ready Player One movie.

I was pretty obsessed with the Summoner as a kid, even tried to make a costume of it out of K'Nex. Something about that big missile pod on its shoulder.

551518-mechwarrior-2-31st-century-combat

I am not really that much into mechs, but I did enjoy the design of White-Glint from Armored Core very much. Actually all the Armored Core mechs. Still have some model kits of them back home.

armored-core-1.png

4 hours ago, GuyMcBrofist said:

I was pretty obsessed with the Summoner as a kid, even tried to make a costume of it out of K'Nex. Something about that big missile pod on its shoulder.

551518-mechwarrior-2-31st-century-combat

Isn't that the "Thor" mech from Battletech universe?

Would have to be something out of One Must Fall 2097.  Probably Jaguar, sure it wasn't the most exotic contender in the lineup but how I loved that overhead throw move.  Especially in the power plant arena where you could throw your opponent into the power lines and shock them.  But most of them were cool.

13 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I wish Mech Commander 2 would work on my current PC.

I've heard the new Battletech game is alright

Does the Icon of Sin count? It's a giant piece of metal being piloted by a head. I can argue it's a giant mech behind a wall that it's torn through.