Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoDoomer

Doom Slayer's possible connection idea

It is a common theory that The Doom Slayer is the same marine from the original three games.  I was curious if a sequel is made and the developers make him the same marine would it be a good idea to say that his biology had been changed after all the exposure to the blood and energy from Hell's inhabitants?  This would explain how he has survived so long.

Edited by CacoDoomer

9 minutes ago, CacoDoomer said:

As we all know, it is implied that The Doom Slayer is the same marine from the original three games.

"We" don't all know this. Just to be clear: that would mean that Doom 1 is about a marine stationed on Mars when the UAC opens a portal to Hell, and then somehow cleans up and keeps going, and Doom 3 involves the same marine being stationed on Mars while the UAC is ONCE AGAIN doing experiments with hell portals and the same exact accident occurs, and then that marine slumbers for aeons or whatever and wakes up to... the UAC on Mars, doing the same hell portal experiments, again.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:31 PM, CacoDoomer said:

It is a common theory that The Doom Slayer is the same marine from the original three games.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the first two not three. Unless you meant Doom 64, which may or may not be canon despite it taking place after Doom II.

Doom - Doom II - Doom 64 - Doom (2016)

Doom's story is a bit wacky, so I don't know if there is even a canon.

According to the lore codex of the Doom Slayer in Quake Champions, where he is a playable character, his artifact is the left hind leg of his pet rabbit Daisy, who is explained in the item description to have been killed by "marauding demons when their invasion of Earth began." Since the episode four ending of The Ultimate Doom has the classic Doomguy finding that the demons have already invaded Earth and killed his pet rabbit Daisy, it can be considered further evidence that the Doom Slayer is the same space marine from the classic games.

- Doomwiki.org

Actually maybe there is a canon.

---

I'd like to see someone try to stitch all the Doom games into one story though:

Doom (+TFC) - Doom II (+NRftL) - TNT - Plutonia - Doom 64 - Doom 3 (+RoE, TLM) - Doom (2016)

Dear god that'd be a fucking disaster.

---

Back on track:

On 7/21/2017 at 11:31 PM, CacoDoomer said:

This would explain how he has survived so long.

I think the reason he survived for this long is because he was put into stasis in-between Doom II and 2k16, if we ignore 64.

Edited by DepravedDiptera

On 21/7/2017 at 11:40 PM, Linguica said:

"We" don't all know this. Just to be clear: that would mean that Doom 1 is about a marine stationed on Mars when the UAC opens a portal to Hell, and then somehow cleans up and keeps going, and Doom 3 involves the same marine being stationed on Mars while the UAC is ONCE AGAIN doing experiments with hell portals and the same exact accident occurs, and then that marine slumbers for aeons or whatever and wakes up to... the UAC on Mars, doing the same hell portal experiments, again.

You can resume the entire Doom franchise in one word: UAC

Seems like in DOOM 2016 it is an accepted fact that the Hell invasions happened during UAC's history at various times, and it is happening some time in the future after Doom3's events since D3 is referred to it in various occasions (Hayden's office, Soul Cube in Olivia's office etc.) Doom3 might have been happening at an earlier phase of UAC's conquering of Mars surface and Doom & Doom 2 somewhere even earlier. They might have been expanding the Mars base between the games to cover more of Martian surface. I was somehow reading between the lines when reading the various references in the description of different artifacts, demons, weapons etc. that are available throughout the game as the small UAC-hologram information hard drives.

Somehow Hayden's character also seems to be ok with the Hell Invasion in D2016 in a way that leads to wonder, if he was aware of all the invasions happening before.

Just a thought. :)

I must admit to being a little surprised that nobody has mentioned what I thought was a fairly obvious possibility: that Hell connects to different times and timelines and that the Doom Slayer may well be from an alternate timeline (whether he's the original Doom marine or indigenous to Argent D'Nur is obviously debatable).

Hell in fiction is often outright stated or alluded to as being a realm of chaos. That would mean that time and space doesn't work according to conventional laws; suppose the UAC exists in multiple timelines and opened a gate to Hell one way or the other in each. The Soul Cube makes an appearance in Doom 2016, possible because it ended up in Hell when it sealed the Hell portal in Doom 3 and as Hell connects to multiple timeline universes, the Doom2016 UAC recovered it during one of its survey missions to Hell.

I've brought up that possibility before. It definitely makes the Doom 3 series make more sense if it's in a different timeline or universe than the rest of the games which, nevertheless, interacts with them through the connection that is Hell.

There was even some stuff destined to be in the 2016 Doom that seems to have been cut before release, like the statement that they were moving toward "pandimensionality", like, on a quest to connect all universes or something...

Yes, I seem to remember it being mentioned in other threads. My surprise expressed above was at the fact that nobody saw fit to mention it in this thread.

As "we" (Ling, Rock & Bones) know... Doom Slayer can't be the first Doomarine, because he suicides at the end of Doom 2. Doomguy is John Romero sent to the future to be in the right place at the right time. Then when Doomero goes back to Earth and kills the icon of Sin he's really killing himself. Suiciding because he is the one that spawned all the demons, both in the icon of Sin level and making Doom / Doom II. Unless.... Doom 2 takes place after Doom 3 & Doom 4!!!

I wrote this up as a way to connect Doom 64 to DOOM (for my Doom 64 TC):

Directly after killing the Mother Demon, you travel through a deep ancient cave system and reach an ancient portal to another realm of Hell; Argent D'Nur. It is in this realm where you come across many ancient and unholy structures and complexes of Hell, and soon discover the Night Sentinels and their war against the Demons. Seeing what is happening causes you to help the Sentinels destroy the Demons and join their fight throughout the "Umbral Plains." You eventually discover a sacred castle where you are blessed by the seraphim with unmatched strength and speed, even more so than ever before (this will be on the secret level of the episode, but we can assume the protagonist always finds the "secret" levels).

With this new power, you are challenged to a battle with the Titan, which you manage to defeat. The Praetor Suit is bestowed upon you along with the Crucible. Not long after, the Night Sentinels were betrayed and you seek retribution for what the Demons have done. You devastate many areas of Hell including the "Blood Temples," leaving nothing to chance and showing no mercy to eventually "end the dominion of the dark realm."

Your conquest doesn't stop in Argent D'Nur, you exit the realm and decide to head to the gates of Hell and work your way back deeper into Hell as you go. Upon reaching the outermost layer of Hell, you come across the Relay satellite which sent the message that started Doom 64's plot. The satellite was actually brought into Hell itself and is still broadcasting a faint signal (like Deimos in Hell in The Ultimate Doom). To divert the UAC's inevitable attempt to enter Hell themselves to investigate, you go inside to disable it for good.

After disabling the satellite's operation, you press on and come to another "Blood Keep," a heavily fortified Hell castle (no relation to Doom 64's original Blood Keep map) with thousands of Demons that are gearing up for another invasion into your own realm (the same one that eventually happens in DOOM 2016, while you are asleep).

Eventually you reach the tombs of this keep, but something is not right. Blinded by your lust for blood, you walk into a trap set by the Demons. You are overtaken by a demonic force of some kind, stripped of your armor, and entombed in the sacred sarcophagus and buried deep inside the tombs. Your armor is buried beside you, you and it both sealed into solid rock. The temple is demolished and collapsed over the Doom Slayer, and marked to signal all Demons that you must never be freed.

Cue DOOM 2016, in which the UAC re-enters Hell, discovers the temple, and bring you back to Mars. The Demons defend your burial with all of their might as to not allow the UAC to take you back to your home world, but the UAC along with Hayden manage to retrieve you, and Hell follows. The invasion begins and the Demons have no remaining choice. It's time, they have to kill you or you will awaken and end them all as you swore. You awaken, and begin seeking retribution on every living Demon you can find. Your blood boils with hate, and all Demons must die to avenge the Night Sentinels and wipe this filth from existence.

I like to think the Doom Slayer is a native from Argent Dnur and that at one point in time it was Mars that was ruined by hell long ago hence the uncoverd ruins in the excavation site in The UAC (Rip and Tear).

There are tons of theories

Doom Slayer is Original Doomguy

Doom Slayer is the Martian Hero

Doom slayer is the betrayer in Doom 2016

Doom slayer is not connected to any of the previous games

Which is good. If any one theory was made "definitive canon", it would kill most of the mystery surrounding the Doom Slayer and make him a far less interesting character.

The mystery and the multiple possibilities to his possible origin ties well into how he wears a helmet with a visor that obscures his face.

But theories and justifications for them are always an interesting read :)

I love the fact that this is open to interpretation, it's fun to read other peoples theories and come up with your own. Here's mine:

On 9/21/2017 at 5:59 PM, Doomkid said:

I'm of the mind that OG Doomguy stayed in Hell keeping things under control for many, many years after the end of Doom64 and transformed into a sort of demigod (The Doomslayer) after all that time. Seeing as his "death" at the end of E1 hardly even phased him, I think it's safe to assume he was never a mere mortal to begin with, but after all the bullshit he's had to deal with it's become more and more clear over time that he is basically the appointed savior and protector of humanity itself. He literally takes the role as Hell's gatekeeper by choice. There is clearly something divine, or at least well beyond human when it comes to Doomguy.

All the WADs that have been released basically fill the gap between the end of Doom64 and the start of Doom 2016, it seems they designed the game to specifically canonize all WADs this way. They allowed the community to fill in the "what was it like for Doomguy while he was Hell's gatekeeper" chapter, essentially.

There are a few Doom games where you don't play as Doomguy, namely Doom3 and Resurrection of Evil. Those games simply seem to be from the perspective of two totally different, totally non-divine humans who just happen to exist in the same universe as Doomguy and have to deal with some of the bullshit that came as a result of the UAC's obsession with interdimensional travel and whatnot. Both protagonists in the 2 chapters of Doom3 are excellent soldiers of course, but other than being marines, they don't seem to have much in common and certainly don't seem to have anything to do with OG Doomguy directly. Their speed and strength seem minuscule by comparison as well, further evidence that they are normal mortals and Doomguy is something beyond that.

It is all up to debate really.  There isn't anything that suggest he is the same or not.

Personally, he maybe from another Multiverse UAC and is the guy from Doom, Doom2 and 64.  Hell just links these multiverses together.

As for Doom 3, I always felt it happened in the Doom (2016) but was covered up.  The marine you play in Doom 3 is the slayer for this universe.  He probably eventually retired and suffered from PTSD. Died years before the UAC tried again.

Edited by Zemini

On 2017-10-25 at 2:19 PM, Quasar said:

I've brought up that possibility before. It definitely makes the Doom 3 series make more sense if it's in a different timeline or universe than the rest of the games which, nevertheless, interacts with them through the connection that is Hell.

There was even some stuff destined to be in the 2016 Doom that seems to have been cut before release, like the statement that they were moving toward "pandimensionality", like, on a quest to connect all universes or something...

In the Advanced Research Complex there is a log titled Tier 3 Manifest, there is mention of pandimensional existence.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:10 PM, Zemini said:

As for Doom 3, I always felt it happened in the Doom (2016) but was covered up.  The marine you play in Doom 3 is the slayer for this universe.  He probably eventually retired and suffered from PTSD. Died years before the UAC tried again.

This kinda gave me an idea for another "out-of-nowhere" theory, or more accurately, a bit of spit-balling: The Doomslayer is some kind of embodiment of all previous "Doom Slayers" merged together by Hell's chaotic connection to all the timelines.

All of them have gone to Hell and defied it and all have been marked and "left their mark" on Hell.