Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

I don't understand how people jump straight into competitive games and slay the competition

I've tried playing TF2 and CS:GO a ton but I always get killed left and right, even if I'm 100% sure I'm not out in the open. How do you cope with this sort of thing? What are your techniques to actually getting kills?

Keep playing and improve? It has a steep learning curve as a newbie because most players on the servers have been playing it for a while. Oh also enable damage numbers and hit sounds before playing. Remember tf2 has heavy damage falloff on most weps so you'll want to sneak on people or attack with your team. 

For me it's just practice, practice, practice. I don't know what to say about TF2's comp (I hate it personally) but CSGO is definantly a bit difficult to get used to.

1: Crouching isn't immediate, your first-person model looks like it is but it takes a second for your actual model to crouch. Be aware of that, this could also apply to your corner peeking deal.

2: Reaction times in CSGO are a neccessity, Always pre-fire before rounding a corner. Try practicing with the P90 and get used to it, then move up to the harder to use weapons like the AK.

3: Follow the Spray pattern to your weapons. Look up tutorials on what to aim your crosshair at for a specific weapon, DON'T blind-fire or spray and pray. It's not worth it.

4: Teamwork. This is difficult, as you kinda have to trust your teammates not being complete jerks. After reading this, reply how you handle communication in the game, it might help me understand what you could use to use teamwork to your advantage.

5: Pick the right weapons for the right time. Choose the grenades that help the situation the most, and don't choose the most expensive weapons immediately. Your cash is important and you don't want to waste it all for an LMG only to lose it to an AWP.

These are the basics right now, you might get a couple kills with these QOL tips.

Like I said, Practice, Practice, Practice.

If by any chance you have mouse acceleration turned on, get rid of it immediately. You have no idea just how badly it's throwing off your muscle memory. 

13 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

I've tried playing TF2 and CS:GO a ton but I always get killed left and right, even if I'm 100% sure I'm not out in the open. How do you cope with this sort of thing? What are your techniques to actually getting kills?

For me with CSGO, either accept that you are going to lose and just lose or quit the game. I've never been a winner so to speak, so I accept failure on a daily basis or say "fuck this shit I'm out" and quit doing it.

F12 and learn from the better players. Don't try to mimic their reflexes or aim but something that can be learned immediately. When spectating a better player, try to think as you were playing, what would you do/where would you go in the situation. The better player corrects your tactics then you have to figure out why did he do it different than you.

Play as classes that either get kills or stay alive. In TF2 for staying alive, pick Medic until you know maps. If you want to stay alive, go engi, medic or sniper in a doorway. If you want to get kills as a new guy I'd recommend heavy or soldier. Sniper might be good, but even snipers just get counter sniped. More experienced players can destroy everything as demo.... or any class as it comes with experience. Spies can chain stab, demos can detonate a heap of people when they're no where near.

Stick with your team whether its shoulder to shoulder or you covering them from the sidelines. Just watch out for spies and stray pyros flushing out spies. Holding that line is important. Having an engi with health and a sentry is always helpful for a team that's not good enough to just rocket or sticky jump to victory like the pros do.

TF2 is like rock paper scissors. Learn what to avoid. Everything has a counter.

Spies kill entrenched enemies like engis and snipers. Engis and snipers kill anything too slow to avoid them. Pyros kill spies. Demos kill engis and anything else stupid enough to walk into a trap. Soldiers kill groups of enemies better, while heavy kills single enemies better. Soldiers should be higher up with most weapons. Pyros airblast rockets, create burn damage, check for spies and extinguish allies.

Sure a spy can still kill a pyro, a scout can shoot a heavy to death and a heavy can still destroy a level 3 sentry with a quick fix, but just do things the easy way. Less risk for the same reward.

The weapons can become rock paper scissors as well. If you're set on being a soldier and there's a level 3 sentry, use direct hit, because an engi can repair just as fast as your standard rockets can damage. If you're bad at rocket jumping use the base jumper. Gunslinger engi is for killing scouts and pyros or just being an annoyance in general. Want to distract the enemy? Go bonk atomic punch scout, get to the enemy's spawn and just shoot them and run. Then suddenly 4 people will be after you. Otherwise a spy will pick them off at their door one by one. Have a team bent on pushing forward immediately like control points? Quick fix medic. Have a team that's pushing out the door on offense? Heavy and uber medic combo. Playing MVM heavy? Go for brass beast / stock. Remember, a dead enemy is better than a slow or bleeding enemy.

Other than that play MVM boot camp for free. Learn what you can by playing against an infestation of robots. You will always get more kills than deaths.

It's practice of course, but it's also intention. If you really really want to win more than your opponent then that's half the battle. It's about learning to focus. 

I wish Doom ports had a matchmaking system for deathmatch. It's kinda hard to find a player I'm comfortable with.

1 hour ago, geo said:

Other than that play MVM boot camp for free. Learn what you can by playing against an infestation of robots. You will always get more kills than deaths.

Last time I tried boot camp I ended up with incompetent teams every single time :( I love MvM too so this was very annoying.

In TF2 you can also practice offline with and against bots on some select maps and servers. They can be a bit shit even on expert difficulty but can make for nice practice if you're being overwhelmed by real players.

If that doesn't work, just spam "FCUCKING HACKXER REEEEEE" at anyone who kills you :P actually don't

50 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Last time I tried boot camp I ended up with incompetent teams every single time :( I love MvM too so this was very annoying.

In TF2 you can also practice offline with and against bots on some select maps and servers. They can be a bit shit even on expert difficulty but can make for nice practice if you're being overwhelmed by real players.

If that doesn't work, just spam "FCUCKING HACKXER REEEEEE" at anyone who kills you :P actually don't

Play on easy. They spawn camp. Then again its been years since I've played Boot Camp on easy. The majority of competent ones are spending money on Mann Up. Its like crates with an actual game attached to it! I wish there was Mann Up of Wave 666, but that might destroy the charm and the nightmare aspect if the players are more serious about winning.

Bots offline get hung up on closing doors. Especially in HooDoo. HooDoo is a great map for clogging the pipes (meaning the bottlenecks). Demos and engis can clean up on that map. Most spies have a rough time with the choke points due to pyros flushing out the hallways.

For anyone playing 2 Fort, if you intend on winning... pick scout out of the gate. You either have 2 minutes to win or the match might as well go to a 1 hour draw. Snipers and engis get entrenched easily and quickly. I hate that map for the reason.

Attack / Defense maps are the same way. The offense either curb stomps in 2 minutes or it goes to a 10 - 20 minute defense win.

Well I dont really play that much of Competitive, but I can tell is no easy task. All those ppl had been playing the game for years in a row, theres always lots of newbies that get rekt because of that, but in games like CS:GO you have Deathmatch and even bots to pratice a lot! Thats the true key, practice and patience.