Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Someone recommend me a good Halloween movie...

I haven't seen much, so anything you suggest will probably be new to me. My only criteria are:

1. No nudity or any of that jazz -- not my thing.

2. Not too much profanity -- a little is tolerable.

3. Not gory and disturbingly disgusting horror -- that's just unpleasant to watch.

Aliens

Predator

The Thi... wait thats quite bloody.

The Haunting 1963 (Not a good idea to watch at night.)

The Shinning

Ringu

28 days later

Nosferatu the Vampyre

REC

And for your special dosis of guilty pleasure, the Doom movie.

The Brady Bunch Movie

The Adams Family Movie

The Beverly Hillbillys Movie

Pick one

Evil Dead series-wait.....I meant to say The Passion, Leave it to Beaver?Or check out the wiki pages maybe?Grease and Grease 2? (Please forgive my teasing) Actually, try some Disney horror flicks.Some of them are quite funny.But most of all, go to your local video store or check your TV Guide.There!I put my 2 cents worth in.Happy Halloween y'all!

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Threads

Oh, that's just evil. That film will ruin your weekend. Probably one of the bleakest movies ever made and the classic, lofi BBC patina only seems to make it that much more dismal.

I'm going to roll with Halloween III: Season of the Witch. The black sheep of the series, but the only film I know of to deal with witchcraft on an apocalyptic scale.

21 minutes ago, geo said:

The Brady Bunch Movie

The Adams Family Movie

The Beverly Hillbillys Movie

Pick one

7 minutes ago, grouchbag said:

Evil Dead series-wait.....I meant to say The Passion, Leave it to Beaver?Or check out the wiki pages maybe?Grease and Grease 2? (Please forgive my teasing) Actually, try some Disney horror flicks.Some of them are quite funny.But most of all, go to your local video store or check your TV Guide.There!I put my 2 cents worth in.Happy Halloween y'all!

Hey, can't a guy have personal tastes? I like Leave It to Beaver! :-P

The way I see it, there's a difference between making a movie "spooky" by involving a haunted house, ghosts, monsters, whatever, and a movie relying on graphic violence to be scary. I'm just looking for the former.

7 minutes ago, Ajora said:

The 1931 and 1958 Dracula movies are both really good.

I've seen most of the classics, but missed those somehow... they might win! :-)

Suspiria, one of the greats. It has some blood, but it's very classy.

Seconding the 1958 Horror of Dracula (called "Dracula" in the UK), and also Curse of Frankenstein. Those are the first UK Hammer versions of Dracula and Frakenstein, starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Classics!

42PercentHealth, I recommended Leave it to Beaver because I LIKED it.Grease & Grease 2 are musicals, but totally unrealistic of 50's teens.The Passion is a well made movie by Mel Gibson.Any Disney "horror" movies aren't really horror.It's just in good fun.Evil Dead series?That was a joke, but those are good movies.Either way, there are a lot of good choices.Pick a few and enjoy! :D :D :D P.S The old classic Draculas are great too.

Marebito, The Mothman Prophecies, Candyman, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Night of the Living Dead '68 (after that you're screwed).

28 minutes ago, grouchbag said:

42PercentHealth, I recommended Leave it to Beaver because I LIKED it.Grease & Grease 2 are musicals, but totally unrealistic of 50's teens.The Passion is a well made movie by Mel Gibson.Any Disney "horror" movies aren't really horror.It's just in good fun.Evil Dead series?That was a joke, but those are good movies.Either way, there are a lot of good choices.Pick a few and enjoy! :D :D :D P.S The old classic Draculas are great too.

I gotcha! Heard of Grease, and I love the song "You're the One That I Want". Will definitely have to check that one out, and the sequel if I like it.

Seen Passion.

Disney kinda stinks, TBQH. I can't take anything they make seriously.

Nightmare before Christmas

This is the movie that all of your ex girlfriends at one point said was their favorite movie ever

Ghostbusters

The original one

Blair Witch Project

A simple horror movie without too much gore or language; there's some, but it's not Saw-levels of excess.

Super 8

Kind of like The Goonies meets Cloverfield (no shakey cam)

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns

These are the Brendan Fraser mummy movies. Great Indiana Jones-like movies, though the only scares are from some of the bad CGI.

Besides Nightmare, the rest aren't really Halloween themed.

The Shining

Evil Dead (the original)

Army of Darkness

Halloween

Night of the Living Dead

Some of my recommendations.

Let's see...The Corpse Bride was good, Hotel Transylvania 1&2 if you like animated stuff.I do NOT recommend Frankenstein's Army or Nazis at the Center of the Earth.Blood Diner is one theat really takes the cake for being both gross and silly.Btw, if you like scifi, Star Trek is ok.

(Wish Ghostbusters Doom were completed)

4 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I haven't seen much, so anything you suggest will probably be new to me. My only criteria are:

1. No nudity or any of that jazz -- not my thing.

2. Not too much profanity -- a little is tolerable.

3. Not gory and disturbingly disgusting horror -- that's just unpleasant to watch.

Really not much we can recommend then. It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown?

I would recommend 1408, it's a bottle movie....... a horror bottle movie, taking place most of the time in this one darn room, you'll have fun. It's not gory, profanity-filled and has no nudity.

The Spanish version of the 1931 Dracula is pretty cool.  Obviously, any of the classic Universal horrors are great but I presume you've seen most of them.  There are loads of other from that era too but I just can't think of any of the top of my head.  Perhaps Tod Browning's Freaks?

Have you watched Gothic?  It's a British spooky film based upon the night in Geneva when the Shelleys, Byron and Polidori had their competition.  I have a real soft spot for that one. :)

7 hours ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Hey, can't a guy have personal tastes? I like Leave It to Beaver! :-P

So you'd like Zombeavers then.

4 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Event Horizon Or psycho 1960.

Event Horizon or Sunshine.

Pitch Black. Vin Diesel as Riddick and lots of blood thirsty creatures. Now I want to watch that again.

Alien is already suggested so I'll skip right to some classics. These first three are black and white and date back to the 50s and 60s. You'll find little in the way of sex, gore or swearing, but all are fantastically unnerving.

The Haunting

Psycho

The Innocents

I would also recommend The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- 1972 original. Gore-free believe it or not!

7 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Event Horizon Or psycho 1960.

1 hour ago, dethtoll said:

The Haunting

Psycho

The Innocents

I've actually seen The Haunting and Psycho. Both were pretty good.

Also, somewhat surprised to find out Texas Chainsaw Massacre has no gore. That's the only reason I avoided it, so maybe I'll check it out anyway!