Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

how to emulate walls explosion on textures?

Question

Hi, i'm working on a texture pack and i have these 3 textures that are a exploding walls from catacombs 3d:

59f51d6ac79ae_PCComputer-Catacomb3D-WallTextures-modified.png.2b11cdacabedc0b7e516ed4a05af9460.png

My question is: how can i emulate a explosion that "eliminates" the wall for a long time (the wall textures turns invisible when the explosion animation ends, without cycling)?

4 answers to this question

Assuming Boom compatibility or lower: Wall explosions would probably better be implemented as things instead of textures, firstly because animated textures always loop, secondly because textures don't make sounds. Anyway, you could do something with Boom's conveyor belt based "scripting" and 2 instantly lowerable walls behind each other. The first wall would be textured with a regular wall texture on its lower side. At some point, you'd make this wall instantly lower, revealing the second wall behind it, textured with a looping explosion texture on its lower side. A fixed small amount of time later, you'd make the second wall instantly lower too, revealing a clear way through. If you wanted the wall to make some sounds upon being "destroyed", you'd still need to involve some things to make the sounds - perhaps by hiding these things inside a nearby wall, having an explosion sound as their death sound, and crushing the things at the same time as you lower the first wall.

There is just such a scenario in Knee-Deep in ZDoom (kdizd_12.pk3) MAP01,

where you have to place an explosives device which blasts a hole into the wall

Spoiler

TkMPSID.png

for boom or zdoom?

I think the way I'd do it would be to use a 3D floor and make it invisible to show the texture animation and then when that's done, make it passable. I think these should be flags you can add in the ANIMDEFS lump.

11 hours ago, everennui said:

for boom or zdoom?

I think the way I'd do it would be to use a 3D floor and make it invisible to show the texture animation and then when that's done, make it passable. I think these should be flags you can add in the ANIMDEFS lump.

For boom...

Anyway I was asking if there's a way to make this trick using only the texture lump, without any sector trickery, but seems this could not be done on lower ports than zdoom... i'll go with a simple animated lump for that textures...

Also, how this ANIMDEFS trick you wrote above works?

Edited by Walter confetti