Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Any Doom 3 mappers who can help me solve this problem?

So I am messing around with Doom 3 mapping and I just created a patch mesh bevel to create a smooth corner on this tech thingy I am making. But that creates this problem:

https://imgur.com/a/7fhFv

How do I close this? Am I suppose to use another patch mesh somehow? A brush? I am not sure how I am suppose to deal with sitations like this :/ Any Doom 3 mappers out there who can help me out?

I think yes, a patch mesh should go there, and drag the corner vertex and its neighbours to achieve a shape that perfectly fills that spot. You should have a symmetrical arrangement of those vertices.

Not 100% if it will match perfectly, though… But try.

3 hours ago, printz said:

I think yes, a patch mesh should go there, and drag the corner vertex and its neighbours to achieve a shape that perfectly fills that spot. You should have a symmetrical arrangement of those vertices.

Not 100% if it will match perfectly, though… But try.

Thanks. I was able to fix this after some trial and error by using the "thicken patch mesh" option. Now it looks pretty great!

Select the bevel

Shift+C -> Bevel -> Ok

If you want the opposite shape, select inverted bevel

I usually ungroup the resulting construction so I can modify each part by hand. Also, Doom3Edit has a somewhat retarded default setting where the bevel is facing the opposite way of what you want (for the most part), so using ctrl+i will invert that.

Revisiting one level of mine, here's something else I did: I made the curve patch, and then added brushes to fill the gap. Each brush had the "nodraw" texture on the faces that overlapped the meshes, to avoid z-fighting, and textured otherwise. I carefully zoomed in and reduced the grid to align and fit the brush edges with the patch mesh segments.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

So I am messing around with Doom 3 mapping and I just created a patch mesh bevel to create a smooth corner on this tech thingy I am making. But that creates this problem:

https://imgur.com/a/7fhFv

How do I close this? Am I suppose to use another patch mesh somehow? A brush? I am not sure how I am suppose to deal with sitations like this :/ Any Doom 3 mappers out there who can help me out?

There's a few things you could try.

While the patch mesh is selected, you should be able to select from the pulldown menu of patchmeshs and select "endcap". At least that's how I've always done it. As Shaviro mentioned, you may have to invert the patchmesh, eg. matrix invert. 

As you noticed there is a thicken selection also, that works and sometimes that's the only way.

Although if the same thing can be constructed with a brush, say if you created a brush and then selected "brushes" and changed it to a 6 or maybe a 9 sided brush, then you have enough vertices to move around via edge or vertex mode.