Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgtcrispy

Virus Emails

Lately i've been getting emails from fellow Doomers containing viruses!! Now, im quite sure that the real people haven't been sending these, but I'm curious if any of you had been getting this recently or not.

Any ideas on whos doing this, if its a doomer or some other jackass.

Danke

Probably just a worm that goes through contact lists. BTW, if you don't have a contact list, that helps stop the spread (not in the end however)

sgtcrispy said:

Lately i've been getting emails from fellow Doomers containing viruses!!

You can often find out the real source by looking carefully at the e-mail's header. At the top you will see a line starting "Sender:". Then there will be several lines of technical gunk, followed by "Date:", "Message-ID:" and finally the "From:" line. Your e-mail software may well claim that the name in the "From:" line is the sender, whereas (I think!) the "Sender:" line gives the real source (i.e. the person whose computer is infected).

Your software might "protect" you from seeing all the technical gunk, but there may well be some way of getting it displayed ("Show e-mail header", or some such thing).

I'm sure there are people in these forums who know much more about this stuff than I do though. Perhaps there are viruses now that can fake the "Sender" address too.

As for how to avoid getting these e-mail worms sent to you in the first place, short of never giving out your e-mail address, I'm afraid don't have any bright ideas!

And no, while I get way too many junk/infected e-mails, none from Doomers' addresses that I can recall.

hmph, the only one I got was about a virus called "jdbgmgr.exe"..appeantly, its a virus that cannot be seen by any anti-virus program. ...The E-mail I got said this...

Dear All,

A virus has infected a friend’s address book and it was passed on to my computer. My address book, in turn, has been infected. The Virus called (jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti-virus systems. The virus sits dormant for 14 days before damaging the system. It's sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent

E-mails to your contacts. Here is how to check for the virus and get rid of it.

1. Go to Start; click on Find or Search option.

2. In the Files/Folders option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe

3. Be sure you search your C: drive and any other drives you might have.

4. Click "Find now"

5. The virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdgbmgr.exe. DO NOT OPEN IT.

6. Go to edit; choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it.

7. Now go to file and select "delete". It will then go to the recycle bin.

8. Go to the recycle bin and delete from there as well.

IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS YOU MUST GO TO ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK AND CONTACT THEM, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS. SORRY ABOUT THIS! I'M SURE THAT AS I FOUND IT EVERYONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK WILL HAVE IT AS WELL.

...not caring I just did it (obviously I dont give a care cuz my puter is messed up anyways, so, How worse could it get?), I serched for it, found it (and it was the teddy bear) and I just deleted it. If it was a virus or not, meh, even tho, I can restore it if I wanted to (hehe good ol' anti-virus program) Besides, my puter is Fubar and I dont think that it can Possibly get any worse so, I just did it for a laugh, that and it was taking up 16kb of my valuable space!!..or was is 16mb??...Meh

It's the do-it-yourself computer virus! Just follow these easy steps:

• Read the virus e-mail
  • Forward it to everyone you know
  • Wipe your HD

DOOM Anomaly said:

... "jdbgmgr.exe" ... I serched for it, found it (and it was the teddy bear) and I just deleted it. If it was a virus or not, meh, even tho, ...

No, this was not a virus; it is a well-known hoax. You deleted a perfectly innocent program (Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java) which was meant to be there and that you may or may not need to use at some point in the future. Be careful: next time, the "removal" instructions might involve scrambling your registry, or something.

When receiving any such notification, I'd advise you check with a reputation anti-virus site (http://www.mcafee.com, for instance). This particular hoax is described here: http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99436

yes I was well aware of it at the time, being because, I have seen that program before, but, it was taken up space, and I didnt use it, so I gave it the Ol' Das boot :D...But I didnt fwd the message btw...

Grazza said:

No, this was not a virus; it is a well-known hoax. You deleted a perfectly innocent program (Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java) which was meant to be there and that you may or may not need to use at some point in the future. Be careful: next time, the "removal" instructions might involve scrambling your registry, or something.

Would you trust a program from Microsoft - anyone else for that matter - with a teddy bear icon? If it was important Windows would have told me about it. As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't have been there and was terminated.

maybe it's king reol idiot.....nah, i bet not, but he's still a moron.

Yeh, when is your next radio show due out? There was like a huge flux of 'em (not just you) for like a week and a half, then everybody seemed to get bored...

Would you trust a program from Microsoft - anyone else for that matter - with a teddy bear icon? If it was important Windows would have told me about it. As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't have been there and was terminated.

In my time with Freeserve Internet I spent a lot of time working with customers who buggered their own operating systems up. The teddy bear icon is apparently either a) done for fun or b) relevant to the program. IT IS NOT A VIRUS. I've got 10 million important files on my computer that Windows hides, and if I deleted them all because they were hidden and/or didn't seem to do anything, I would be in trouble. It's like the human brain - we only 20% of our total brain capacity, but if we removed the other 80% to make our heads lighter (or something), we'd all become like Geri Halliwell.

It's probably that loser DemonSlayerGuy.

Cut off his fingers.

this is the klez virus and its buddies. most of the time when it infects it sends itself out automaticaly. here are some clues:
emials with attachments
emails saying"cool game" or "great program" as well as other spamish phrases.
if u see a brief download screen(system has just been infected)
thumb nail views are blurry( when looking at files in exploer)
you start getting vxd/dll errors at boot.

dont count on norton or many commerical virus scan programs, they dont work. many freeware ones however do work and even are very good at preventing and protecting a system. i use AVG because it seems to work well with worms and new viruses