• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity now uses SDL2. Now in master!

It's just EE but SDL2.

Beta 1 changes that I can remember:

• It's SDL2 now, which is nice.
  • The "unicodeinput" config variable is gone. All text input is UTF-8.
  • A new console variable "displaynum" exists, and lets you set what display the window is created on when you run Eternity.
  • A new console command "maxdisplaynum" has been added, that tells you the largest number that displaynum is allowed to be.
  • Apparently this fixes some mouse bug under the most recent major Windows 10 update?
  • -directx and -gdi are no longer a thing, as the "directx" and "windib" displays drivers are gone, and in their place is just "windows".

Beta 2 Changes:

• 8in32 and software bitdepth are gone.
  • Version name has been updated.
  • SLD 2.0.7 and mixer 2.0.2 are now being used.

Beta 3 Changes:

• Horizontal mouse scrolling is no longer erroneously read as scrolling up.
  • True fullscreen is now default.
  • Desktop fullscreen is now a geom flag, "d" for "desktop" (requires "f" as well).
  • displaynum can now be easily modified from the menu. It even wraps around if you go left or right all the way!
  • Under Windows, the "winmm" audio driver is used now, instead of "directaudio".

Changes before merge to master

• Added fullscreen toggle
  • Fixed chat not working in netgames

ProTip: If you use the ETERNITYUSER environment variable, I'd back up your contents of that before getting this, as it'll mess with a few settings.

All you need is Windows (XP sp 3+?) something to extract the 7z and the Visual C++ 2015 (update 3) runtime installed and you're good to go.

Beta 1

Beta 2

Beta 3

Please please please report any and all bugs you find in here or on GitHub.

Edited by Altazimuth

I can confirm that Beta2 works well on Windows 10 Pro with Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 and Realtek HD Audio version 6.0.1.6662.

With Doom2.wad.

Though I'm guessing full screen is disabled on purpose? 

29 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Though I'm guessing full screen is disabled on purpose? 

What do you mean by this? I'm able to enable fullscreen either by manually editing the geom string, or setting "Favorite Screen Mode" to "Fullscreen", then doing "Choose a mode..."

Are you referring to the kinda "fake" fullscreen? I can change that if people want it changed. The fake fullscreen is documented here under SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP: https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_WindowFlags

Edited by Altazimuth

Fullscreen desktop works perfectly for me… And I prefer it, because the non-desktop setting messes up my windows.

2 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

Are you referring to the kinda "fake" fullscreen? I can change that if people want it changed. The fake fullscreen is documented here under SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP: https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_WindowFlags

Make it a geom flag, as the original can still have hardware specific purposes.

Edited by Edward850

10 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

What do you mean by this? I'm able to enable fullscreen either by manually editing the geom string, or setting "Favorite Screen Mode" to "Fullscreen", then doing "Choose a mode..."

Ah I see, actually I expected a fullscreen render when hitting alt+enter, but nothing happened. I then tried double clicking the window top bar, (which is a auto-maximize in newer versions of windows), but nothing happened there either. Then tried the in game menu option pressing enter to enable fullscreen but nothing happened there as well.

I suspect this might be a bug?

The typical way is to alt+enter in Windows versions, to go from windowed to fullscreen and back.

This should actually work on all makes of Windows however, I have not tried beta2 in other versions of windows. 

Does it work if you go to the menu, video settings and in the resolution setting you write the desired resolution succeeded by f? E.g. if your resolution is 1920x1080, you write there 1920x1080f

You make a good point about alt+enter being an expected shortcut.

2 minutes ago, printz said:

Does it work if you go to the menu, video settings and in the resolution setting you write the desired resolution succeeded by f? E.g. if your resolution is 1920x1080, you write there 1920x1080f

Yes!

That worked and apparently it saved it to config as I ran it again and it stayed that way.

I'm on a 32in monitor so my native res is 1366x768 if that helps.

Thanks

Has anyone tested out a net game since the move over to SDL2?

Curious as to how well it plays over the net and whether the Doom Connector devs might like to add support for Eternity.  

Not yet. I need to, because the text input handling is something I gotta check.

EDIT: Well it's in master now. I did test text input handling.

Edited by Altazimuth