Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mcreep16

GZDoom runs horribly on my PC

Not sure if this belongs here, but here goes.

Around 3 days ago, I opened GZDoom after updating to 3.2.1. However, instead of running at the normal 300-400 fps, it now runs at >20. At first I thought it was just the new update, but BD Starter Pack (which also worked fine for months) debatably runs even worse. 

The weird thing about this is that I can play fully 3D 2010s games just as well as before.

Specs:

Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 cores, 8 Logical Processors

GTX960m

8GB RAM

Any help is appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Mcreep16 said:

The weird thing about this is that I can play fully 3D 2010s games just as well as before.

This statement holds no relevance. Granted yes, it sounds like something has gone wrong which you should report on their forums, Doom is not automatically comparable to other 3D engines (especially with hardware renderers), and GZDoom even less so with its changes such as 64bit floating precision and dual VMs.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This statement holds no relevance. Granted yes, it sounds like something has gone wrong which you should report on their forums, Doom is not automatically comparable to other 3D engines (especially with hardware renderers), and GZDoom even less so with its changes such as 64bit floating precision and dual VMs.

I have no idea what you have been smoking but that statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Neither of the VMs runs any significant amount of time and what on Earth makes you think that 64 bit floating point precision is slow?

That said, the hardware as mentioned should pose no problem for GZDoom, but like Da Werecat asked, from what version did you upgrade?

Also, if you run your old version, does it still run fast? If so, have you tested intermediate versions as well?

17 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I have no idea what you have been smoking but that statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Neither of the VMs runs any significant amount of time and what on Earth makes you think that 64 bit floating point precision is slow?

I never said it was. Are you projecting something, or...?

No, you did by singling out these points for GZDoom being 'special'.

About the issue, there's one thing to check. I have seen a small number of reports where the fullscreen antialiasing was suddenly set to 32 after an update from a significant older version. That would explain the severe loss of performance.

Your CPU has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU. Make sure that when running gzdoom.exe your video display uses the nVidia card.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

About the issue, there's one thing to check. I have seen a small number of reports where the fullscreen antialiasing was suddenly set to 32 after an update from a significant older version. That would explain the severe loss of performance.

Okay. So I have good news and (what you could consider) bad news:

• The fix worked and it runs as well as it ever did when not in fullscreen.
  • Both the problem and the fix exist for the previous version (2.1.1. I know its a big leap, what can I say?) as well. This is very strange, and probably means that the cause (fullscreen) is as you described, but the reason (different versions) is not.

While I'm happy atm, I'm still curious as to whats was causing it.

45 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

What setting do you have under Display options -> OpenGL options -> Multisample?

Off