Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

World Orifice

44 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

It has 20262 monsters

Wow, this isn't a typo. Even more if you TNTEM.

45 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

it'll be uploaded to idgames if no issues pop up

Why not save it for slaughtermax? It can keep @antares031's 20k map company :).

19 minutes ago, RjY said:

Why not save it for slaughtermax? It can keep @antares031's 20k map company :).

I did think about it, but I wouldn't be able to max it before the deadline (probably not even before 2019), and I didn't want to suggest that someone else should do it. :D

Just now, A7MAD said:

Its... Beautiful

Thanks ;)

Is this the doom equivalent of being at a restaurant and attempting the "Finish a 72oz steak in 4 hours and your meal's free" challenge? I got up to the caco/bfg phase (~45mins in) and I mentally checked out, not sure I have the fortitude to see what the prize is for getting all the way through this -.-. Someone post a demo maybe so I can watch it at 100x speed or something :DD

On 10/29/2017 at 6:00 PM, Benjogami said:

I was recently inspired by Nostril Caverns, so I made a map and it's called World Orifice. This is the first release candidate, and it'll be uploaded to idgames if no issues pop up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s8prxepbyltxfk/orifice_rc1.wad?dl=1

doom05.png.7bec600e51fc0880172c9d797c1b4d12.png

IWAD: doom2.wad

Compatibility: Boom

Tested with: PrBoom+ complevel 9

May not run with: GZDoom or ZDoom due to performance and gameplay differences

Difficulty settings: Same monsters, but there are extra resources on lower difficulties

It has 20262 monsters. After debugging and some incomplete playthroughs, I played through it with saves over the course of a few days, and my in-game time ended up being over 4 hours, to give you an idea of the sort of ordeal that it is. There's an alternate version in the MAP31 slot if you're thirsty for more. I tested to make sure that MAP31 works, but not that it's fun or reasonable. Midi is by me.

I will have to try the level out sometime. My largest slaughter levels take ~6 hours to beat (enemy count ranges from 10K-25K). Most of them are ~15K.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

Thing 18973 is jumpy (i.e. too close to a moving sector)

zdW0O9s.gif

Also the EXITSIGN column looks truly bizarre at certain scales/distances :).

S5mM8W5.gif

I take it back .. I really thought it wouldn't be that bad for a  max, but its worse that I expected ...

Well hey! That's a pretty good wad you got there , should I try it ?

doom56.png.5dd62526c5fc45d4cf9e58f4a91789fc.png

Hey ! That doesn't look that bad 

doom44.png.db8e68a053a76b8dd884b7978d7f645a.png

Ok... that does seem a bit intimidating , but I will give it a pass

doom33.png.c32614798e8f433d0fb7c892f6c55b14.png

Yaaa, I will just stick with holy hell at the moment , cuz circling around 20 minutes is a seemingly bad option, especially when over 2 and a half hours has passed . 

Edited by A7MAD

56 minutes ago, A7MAD said:

Yaaa, I will just stick with holy hell at the moment , cuz circling around 20 minutes is a seemingly bad option

And you don't circle around for 20 mins in holyhell?

2 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

And you don't circle around for 20 mins in holyhell?

That 20 minutes is spread out over several areas in multiple, smaller sessions ;))

Link to RC3 is up. Just MAP31 changes. I forgot add back the extra ammo, and while I was in there I made some additional changes that hopefully improve it. But who knows!

I've run through map01 a few more times with various cheat codes and dehacked patches, and have a few more opinions and suggestions:

• Make the popup berserk box a secret area. You have to have one secret, don't you, even in a map like this.
  • Place a shotgun and chaingun at the start, both to avoid unfortunately timed forced weapon switches later, and also if the user is playing with a patch that makes the weaker weapons more useful in high population maps.
  • Place a plasma gun, say with the BFG, for the same reason; the vanilla plasma gun may be largely useless on this map, but it can be improved with patches, in which case you would like it to be available.
  • Tend to agree the number of cyberdemons toward the end becomes tedious to grind through (or use dehacked to turn on monster infighting).

• Running all the way back round to the start of each circle when the archviles teleport is tedious, but leaving them alive until you reach the centre and the walls lower seems suicidal (there are already enough new archviles released at that point). Or more likely I'm just bad and there's a strategy.

• That one poor SS in amongst the final crowd of shotgunners :).

Finally, more jumpy things. On one of my journeys I noticed two boxes of rockets and a mancubus jumping up as an adjacent wall began to move. At this point it seemed likely there were still more yet undiscovered and looking for them while running the map was never going to catch them all. So I put a line into PIT_ChangeSector to print mobjs that moved more than a certain vertical distance. Here is the resulting list sorted by thing number. I haven't been through them all so some might be false positives.

dist  index  type
255   214    70    SBOX
168   1148   66    BROK
192   1923   66    BROK
192   1925   66    BROK
168   2309   8     FATT
175   9503   20    BSPI
175   9504   20    BSPI
175   9662   20    BSPI
168   25422  12    SARG
191   25585  12    SARG
168   25823  12    SARG
191   26425  8     FATT
168   26518  21    CYBR
168   26615  21    CYBR
168   26616  21    CYBR
168   26617  21    CYBR
168   26618  21    CYBR
191   26655  21    CYBR
191   26911  68    CELP
191   27267  68    CELP

Sector 811 / tag 222 was a great time-saver, saved me having to run through the whole map myself.

11 hours ago, RjY said:

I've run through map01 a few more times with various cheat codes and dehacked patches, and have a few more opinions and suggestions:

[...]

Wow, thanks!

All of those jumpy things listed did appear to be legit cases, so I moved them all slightly in MAP01 and MAP31. As for the other suggestions, I understand what you mean, but I think I'm going to leave it all unchanged. The map isn't designed to be tedious and incovenient and dull, but it is designed to be indifferent to all that stuff if that stuff occurs within its predestined structure. ;)   Although I did nerf the PEs.... perhaps too much...

I'm gonna sit on RC4 for a bit in case any more issues come up. I'm in the middle of another playthrough... haven't found enough time to finish it. :D

My reaction upon opening this map in an editor to have a look around was similar to this:

Spoiler

This is a tough nut to crack, not only by virtue of size, though. ;-)

If you do have the strategies in place, I would like to learn how to go about killing off the teleporting arch-viles because my concern is that I would be spending lots of time going back for more cell charge packs and eventually those run out. I am referring to level 31, not level 1.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

"Doomguy gazed into the Boogery Green Cavern, and the Boogery Green Cavern gazed back. Very Boogerishly, as was it's prerogative, being a Boogery Green Cavern and whatnot. I mean, what else is a Boogery Green Cavern to do?"

10/10, would most certainly Boogery Green Cavern again

Also, has anyone managed to beat map 02? I can't seem to figure it out.

Screenshot_Doom_20171110_103024.png

10 minutes ago, Octavarium said:

"Doomguy gazed into the Boogery Green Cavern, and the Boogery Green Cavern gazed back. Very Boogerishly, as was it's prerogative, being a Boogery Green Cavern and whatnot. I mean, what else is a Boogery Green Cavern to do?"

Level 2 is just an empty room.

3 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

If you do have the strategies in place, I would like to learn how to go about killing off the teleporting arch-viles because my concern is that I would be spending lots of time going back for more cell charge packs and eventually those run out. I am referring to level 31, not level 1.

I haven't actually finished testing map 31. I tripled all of the cell ammo outside of the cyber ring, which I thought would surely be enough, but I suppose there could still be a couple sections where you'll need to backtrack for ammo a lot. Or run out entirely. I guess I'll have to find out.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, Octavarium said:

How did you go about surviving the last fight in level 1?

8 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

How did you go about surviving the last fight in level 1?

Just save a lot and run around and kill shit. It eventually worked

1 hour ago, Octavarium said:

Just save a lot and run around and kill shit. It eventually worked

I tested the level and it appears that if I were to beat the level, the playtime would be roundabout 13-14 hours. I would have to use the speed tool that Boom has to save myself time when it comes to backtracking for more ammunition.