Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kulma

mirroring a level

so, i'm making a ctf level, and i'd like to make both bases and the surroundings identical in shape, and then just change the textures and stuff. so i made the red half of the map in zeth, thought that if i just select all of the sectors and press (C)opy, moved the new copy around a bit, rotate the lot 180, merge a couple of vertices and i'm off to texturing. but no boner there. i tried copying with linedefs and vertices also but no hope. all i got was one sector overlapping another, which i didn't notice until later, when some textures looked funky. so do i have to do the other half also by hand, or does someone have something to tell me i should know. thanks.

got any suggestions which one? there is quite a bunch out there, i'd like not to waste an awful lot of time rummaging through 5 editors to only notice none of them work. and the wad is done in zeth so even deth won't open it without crashing. and i'm not interested in anything which i'll have to pay for. rather do it by hand. :/

I think recently someone uploaded a little app for doing just that to the Archive... flipping a map in that way. Do a search for mood at doomsearch.com.

oh yeah that's the program. gotta mirror doom2.wad and try it out :). too bad zeth crashed when i tried to open the mirrored level. you can merge two wads as one with zeth, but what about merging two maps into one? well anyways, deepsea said "mirroring" on it's website so i'm nabbing it right now. i just hope my wad's not too big for it, and that it opens up in deepsea. it doesn't say what is the size-limit anywhere, i think. well i'll propably find out about that right now. thanks yall.

ok deepsea opened the wad ok (although with a march of warnings and stuff) and after mirroring it zeth opened it right up. woo. props to you who said to try another editor :)
what actually is this deepsea's sizelimit? # of sectors or what? it looked nice and jiffy and all. i might even start using it, so i don't have to lurch in prompt.

gosh i'm really going solo someone close this thread :D
well anyhoo, zeth actually did copy stuff correctly, and i got it mirrored in zeth alone, a classic case of problem between seat and keyboard. i hit the deepsea limit of 800 lines and 1200 sides (both), so i couldn't save the mirrored map. actually it's not mirrored but blahblahblah enjoyable niteycycles.

I have registered DeePsea, so there's no limits. Just select the whole thing and move off to one side and hit control+m. Or you could actually do the < > keys to do free rotate. If you have the grid on (and the part you're rotating is fairly grid-true), you can do it that way. I use the free rotate/resize sometimes. I have a problem with making levels too small, so sometimes I resize them a little. =/

If you still have that problem with it not letting the file save, you could mail it to me and I could do it and mail it back, then you could do the rest in whatever other editor you normally use.

thanks for the offer but see the post above yours, i got it right in zeth :) and yes, i didn't mirror the level, i copied it and rotated 180. makes why wonder i asked about mirroring in the first place, well evil will reign becouse good is dumb. if you want to check out what i've done with it so far, check out http://gamma.nic.fi/~kulma/t.wad feedback appreciated.

Neat level. The usage of the blue stone fits pretty well.
The stairs might look better if you alligned the walls so that they're smooth instead of jagged like the stairs are. And the teleporters in the pits might be better as trampolines. At least, in my opinion. =) Good work though, it looks neat. Might consider working on the overusage of brown. And that box in the rocket launcher room has the same floor texture as the ground does. You should make it CRATOP2.

well the brown is there 'cos that's the texture zeth uses as default, by default. and the stairs are jagged until i get my lazy ass to fix them. but that trampoline idea was great! i'll try that one out. how did you like the layout? it's still a bit empty and all... i was hoping to get it finished this weekend but i'm struggling with the scripting part, i've never done it before, and some (parts) of the tutorials and examples i've found have been more misguiding than helpful. well i'll get there.

The layout was pretty good. The original teleporters don't work, by the way.
You should make more things so the level doesn't look as flat. Like, more crates or varying heights in ceiling and floors for random things. Like doors. I like to make doorways shorter than the room is, so if the room is 128 high, I use a door that's 72 or 64 high just so I can have a lowered ceiling. I also like making architectural stuff so it looks less flat.
Yeah, scripting is sort of bothersome. I usually just make vanilla levels so I can throw in as many interesting vanilla things as possible. Someday, I may actually release a ZDoom or Legacy level or something, but I'd have to make myself add a whole lot of extra effects to make it worthwhile. People hate it when it requires ZDoom, but for no reason except for a couple features that could have been excluded (IE: particle fountains). I try to make people think "and she did that with no special port effects?" Maybe I will one day. ^_^
Oh. And you did a pretty good job on texture allignment, except for in a couple places. If you want it to look extremely good, you probably ought to touch up every texture misallignment you have (including those stairs). Hold on, I have a shot of the infected area...

kulma said:

i didn't mirror the level, i copied it and rotated 180.

That is called mirroring. As Nanami noted, use Ctrl+M in DeePsea. In DeePsea - rotation is context sensitive, meaning it depends on where you put the cursor. If to the left of the original, it makes a "mirror" going in that plane, if on top, it mirrors from the top and so forth. The biggest problem with Zeth (and others) in copies is they don't do tags and such correctly.