Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Osiris

Yeah, I guess that reads like it was drawn up by a committee. Let me try again and this time with way less humor.

ZDoom would be disqualified outright if Ironman was more interested in being a serious competition than a fun way for people to try their hand at playing old sets with a new perspective. There are far too many kinks in the doppelganger suit for it to stand on anything like a level playing field. But to pretend for a moment that you're actually serious about wanting to use armboom+ and are not just trying to use an hilarious port to expose the competition for a lack of integrity that it doesn't actually need because that's not what it is, the reason that there are exceptions despite the leniency is because it's a derivative port that no one uses, I don't have to depend on it for a large number of participants to remain interested, and you could just use prboom+ instead.

An earnest competition with preparation might be a fun idea, though, sure. Doubling up with the current setup wouldn't be, because it'd be impossible to prevent unrest between parties of interest. Probably 80% of the people who take part in this do it because it's fun, not because they want to win...

...although I hope to God that Dime continues his downward spiral. Holy shit, Canada, what happened?

When already skilled players are openly admitting to preparing their runs, I personally see zero reason to treat this like serious competition. That said, Alfonzo can I use EFDoom next month? It's a fork of QZ where you only take 90% damage and there aren't any archviles 8-)

On 1 September 2017 at 4:07 AM, Alfonzo said:
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt offline. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

It's not a serious competition, but we do have serious rules when we feel like it.

"Selling books is a game. It has rules. You need to learn those rules, and you need to get serious about them, because it's not a game."

Even if hours were spent each week verifying submissions adherence to the rules, there's still the impossibility of detecting cheating. I think we all just shake hands in DWIronman and say, "let's just have fun with the wad of the month".

Reads like lawyer speak, yes, but that's because some element of seriousness is required to have fun with anything, anyway. And because I'm a stickler for dress-up! It walks like a competition and quacks like a competition and is in fact called a competition in the header, but it's really just a place to shoot the shit and only take it seriously in the moment.

EDIT: Here's some further reading on the topic. As far as I know, it's the one time we've had an extensive conversation about the spirit of the league.

Edited by Alfonzo

20 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

@Alfonzo can I take part in Ironman if I use a fork of prboom-plus that extends the reach of the fist?

Apologies but I don't get what this is about. Could you clarify your position? What exactly are you arguing for/against here? I mean your proposal must be joking, perhaps an exaggeration made to make a point -- I don't see how the proposal could reasonably be approved. So it's likely you're arguing indirectly by sarcasm or hyperbole, but for or against what?

Edit: Oh, zdoom physics, box intercepts and blockmap span fixes

Edited by RjY : Slow-wittedness

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

It's not a serious competition, but we do have serious rules when we feel like it.

Lines have to get drawn somewhere. It's more like a quasi-serious competition that aims to be as serious as possible without being detrimentally stringent. I sympathize with Alfonzo on what he has to arbitrate, as it's never easy finding smooth justification for allowing folks to use a port like Zdoom but disallowing others to use minor fixes/enhancements, without having it seem slightly hypocritical. To his defense, punching in Zdoom on the -cl2 compat setting also blows, so everyone should suffer the same level of melee jank.

Resurrecting thread. After the exciting final day of Osiris Ironman I thought it would be fun to compare the three winners directly.

zdGuGEU.png

The vertical axis of the graph attempts to measure completion. levelcount is obviously the number of maps the player has exited; I again used sectorcount (number of unique sectors visited) to measure intra-map progression. This is now calculated in exactly the same way as secretcount (in particular a sector is not marked visited unless you touch the floor) but for all sectors, not just those of type 9. sectorcount only approaches numsectors on the most trivial of maps, hence the vertical lines up to the start of the next map when levelcount is incremented. Nevertheless the length of that line means something; the shorter it is the more of the map the player explored, instead of taking a more direct route to the exit. Obviously the horizontal distance between the vertical lines measures time spent on the map. Steepness of each gradient gives an impression of how quickly the player was covering ground.

Observations:

• Bloodite Krypto overtook eventual winner Demon of the Well on map02, and remained slightly ahead, even opening up a small gap by the end of map04, but had a disastrous map05 where he fell behind and was almost caught up by Veinen. He also appeared to slack off at the final map, spending by far the most time, and covering the most ground of the three.
  • Veinen started off very slowly and remained considerably behind the other two right up until a very quick map05 saw him almost catch up to Bloodite Krypto. They then fought for position over map06-07, but a very fast map08 gave Veinen second place comfortably.
  • Demon of the Well started very quickly but lost a lot of ground on map02, allowing Bloodite Krypto to overtake him. They remained thus, Bloodite Krypto slightly ahead, until map05 where their positions reversed and Demon of the Well opened up a considerable lead; a lead which only further increased on map06. With everyone having a roughly similar map07, Veinen's quick map08 was not enough to catch up with Demon of the Well who was already too far out in front.

Tagging @Bloodite Krypto @Veinen @Demon of the Well

Also tagging @NaZa because I know you love this shit :). (also this was the sidetrack I mentioned the other day)

source data + gnuplot script

Edited by RjY