Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Legendary FPS in gaming history

I was watching a bit about Star Wars in the 66th order scene, and then I began to ask '' Hey, what will be the most legendary FPS in the industry? '' And I decided to create this simple topic. (It's hard for me to concentrate, I know).

It is clear that the history of video games is full of incredible jewels worldwide, however, they are all subject to different concepts and genres, which is a simply fascinating diversity that makes it impossible to simply think of '' Is there such thing as the best videogame of history? " Such a concept seems irrational since it implies that the rest of the games enter into an" inferior "state. Since the range of options and different gameplay goes into many more branches that are also diversified in our own tastes, per se, it is something difficult to achieve. So now with my own criteria I have selected one of the most famous genres of the industry, the FPS, and I share with you my humble opinion of which are the most legendary games within this genre. There is no particular order, simply everyone enters a family of '' Legends ''. I also would like to hear about your opions a lot, hence, share it in the comments, Im not that really good with english or even write, but I enjoy making these lists and I enjoy reading them too.

- Counter Strike 1.6

What did you expect? This game may not be so well received in its current days, but the first time it came out, was considered something incredible in a genre that was perfecting over time, the multiplayer. A mod that abruptly and brilliantly entered the world of gamers, with 96% positive feedback on Steam despite all the years that have passed, the game is still remembered as a gem of the MP.

- Unreal Tournament

I will try to make these opinions fast and without much emotion, to the fast and direct. But here I apologize, BUT I LOVE THIS GAME. It's fucking amazing, fun, exciting, entertaining, fantastic and beautiful visually (I still love the graphics of the late 90's) With a revolutionary graphic engine that has forged great modern games, its level of amazingness surpassed 9000, to such an extent that in its moment was called a '' Quake Killer '. My wet dreams lie with UT.

- Quake 

I have to admit that I have never been a big Quake fan, but I certainly accept and love the creation of this game for the simple fact that they created the Esports. A game with excellent singleplayer and a super addictive multiplayer, in part, it could be said that all the great multiplayer tournaments in the world are here thanks to Quake.

- F.E.A.R

One of my first horror games, and also, one of my first addictions, when I started playing FEAR was a rather small child who was immersed in the world of PC gaming, all this from first person shooter games was something new for me, and I put FEAR on this list because it occupies a place in my heart, and also because of its AI. Has anyone tried the game? Fighting against enemies? Well, they will realize what I'm talking about.

- Half-Life

Of course this game will be here, an excellent game in every way, combines an almost perfect campaign with a very entertaining multiplayer, but the real reason I put this here is that the moment it came out, the world was simply taken by the storm. So much detail, so much history, immersion, gameplay, visuals, sounds, engine, AI, this game had perfected each of those aspects, by God, even the cockroaches of the game have advanced AI!

- Metro Last Light

There are few cases of books adapted to games, and even more cases in which they do it brilliantly. Metro 2033 is the case, but there's something else, it's even weirder when a sequel beats the original, Metro Last Light is the perfect example of this. I put it here because of the simple fact that, I have never seen such a beautiful and immersive game, I will go a little to the mainstream side and say, the graphics of this game are spectacular. Actually I was deciding between Metro and Crysis, Crysis is another great revolutionary game, but I only finish it once, instead MLL, I have already finished it 3 times. The crown in terms of atmosphere belongs to this game, at least I have not played anything superior.

I created this post to read comments, so I will leave the list with the last, I do not want to do something super big and then, it is obvious who is the last one.

DOOM

A masterpiece of video games, and one of the most recognized and praised at a general level, a jewel of entertainment and also, of technology. I will not say anything else that you do not know anymore, but Doom is the diamond of the FPS.

Tell me, what do you consider legendary FPS? Games as revolting as super entertaining. I put some of my favorites and honestly I started thinking, in these times, it's great to remember that the biggest ones tend to be the oldest. Thank your for reading btw.

idle.gif

I concur with most of the above, but I also would add Wolfenstein 3D to the list, even if just for the fact that it set the bar for the FPS standard. But anyway, who doesn't want to shoot up Nazis in old castles?!

1 minute ago, Wiw said:

I concur with most of the above, but I also would add Wolfenstein 3D to the list, even if just for the fact that it set the bar for the FPS standard. But anyway, who doesn't want to shoot up Nazis in old castles?!

Yes, there is pretty much at least 10 more FPS that I would like to add, but that's not the main purpose of this topic, the main purpose is to just comment and have some ''internet fun''.

What is that GIF of? It looks like Xan from UT but red and with more... stuff.

Also, I really gotta install UT99 again. I fucking love that game.

36 minutes ago, Nevander said:

What is that GIF of? It looks like Xan from UT but red and with more... stuff.

Also, I really gotta install UT99 again. I fucking love that game.

And there are still some active servers! Yes, like 5... but At least the exp can be tested again.

Halo, for basically taking multiplayer FPS to the "mainstream", opening the door for Call of Duty/Battlefield/etc

2 minutes ago, Ralphis said:

Halo, for basically taking multiplayer FPS to the "mainstream", opening the door for Call of Duty/Battlefield/etc

And also a big step for consoles ! 

The Timmeslpitters franchise for:
1.Be awesome

2.Have great multiplayer

3.Be amazing for early 2000s console fps standarts and great for modern ones

4.Have so many different themes that no one with a particular preference can be left out 

The history of the Legendary FPS is that it was developed by Spark Unlimited, published by Gamecock, and released in the end of 2008 for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

1 minute ago, wheresthebeef said:

The history of the Legendary FPS is that it was developed by Spark Unlimited, published by Gamecock, and released in the end of 2008 for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

''Developed?'' I couldnt finish the game because of lots of bugs. Haha but I get the joke.

2 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

SiN was a great FPS game.

And a really underrated game too! Tho, its sequel wasnt that nice.

17 hours ago, Ajora said:

Duke Nukem 3D is up there with the best of 'em. 

I'm 100% in agreement there. There were so many wonderful new ideas introduced (not the least of which was Duke's one-liners), as well as many "real life" environments.

3 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Blood is Bloody underrated and deserves to be among the legendary FPS titles.

I'm 100% in agreement there. The moody atmosphere, alone, was worth the price of admission.

I'll also add HeXen, which (sort of) introduced a role-playing element into an FPS game. This, along with the hub system, really added to the replay value of the game.

In general, the early FPS games laid the groundwork for many of the award-winning FPS games that followed.

Argue if you want, but CoD4 and MW2 were a staple in modern FPS games. Overwatch blew up the MOBA FPS genre, and H1Z1/PUBG blew up Battle Royale. 

32 minutes ago, stru said:

Argue if you want, but CoD4 and MW2 were a staple in modern FPS games. Overwatch blew up the MOBA FPS genre, and H1Z1/PUBG blew up Battle Royale. 

Not gonna argue with CoD, MW and Overwatch. But I really dont like the kind of praise that H1Z1 and PUBG get, they are fun games, but are not even fully finished. PUBG is really unbalanced and hell, one of the worst optimizations I had seen. Yes, is an Early Access game, but, they already had sell 19 million copies! How can they not make the game fully 100% finished yet? So, is a nice game, fun, but I dont think it deserves ''Legendary title''. Now, in what you have the reason is that: Yes, they promoted a gender abruptly.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Not gonna argue with CoD, MW and Overwatch. But I really dont like the kind of praise that H1Z1 and PUBG get, they are fun games, but are not even fully finished. PUBG is really unbalanced and hell, one of the worst optimizations I had seen. Yes, is an Early Access game, but, they already had sell 19 million copies! How can they not make the game fully 100% finished yet? So, is a nice game, fun, but I dont think it deserves ''Legendary title''. Now, in what you have the reason is that: Yes, they promoted a gender abruptly.

Yeah I agree, but my point is that it paved the way for games like Escape from Tarkov, Fortnite BR, etc. Fortnite BR is fucking awesome. 

Counter Strike wasn't "finished" when it became one of the most played internet games either and nobody can argue its importance to genre

3 hours ago, stru said:

Argue if you want, but CoD4 and MW2 were a staple in modern FPS games.

They were both incredibly intense games. MW2 in particular had some sequences that had my adrenaline turned up to 11.

Yea CoD gets a lot of shit but really thinking back the earlier ones (before they exploded) like CoD4 and MW2 were actually really good games to be honest. I miss playing CoD4 back when there were no hackers in every single game.

It's going to be Call of Duty, not because they were good (though many of them are) but because of the impact the franchise has had on the FPS genre and gaming as a whole. They're the single best-selling FPS franchise ever, and they don't have a hell of a lot of competition overall (Mario, Pokemon and GTA, mostly.)

When you want to talk about "legendary," the only thing that matters is money. Games and movies don't get popular because nobody buys them.

13 minutes ago, dethtoll said:

It's going to be Call of Duty, not because they were good (though many of them are) but because of the impact the franchise has had on the FPS genre and gaming as a whole. They're the single best-selling FPS franchise ever, and they don't have a hell of a lot of competition overall (Mario, Pokemon and GTA, mostly.)

When you want to talk about "legendary," the only thing that matters is money. Games and movies don't get popular because nobody buys them.

Who would have thought that good games sell? It blows the mind.

9 minutes ago, dethtoll said:

That may be your definition of something legendary, a lot of money, however I still believe perfectly that legends are born with great achievements, not only in the market. For my legendary is any game that manages to implement something revolutionary and surprises us in such a way that even remains stable and playable over the years. Not all CoD can be considered legendary, I would probably add CoD 4 and BF2 as legendary games, since in their arrival, they created critical moments in the history of gaming. And if we talk about movies, I do not think you would qualify the saga of '' Transformers '' as legendary for being one of the most blockbuster sagas.

don't forget Halo, it helped Console Multiplayer by introducing Matchmaking and was also the first game to feature Health Regeneration.
EDIT : oh, Ralphis mentioned that already.

Well not really, I mean your shield does but Halo 1 has health packs. Halo 2 had the regenerating health and shield combo.

12 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Who would have thought that good games sell? It blows the mind.

12 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

That may be your definition of something legendary, a lot of money, however I still believe perfectly that legends are born with great achievements, not only in the market. For my legendary is any game that manages to implement something revolutionary and surprises us in such a way that even remains stable and playable over the years. Not all CoD can be considered legendary, I would probably add CoD 4 and BF2 as legendary games, since in their arrival, they created critical moments in the history of gaming. And if we talk about movies, I do not think you would qualify the saga of '' Transformers '' as legendary for being one of the most blockbuster sagas.

Yeah, I figured someone wouldn't get it.

The only thing that matters in this industry is money, period. Call of Duty will go down forever as the single most legendary FPS franchise because it makes a bunch of money -- that is literally the only criteria that matters, both to publishers and media outlets, who are, I remind you, driven by money. You could make an argument that one entry or another in the franchise is important but none are as important as the franchise in total, an unstoppable juggernaut that has had a massive gravitational effect on gaming as a whole in terms of development, marketing, and culture.

In case you haven't figured it out, I am deeply cynical, and I'm simply applying what I know about this industry (and capitalism as a whole) to my answer to the premise of this thread. I could rattle off ten different games made in the last 10 years alone (remember that CoD4 came out in 2007) that blow every CoD game out of the water in terms of how fun they are to play and what they bring to the medium, but they don't fucking sell like Call of Duty does.

5 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Yeah, I figured someone wouldn't get it.

What's not to get? It goes without saying that to the mainstream, sales numbers are everything. For the purposes of this thread, the legendary status of X game is subjective. Doom is far more legendary to me than any Call of Duty game, as good as some of them are. That's all I was getting at, in my own snarky way. I wasn't trying to be rude or argumentative.