Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reiken

GZDoom Appimage

Any chance of Appimage packagings in the future (at least for stable releases)?  Getting recent versions of GZDoom up and running is always an incredible nightmare on LTS OSes due to the constant c++ standard churn.  I'd try to build a static binary in an arch vm or something, but that probably wouldn't work and I'd have to spend hours figuring out how to retrieve the results from the vm's sandboxing, again.  I'd use the windows binary in wine, but most mods seem to break with inexplicable errors relating to actor scripts (without mods, all seems to work fine.)  Just so damned frustrating to hit this year after year and now I see yet another C++zkjcvclsvndlsk standard coming along which will probably result in impossible builds on whatever my next OS will be.

What OSs are you using? You conveniently left out that crucial bit. Also, when an OS comes with an obsolete C++ compiler you got to replace it, not stick with the old.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr (oldest still-supported LTS) (gcc 4.8.4).  Guess this is my ignorance here, but I figured just going and replacing the system-wide compiler might break system-level stuff (if it's not in the repos, at least..).  Have considered once or twice trying to set up a chroot with a newer compiler, but then figured I'd end up needing to build that and might hose things if I botched setting up the environment.

Edited by Reiken

18 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Have you tried the binary Ubuntu package which is available on the download page?

Ah damn, sorry--didn't know that was a thing, now.  Just gave it a try and it's failing to detect libgomp, though.  Poking around now to see if I can remedy that.

I use Ubuntu (16.04) and I compile GZDooM with Docker. That way I don't have to install third party packages or worry about dependencies messing up with my main system.

6 hours ago, SP_FACE1 said:

I use Ubuntu (16.04) and I compile GZDooM with Docker. That way I don't have to install third party packages or worry about dependencies messing up with my main system.

Will look into that route, thanks.

I'm having this same problem trying to make older versions work on Ubuntu 16.04 for testing purposes. It always falls into "dependency hell" scenario. And downloading massive hundreds of megabytes for compiling older versions seems to me like an incredibly counter-productive way of doing things. Appimages would solve all of these problems and make older versions interchangeable in order to detect problems.

It was tough enough finding the page with Linux builds in the first place, in case anyone need it, it's here: http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiverse/g/gzdoom/

I don't know why these files are not present in the "main" download section of the home page.

In case anyone asks why I'm doing this in the first place, I'm heavy slowdowns on some WADs like Pirate Doom and Winter's Fury, on scenes with complex geometry on sight (turning dynamic lights off don't help, nor using software renderer) The catch is that these problems didn't happen when I used Windows, in this very same hardware.