Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

49 minutes ago, AtroNx said:

Playing around with AA textures, really loving them. :>

That stock bars texture is a little... odd in the first shot, but that might just be me. Damn fine stuff though

7 minutes ago, Octavarium said:

That stock bars texture is a little... odd in the first shot, but that might just be me. Damn fine stuff though

It's mostly there for a purpose, it might kinda look odd, but it's there to prevent the player from falling away.

Spoiler

40msvPPh.png

Doesn't look that bad, though, I could replace it with something different like this.

EmXFOWZh.png

2 hours ago, AtroNx said:

It's mostly there for a purpose, it might kinda look odd, but it's there to prevent the player from falling away.

Hide contents

40msvPPh.png

Not too familiar with the AA texture pack, but doesn't it have some sort of short mid texture equivalent to those other mid textures at the left for this sort of thing?  You did show the use of one of the MIDRAIL textures in a later shot.  I personally think MIDRAIL2 would work good here, but it's really not that big of a deal in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Nice mood in these Hexen shots!

6 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Makes me want to play Hexen again, if only there was more maps!

ty Memfis and cyan0s1s. As it is, I'd say the level is about 95% complete. Doing final checks on textures/lighting and items etc...

It's only one map, but it's on the large side, approx 25-30 mins going quickly. I noticed those shots I posted aren't really representing the overall map, however. The atmosphere is heavily influenced by early fps rpg's like Ultima Underworld and Eye of the Beholder, so most of the map is dark sewer tunnels and stuff lol. 

Spoiler

4NqJsSb.png

7 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Experimenting with 3D trees. Seemed I fleshed out a quick experiment a lot more than planned! :P

Round the edges off the cliff and you'll have jumped forward a generation or two of video games. :P

First level in about 20 years that I was willing to eventually post to DW

Well...

at least the music I made for it was good lol

map.jpg

D2CASTLE.zip

Edited by Lokust Sun : Might as well add the pk3/zip since it probably won't make it here... this was just an entry level for a bigger thing. If I can't get the entry level though...

I'm working on making some coloured torches like in classic Doom. I'll probably add wall versions too, and turn them all into prefabs, so I can place them repeatedly. Currently I don't know how to make real models, so these objects are all made of editor items.

shot00055.png

21 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Got my opening "sky rift" working in both software and GL modes without visual glitches. It can hold over 2k Cacodemons, which I have tested.

I think the map would look better with the hell sky. Otherwise, that looks really good.

21 minutes ago, Empyre said:

I think the map would look better with the hell sky. Otherwise, that looks really good.

Thanks! The reason for using Doom 2's Sky2 is that the map is a large "skin-metal"-type city. The texturing on the buildings makes them blend well with the burning skyline. Plus, I've got the red blood floor covering most of the real-estate, so I'd rather not have a red hell-sky along with it.

04EF8C86CEE8E46FBD47AA03D95609B330EC6879

23 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

For a moment i thought this was Chillax MAP16

Not familiar with that map, but it also looks to be inspired by the aesthetic in Sunder map08.

9 hours ago, Empyre said:

I think the map would look better with the hell sky

It seems to me more suitable for earth, what with the whole "opening a giant dimensional rift full of cacodemons" thing -- hell wouldn't open a portal to itself, it'd just send the cacodemons the normal way, by ordering them to fly there themselves :). Shame there aren't so many burning city on earth sky textures though.

That is amazing.

Are those chainguns placed there by default or what? Surely they'd get crushed under normal circumstances.

(Not that this setup constitutes "normal circumstances" exactly.)

Yeah it's quite a simple effect to be honest, it's a separate sector with two chainguns, and two of the crushed corpse decorations to make it look convincing...though they probably shouldn't be blue :P The "original" chainguns are indeed killed along with the zombies.

UTq7hL1.png

Took me awhile to connect the dots, maybe you should add a dark recess here. +1 for the type of interactivity I would like to see more of in wads.

1qDDuGy.png

14 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Thanks! The reason for using Doom 2's Sky2 is that the map is a large "skin-metal"-type city. The texturing on the buildings makes them blend well with the burning skyline. Plus, I've got the red blood floor covering most of the real-estate, so I'd rather not have a red hell-sky along with it.

Since the ground is blood and the buildings are skin, it made me think it was Hell, but with the wrong sky. A non-red custom Hell sky might work.

5 hours ago, RjY said:

It seems to me more suitable for earth, what with the whole "opening a giant dimensional rift full of cacodemons" thing -- hell wouldn't open a portal to itself, it'd just send the cacodemons the normal way, by ordering them to fly there themselves :). Shame there aren't so many burning city on earth sky textures though.

For the reasons RjY describes, maybe that rift would go better with a more Earth-like city. I am not suggesting throwing away that marvelous skin city, but making two maps, one with the rift from Hell to Earth, and another one with the skin city in Hell. There are ways to have 2 (or more) skies in one map, so the two cities could be combined into one map, but I believe that it would have to be Doom-in Hexen or UDMF to have 2 skies.