Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_Mud

Doom: Lost Alpha

12 hours ago, ukiro said:

🤷

If I make maps on the alpha theme, then I can not add a little gag?

Although they go against the design parameters of DooM Alpha (indeed, even DooM/2), the way Serious_MOod has used them makes the map aesthetics very interesting.

This screenies looks very good but if mapping boring you, you know there's something wrong. Design Doesn't look very vanilla alpha but add some few new things is not for bad

Alpha ZDoom. I like how it looks! I've seen a good handful of alpha inspired projects that all go for the classic feel, but it's nice to see something different with the theme. I dunno if I can help with mapping as I have my own projects to try and work on. Maybe music if you're interested. Good luck!

This looks fantastic! Don't let the Alpha/Bible curse bring you down, 16 maps is achievable. I would offer my services, but currently working Nihility too much rn, plus its been years since I used zdoom for mapmaping. Good Luck!

2 minutes ago, years said:

This looks fantastic! Don't let the Alpha/Bible curse bring you down, 16 maps is achievable. I would offer my services, but currently working Nihility too much rn, plus its been years since I used zdoom for mapmaping. Good Luck!

Heh, it's funny that I'm not the only one who believes in this curse

Looks nice, I always liked the atmosphere/look of the alphas and this seems to be hitting the same notes. Cramped areas make the more open areas stand out, where in the original doom it always felt pretty open most of the time. Are you just updating the existing maps or are you making any from scratch?

2 hours ago, dachauncinator said:

Looks nice, I always liked the atmosphere/look of the alphas and this seems to be hitting the same notes. Cramped areas make the more open areas stand out, where in the original doom it always felt pretty open most of the time. Are you just updating the existing maps or are you making any from scratch?

Something like KDIZD - for the most part its own locations, supplemented by redistributed original locations from alpha

I don't wanna be a downer, but uh...

Good luck.

Even though it's completely feasible to make a game that accurately resembles what Tom was going for, something about that design is cursed, Doomed if you'll pardon the pun. Something about it is just tedious to make, and I haven't seen a single (faithful) attempt succeed. (also, sometimes drama)

Not to mention, the Doom Bible is very sparse, and there's surely a whole lot of unreleased material (old discarded maps, Tom once told me that about 50% of the geometry from the "open world" mapset was recycled in the revised linear alpha mapset, the other 50% was canned) that would present a clearer picture. I suspect a lot of the missing detail was in Tom's head, likely not committed to document form, and probably lost after a quarter century.

If you think you can pull it off, then I applaud you, but consider that it's a very great challenge and that you might enjoy yourself better working on something original if the challenge is too much.

On 06/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, ukiro said:

🤷

I may be mistaken, but early on development wasn't doom suposed to have slopes implemented in the engine though they droped the idea for performance reasons ?

12 hours ago, RedHardGore said:

Me me me me!!! gladly want to collaborate in the creation of the wad :,,,D

What can you do?

Promised demo version. IWAD: DOOM.WAD
In the demo there are 2 levels of the planned 14. It is advisable to run it in the software renderer. The maps have been completed and remade many times and it is possible that to the final version the levels from the demo version can be changed (as usual). For various resources, thanks to Evil Unleashed, Doom Delta, Bobby's Lost Midis and others.

Download

Edited by Serious_MOod

Cool screenshots although I feel like the sloped sectors really defy the intended feeling of being a Doom alpha from early 1993. I would love to work on this if I weren't already working on my own megawad.

Just finished the first map and I gotta be honest. It felt less like I was playing the Doom alpha and more like I was just playing a modern zDoom wad. The maps were just far too detailed and utilized too many modern doom-isms. On their own they certainly aren't bad maps, I just feel like they don't achieve what they set out to do.

Edited by Count651

11 hours ago, Count651 said:

Cool screenshots although I feel like the sloped sectors really defy the intended feeling of being a Doom alpha from early 1993. I would love to work on this if I weren't already working on my own megawad.

Just finished the first map and I gotta be honest. It felt less like I was playing the Doom alpha and more like I was just playing a modern zDoom wad. The maps were just far too detailed and utilized too many modern doom-isms. On their own they certainly aren't bad maps, I just feel like they don't achieve what they set out to do.

I do not want to do the next vanilla crafts on the alpha theme, especially since I've done them twice already.

That's so cool, I'd be willing to play it when it's done.

The machine gun seems underpowered. Rifle needs average 4 shoots to take imps down, machine gun needs average 6 (like the original pistol/chaingun damage). I end up playing with the rifle for far enemies (tapping up down button for accuracy) and never using machine gun.

Pretty nice demo, if not a bit overwhelming. May I know how to access all the secrets?

I find the slopes to be rather non-offensive, if you think of System Shock, which, admittedly came a year later, then this doesn't seem too out of the time period. Hell, even Ultima Underworld had slopes, and that was before we got Wolfenstein 3D.