Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bioshockfan90

Cream of the slaughter "crop"?

Getting into the WAD genre, any recommendations from vets? No obvious things like Ribbiks maps or Sunlust. I need to satisfy my cravings of masochism. 

My definition of slaughter is primarily 'not mainstream stuff gameplay-wise'. So you won't only find large scale fights here.

I guess some recommendations would be some of the following stuff I have played (no Ribbiks stuff included save 1 individual map and another one he made with Dannebubinga):

Intro:

- Rush

- Blank Space

- Eden

- Newgothic Movement 1 and 2

I enjoyed the above:

- Disciples Of Darkness

- Slaughterfest 2012 maps: 01, 03, 04, 11, 12, 20, 22, 25, 29, 34 (I enjoy almost all the maps in this set but these are probably the ones I would recommend people to play if they don't really play a bunch of slaughter. Map29 might be a bit weird to people who don't really play slaughter.. but it is an amazing map.)

- Combat Shock maps: 02, 03 (maps 01 and 04 are still fun but maps 02 and 03 define the set for me)

- Combat Shock 2

- Sunder maps: 02, 05, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (play them all for the looks but I find these the most fun to play. honestly.. just avoid map09 from a gameplay perspective.)

- Darkwave24

I enjoyed the above:

- Italo Doom (Danne/Ribbiks wad)

- Toilet Of The Gods

- Disturbia

- Dark Resolution 2008 map11 (maybe map10 but I havent played it)

- No Chance (I hear hmp is great)

Incredibly not mainstream gameplay:

- Okuplok's wad: untitled2

- Chillax (play with respawning items)

There are more wads.. but these are some I would recommend to people that might want to get into the genre (or see some creative fights/setups anyways).

Edited by Killer5

I really enjoyed the first two maps of 64 Lemons. Addicting, stylish, and with excellent music.

I second Phmlspd and Newgothic Movement 1 for a beginner.

@Killer5 I definitely would NOT recommend Sunder map 5 for a beginner! Oh wait...

14 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I need to satisfy my cravings of masochism.

Well, maybe you'll like it then.

29 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Pain is fun

This is fain ;P  I still remember you were talking about the alternative names for the difficulties, so fitting lol

Try playing megawads and community projects in reverse map order starting from MAP29

29 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

This is fain ;P  I still remember you were talking about the alternative names for the difficulties, so fitting lol

For those who want to have a reference:

Good times indeed <3

Thanks all for the suggestions! Now my backlog is full aplenty with torture. Just what I was looking for!

Also gives me an excuse to start switching to Prboom+.

2 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Yeah, don't try playing slaughter in a Z port. You'll find that the game performance is WAAAAAAY better in prboom when monster count gets over like 5k monsters (more or less depending on your PC specs, probably). Also, hordes of flying monsters are entirely unmanageable in Zdoom and it's descendants.

7 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Enjoy, and, don't forget to record. Otherwise, it feels that's nothing left after the completion.

@bioshockfan90 Going Down and Ancient Aliens get pretty tough pretty fast.

Also +99 for Sunder.  I'd probably rank it as among the very cream of the slaughter crop, but I'm just an absolute sucker for architecture as lovely as it has.

Don't forget the itytd difficulty if something is too hard and doesn't have difficulty settings. The 2x ammo and 1/2 damage taken mods can be helpful.

Miasma

EAXT

Skepland

I'm currently playing through Combat Shock 2 by Dannebubinga and it's really not that difficult. I'm up to MAP05 and having good time with the gameplay. 

Definitely recommended!

Holy Hell, the epitome of meme-slaughter.   

Time of Maps, collection of Time of Death maps.  includes some level recreation from other video games.  

Bloodlust,  non-linear slaughter map made by Phml, some fights feel straight ripped from phmlspd.   

phmlspd, speedmaps from Phml, get progressively better/more detailed as it goes on.   

Cryogenics, sunder-style slaughter, 4 maps.

Italo Doom and Chillax are my favorites. Chillax is not really beatable solo and without respawning items though. MAYBE a few of the early maps but that's it.

39 minutes ago, stru said:

Italo Doom and Chillax are my favorites. Chillax is not really beatable solo and without respawning items though. MAYBE a few of the early maps but that's it.

map 38 can also be done non-TAS and without item respawn, IIRC, actually some of the stuff in chilax can be beaten without anything along those lines, problem is it's gonna get dicy at times, and you're not gonna be able to max maps for lack of ammo later down the line. Depends on what you consider "beaten"...

33 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

map 38 can also be done non-TAS and without item respawn, IIRC, actually some of the stuff in chilax can be beaten without anything along those lines, problem is it's gonna get dicy at times, and you're not gonna be able to max maps for lack of ammo later down the line. Depends on what you consider "beaten"...

Let everything infight and don't die :^)