Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 Level Map-Set, Ultimate Doom ~ Break out of an underground prison and fight to the surface!

Enjoy!

Kala1.PNG

Kala2.PNG

Kala3.PNG

Kala4.PNG

Kala5.PNG

Kala.zip

Edited by Evyrling

I actually like this thing you got going here. I really like the ziggy zaggity staircases. I couldn't play some maps though (I outright skipped e1m4 & e1m5) because of all the flashing lights that attack my eyes, and my left eye is already quite bloodshot. Reminded me of 1337.wad except not meant to be a ruse even though I haven't touched that WAD since elementary school. My favorite maps were E1M1 and E1M3 (I really like the black void on green vine look).

6 minutes ago, Evyrling said:

here is an updated .zip file with the /idgames .txt file included -- sorry bout that,

Kala.zip

Important to edit your original post as well whenever you post an update, to make it easy for people to know that they have the proper download. 

Hey, I'm feeling that I need explain more stuff behind my only two stars. It's not that I hate that map or mapper, those two stars are because due flashing lights mostly. They're the most serious issue in your maps and can cause negative impact to sensitive people. Even me, that not sensitive to flashing, blinking lights had mild headache and watery eyes after gameplay. Instead of using flashing lights, try play with light gradients. I'll fix my formatting in review, because 90's stuff aren't that bad, lots of people like that texture weirdness, dream like maps and shapes(another reason why I shouldn't write reviews while I'm feeling bad and tired). Another picky thing I noticed in maps are linedef actions that works once. You should change them in repeatable(so no idclip cheat or other cheat will be required). Maybe mark doors which uses keys with torches or keytracks to follow progression. 
I liked music choices, it gives nice vibe in maps. 

I would say try build something more traditional, but it's upon you and I'm afraid that defence squad will hit me hard. So, don't let bad reviews to stop you from mapping, take it as learning experience. It's too late to regret for me for those two stars, so you can ignore it.

Edited by Myst.Haruko

It's not that I hate that 

52 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

It's not that I hate that map or mapper, it's because due flashing lights mostly. They're the most serious issue in your maps and can cause negative impact to sensitive people. Even me, that not sensitive to flashing, blinking lights had mild headache and watery eyes after gameplay.

Oh no, I had flashing lights in my pigeon 2 map 😞 I hope it didn't bother you if you played it...

9 minutes ago, therektafire said:

It's not that I hate that 

Oh no, I had flashing lights in my pigeon 2 map 😞 I hope it didn't bother you if you played it...

Well, nope. I'm not sensitive flashing lights that much, but in this Kala mapset they were used everywhere and maps scale were big. You should try for yourself to see what I mean. I often forget to add more words or explanation words, so I often look like bad person :"")
I'm sorry for that. Really. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

No, it's not like that. Instead of light blink use light phased or remove light effects. Sorry if we look like unfriendly people, we're friendly. Heh, I guess screwed everything again.  

Anyway, if you ever need help with mapping, don't afraid to ask. 

Maybe give some light amplication googles in maps? It would be helpful too and you could keep those light effects. 

Anyway, good luck. 

the reviews are at the bottom of this page

thank you for making the wad. however the flashing i think is a bit dangerous

Just now, Myst.Haruko said:

Maybe give some light amplication googles in maps? It would be helpful too and you could keep those light effects. 

Anyway, good luck. 

I did! whoops I said IR above I think...in 01 and 02 at least...and 04 is meant to be a fast exit...like 0:49 unless you want to 100%..and there are Invincibility powerups for visibility there..thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

4 minutes ago, anotak said:

the reviews are at the bottom of this page

thank you for making the wad. however the flashing i think is a bit dangerous

Cool! Thanks anotak! Had no idea there was a listing from /idgames -- new to Doomworld, gonna stay off these forums, yikes...will read any additional feedback in the reviews. 

Doomworld isn't that bad. These people are just giving you constructive criticism. I mean I've had people tell me my work is trash, and I kept on goin'. You just gotta either adapt to those changes and revise it or stick to your guts. Either way, someone's gonna like your map.

So, why are the posts edited and have numbers in their places? Everyone starts somewhere and constructive criticism is how you get better. You can't expect to improve if you get nothing but praise.

Can i just delete the thread? didn't realize there was another posting for reviews etc. this seems extra is all

4 minutes ago, Evyrling said:

Can i just delete the thread? didn't realize there was another posting for reviews etc. this seems extra is all

You can ask for thread lock, another good alternative. Admins rarely delete forum threads(nope, users can't delete forum topics, sad reality), unless they derail into drama and other unpleasant stuff.

26 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

Doomworld isn't that bad. These people are just giving you constructive criticism. I mean I've had people tell me my work is trash, and I kept on goin'. You just gotta either adapt to those changes and revise it or stick to your guts. Either way, someone's gonna like your map.

19 minutes ago, Glaice said:

So, why are the posts edited and have numbers in their places? Everyone starts somewhere and constructive criticism is how you get better. You can't expect to improve if you get nothing but praise.

Maybe the conversations on this thread would've made more sense were the posts not edited to just have numbers.

There are people on here that give harsh criticism for the seemingly express purpose of providing harsh criticism. I would agree with @bioshockfan90 that Doomworld isn't that bad. I think that MOST of the people here that provide feedback are trying to help or give suggestions. I also think that sometimes, particular in the commentary for those users who are well-known to the community and have been around a while, the feedback does sometimes seem to swing to wildly effusive praise that is almost too over-the-top. And every now and then, even one of these longtime users get their feelings hurt.

The bottom line is that none of us are paragons of map design knowledge and skill. Everyone likes different things (just read any slaughterwad discussion for proof). Go to idgames and pull up any Cacoward winner and you will find people that absolutely loved it and thought it was the greatest level ever and it changed their lives, but you will also find people that gave it 1 or 2 stars because they didn't enjoy it. Ultimately, you just have to take the critiques and pull from them the good ideas and keep at it.

@EvyrlingThis wad is catching my attention. I'll make sure to play it and give a review of this. And uhh...let's avoid drama for now ok?, the map is most important than a stupid drama. :)

With every comment I read I tend to like this WAD more for what it managed to accomplish. I guess I can see the point some people make about the flashing lights, but as has been pointed out, usually there's goggles somewhere nearby, which is in line with my personal experience by the way. If these last long enough or not is another question entirely, and I suppose it's fair to say that some people may get confused by the texture choices that have been made when it came to placing doors, but if you got a decent pace going, the strobes aren't necessarily such a big issue, some people are just more sensitive towards that than others are, they did not bother me personally.

As for the many people saying the author needs to learn some basics of mapping and whatnot: Well, if it was a single map, okay, there would have been a chance that it was simply a mapping experiment and nothing more than that. In this case it's 8 maps, and they all share the same "traits". There's a common "narrative" in these maps that literally screams "This has been done on purpose. It's supposed to be that way." I can certainly see why this is a sense of humour that does not work for everybody, but if you try and look at how these maps mock established mapping conventions, you may come to understand that taking this too serious isn't necessarily the best course of action. Think of it as a "special interest" kind of set that is bound to polarize because of what it is. It's "simply" art. You can not mock established conventions and methods in the way this does, if you did not understand them beforehand.

Heh, if I wouldn't post that review and write message here, nobody would care about this mapset(maybe after some time) and call it bad/good or post-doom-modern art or defend it or bash it. It would stay neutral. It's fun and scary to see that one small snowball went down from hill and turned into this gigantic ball. It's too late for regrets for me and I should leave this thread for good.