Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Are you going to use longer filenames on idgames?

Are you going to use longer filenames on idgames?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to use longer filenames on idgames?

• Yes
    • No

The idgames archive has increased the maximum filename length from 8 to 12. Are you going to take advantage of the extra characters?

Personally, for now I'm planning to stick to the old format. I like that tradition and it would feel weird for me to abandon it.

I've only ever done two uploads so I don't really have a tradition of my own unless you count both of them having "00minvr" in the name. I'm not a great fan of breaking with traditions especially when they're so long-established and a constant ever since the archive was begun. But I guess I'm fine with this as long as the filenames remain restricted to a sane character set (i.e. ascii, no spaces, no characters with meaning to the shell). But for a while the new files with longer names are going to protrude like sore appendages.

This is a nice increase after being forced to use 8.3 SFNs since forever when uploading. However, I'll keep Hellbrary 2's internal name as hellbra2.wad/txt/zip so it shows next to the original when it gets completed.

Thanks for this increase, /idgames/ maintainers!

Yes, finally I can use full wad name, not shortcuted one. 2017 is almost ending and if you think about it, two more years and we'll reach 2020. It's not worth to use those 8 letters restrictions from 90's.  

but on the contrary, this is the only site that allows me to painlessly think up hundreds of 8 letter words and phrases still

If the filenames are limited to UTF-8 or ASCII characters, then an 8 character limit means we can only have some 16-quintillion-odd unique file names (probably less, due to system restrictions on filenames). Bumping up to 12 gives us some 64-octillion-odd names, which is much better. :-)

OK, serious now... I see no reason to limit filename lengths if not necessary. Granted, someone's inevitably going to try naming their wad this_wad_has_a_really_unnecessarily_long_name_just_for_lols_so_if_you_dont_like_it_dont_play_it_lol.wad. Why not let them? I mean, it's their reputation...

At least I can name my future mod otherworldly now ;) That's all I care about. It's almost like it was made for it by fate

I'm glad they're increasing it.

Are there any source ports / platforms that still benefit from 8 character limits?

I know it was for DOS reasons, but pure DOS in that form doesn't really exist any more, does it?

Using longer names can affect readability in columnar lists. Imagine a launcher that shows Filename, Date/Time, Author, Type, Map count, and, maybe a thumbnail of INTERPIC, or the first map, all on one line. A 256-character filename would have to be wrapped to multiple lines to be able to be read. It sounds picky, but it would present a slight issue.

Another issue is the internal conversion of long filenames to 8.3 format, when the OS supports it, on FAT file systems (like you might find on a USB thumbdrive). You know, the conversion of "Long Named Doom WAD.wad"  ->  "LONGNA~1.WAD". Most people think this is a perfect 1:1 conversion that can cause no problems, but that's not the case. The 8.3 names can become duplicated when moving/copying multiple folders, causing files to get overwritten erroneously is some cases. It's somewhat rare, but it's happened to me more than once.

(I'm not necessarily against using the long names - I'm just presenting some counter examples).