Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gtsgreece

Photos that could be great Doom levels

This topic is nice. I also try to recreate parts of a building or houses or places that I go when I'm at work. Real life locations are nice to get some inspiration for your maps, even if the map itself is not related to the place that you got the inspiration...

No real photos , but I like treetop villages , it gives me a lot of inspiration

treehouse_village_by_juanico_el_muertes-

treettop.jpg

FIQ7I.jpg

I have made a map months ago with a similar theme. I will not share my wad here but just a screen.

Screenshot_Doom_20170816_090919.png

Careful what you post in here, guys. FBI's gonna see this and think you're planning to shoot up an office or something. You can't make Doom maps of real life places! /s

8 hours ago, Roofi said:

No real photos , but I like treetop villages , it gives me a lot of inspiration

Made me think of Tokara Forest.

Tokara02.jpg

Not only a fun map, but also happens to have my favorite song in the UT2004 soundtrack. Also it wasn't Torlan, which automatically makes it interesting, but that's another topic altogether.   :v

Edited by Megalyth : Capitalization of random word was bothering me.

4 hours ago, stru said:

Careful what you post in here, guys. FBI's gonna see this and think you're planning to shoot up an office or something. You can't make Doom maps of real life places! /s

What? This is the first time i hear this. Is this true? I'm curious

He's joking. It used to be normal to map your surroundings in the 90s and then Columbine happened and there was a media frenzy about how allegedly the Columbine killers mapped their school in Doom (as far as I know, they didn't) and then it became this huge deal that everyone who plays video games or makes video games is violent. But now it's 2017, and the joke is that maybe 2 decades ago the FBI actually would have misguidedly cared about such things but now the idea that a game modder is on a watch list is absurd.

On 11/9/2017 at 2:19 PM, Reinchard said:

Agree with the first one - I see brown2 texture here. Every time I see brutalist architecture I think about Doom.

z8562804X,Katowice--Opustoszala-hala-glowna-dworca-PKP.jpg

That looks exactly like the subway station level in Extermination Day.

Yeah i know about the colombine things but i'm not from fbi country ( no offense) so thanks for explanation @insertwackynamehere.

On 11. 11. 2017 at 0:50 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

I found it inspirational

Oh God I'm getting so many ideas from this pic that i will forget them immediately... XD

On 11/9/2017 at 6:31 PM, gtsgreece said:

Glad you guys liked this thread, here's some more tumblr weirdness, hope you find them inspiring:

Sleeper in Metropolis-5.jpg

this picture here, I believe it's also in/from the new Gran Turismo:Sport game, but 15 feet right. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Lüt : quoting eight images to reply to one?

On 11/13/2017 at 9:00 PM, Chewyninja69 said:

this picture here, I believe it's also in/from the new Gran Turismo:Sport game, but 15 feet right. Can anyone confirm?

Sorry, Lut. I don't know how to only get/pick out 1 picture in a group. My bad.

Great topic, gtsgreece.

I've gathered a variety of stray images over the years for this very purpose. Here's a few.

A fancy interior:

interior-01.jpg

An odd interior:

interior-03.jpg

An abandoned quarry:

quarry-picture-17.jpg

quarry-picture-19.jpg

A shiny building:

mirrors-edge.jpg

Two interesting buildings in the background, particularly the right side (don't mind Shaun):

Spoiler

shaun-01.jpg

Scene from a movie I don't know but snapped because I thought it could be adapted into a good hell scene:

vlcsnap-2012-05-25-05h14m38s16.jpg

And if you don't mind cartoons - they're probably easier to adapt to Doom anyway - here's a city overview that could provide some good downtown building exteriors:

max-steel-city-zoomout-02_ds.jpg

In particular, the industrial building in the middle:

max-steel-city-zoomout-01_crop-ds.jpg

AND BECAUSE HERETIC DOESN'T GET ENOUGH LOVE:

Caernarfon Castle:

caernarfon-castle-01.jpg

caernarfon-castle-02.jpg

caernarfon-castle-05.jpg

caernarfon-castle-07.jpg

caernarfon-castle-08.jpg

Misc classic architecture:

classic-01.jpg

classic-03.jpg

classic-04-02.jpg

classic-06.jpg

Ruins:

belize-01.jpg

belize-03.jpg

inca-empire-01.jpg

ruins-02.jpg

Finally, here's an exceptionally large render (8000x1200) of a medieval town. Google Drive link, since embedding is ludicrous:

Simis Medieval by Imp012

Should be enough for now. More where that came from though.

4 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Sorry, Lut. I don't know how to only get/pick out 1 picture in a group. My bad.

Not a problem, just cluttery. You can press backspace/delete to remove pictures the same way as you can remove words. The main thing is that your comment was within the quote, so people would assume it was simply part of the original post and skip it. I initially passed it by until I wondered why you quoted something without a reply and looked back up. People are more likely to reply if they realize it's a new comment, so there it is.

17 hours ago, Lüt said:

Scene from a movie I don't know but snapped because I thought it could be adapted into a good hell scene:

vlcsnap-2012-05-25-05h14m38s16.jpg

^^^I believe this to be from the Dune mini-series that was on the Sci-Fi channel (before it became the Sy-Fy channel, but I digress) back in 2000-ish. I believe this to be the homeworld, Giedi Prime. I just watched the Blu-Ray fairly recently and I think this is it. And yes, it looks amazing as a hell scene/area/level.

Even weirder: the majority of his images are places I've been to. The Mayan sites in Belize could certainly make nice levels. If anyone is seriously thinking of it, I have a bunch of relevant photos from Lamanai and Altun Ha. Actually, the most memorable thing about Lamanai was the road to get there, but that could be said about many places in Belize.

I think I've mentioned before that Wulingyuan has some natural rock formations that seem pretty friendly to the architecture of vanilla Doom engine:

800px-Zhangjiajie-Hunan.jpg

800px-1_zhangjiajie_huangshizhai_wulingy

@GhoulDesecrator

Don't forget Sedlec Ossuary:

400px-Sedlec_Ossuary_Entrance.jpg

450px-Kostnice_Sedlec.JPG

On 11/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, stru said:

Only if it's a place you have a personal attachment to. If you make a level of some random building, who's only going to think you're up to no good?

On 11/18/2017 at 10:53 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Don't forget Sedlec Ossuary:

400px-Sedlec_Ossuary_Entrance.jpg

450px-Kostnice_Sedlec.JPG

I'm pretty sure this is already a Doom map. (Ancient Aliens MAP32)

On 11/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, Chewyninja69 said:

^^^I believe this to be from the Dune mini-series that was on the Sci-Fi channel (before it became the Sy-Fy channel, but I digress) back in 2000-ish. I believe this to be the homeworld, Giedi Prime. I just watched the Blu-Ray fairly recently and I think this is it. And yes, it looks amazing as a hell scene/area/level.

Oh right, how could I forget.

The heavy saturation made me think of the French film Vidocq, which was rather intense in its rich visuals, but I couldn't recall any part of the story that fit the setting.

But Dune... the overblown reds should have given it away. I've never seen a production so blatantly abuse the RGB spectrum throughout its entirety. Most film projects do some degree of color grading in post production. This one just went and shined colored lights on everybody and everything.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:42 AM, Cell said:

@Lüt I couldn't miss that the images entitled "Misc classic architecture" are all from Hungary.

Well you sure know your world architecture history.

I see the similarities now that you mention it. The last two were a given, but the others share more subtle likenesses that slipped by me before.

It makes sense though, since I probably saved the group of images from the same gallery.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:49 AM, Grazza said:

Even weirder: the majority of his images are places I've been to. The Mayan sites in Belize could certainly make nice levels. If anyone is seriously thinking of it, I have a bunch of relevant photos from Lamanai and Altun Ha. Actually, the most memorable thing about Lamanai was the road to get there, but that could be said about many places in Belize.

I'm never surprised when you've been somewhere from another person's picture.

And yeah the people who took the pictures of the Mayan sites said it was from their trip to Belize.

So then I'm sure you'd know these are from India:

ruins-01.jpg

This castle, however, eludes me:

castle-01.jpg

And honestly, the first thing I thought when I saw those stone supports for the upper levels, was how wonderfully they'd fit into the Doom engine. I'd love to find more pictures of it if possible.