Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

making some weird adlib-y DOS music

totally lost track of DOOM for a while but it occurred to me the music I was thinking about right now might appeal to a few Doomers. thinking a lot about the ambient-ish RPG soundtracks that were knocking around at the beginning of the nineties and my own game based on them

I've been recording videos on my own showing how I track them so this might double as a crude introduce to tracking and ADSR patching and blah bah.

here are two videos which will probably vanish from twitch in a few days cos I have no followers whatsoever :))

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/200910103

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/188092433

the sound you hear in the background is an old YAMAHA keyboard with its own OPL presets. I'm committed to teh nascent PC music era I guess. apologies for their annoyingly slow nature, I'm both thinking and wrestling with an old interface :))

3 hours ago, yakfak said:

I have no followers

Now you have one. Perhaps i'll catch your stream next time.

Not very familar with  MS-DOS trackers but i was toying around with Delta Music on my Amiga as a kiddo. What tracker you're working on btw?

it's called Faust Music Creator! my friend made a tutorial for this one which is why I prefer it. The main drawback is that it only opens eight channels (adlib gold really supported nine) but I can't say I'm missing the extra note.

Maybe you should use Adlib Tracker 2 if you want all the channels, from what I can tell it seems like most people think it is the best program for adlib music creation as well

^ good call

the difference between the programs is that I know how to use FMC whereas eliciting sound out of adtrack2 seems like a herculean feat to me :))))

cool track ^^, surprisingly "heavy" :D

any of the VODs from the OP (or tracks that resulted from them) still floating around the internet-o-sphere?

25 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

cool track ^^, surprisingly "heavy" :D

any of the VODs from the OP (or tracks that resulted from them) still floating around the internet-o-sphere?

thanks! mmm I think the old VODs already got removed :)) the new one is up I guess,

i'll probably put teh rendered adlibs in a silly .WAD at some point sooner than later anyway :)))

holy moly the learning curve on this stuff looks steep -.-. I suddenly feel spoiled by sequencing in keyboard roll and score heh

^trackers suit me much more than sequencers recently :)) not sure why, might just be the hackiness of the all data all the time! view appealing to me

not actually adlib... this is me trying out a DOS pseudotracker with some ideas in mind

maybe to make an unofficial soundtrack for a certain cool Doom 1 release

qarqrawl

just wanted to bump my olde thread with a new adlib tune

slowly making a soundtrack for something speculative :3

This stuff brings me back, man... Never did get into the music scene, but I used to enjoy these kinds of tracks. I see you have a patreon, but any chance you'd upload your creations to youtube? Twitch doesn't seem to have the older stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

14 hours ago, yakfak said:

fun track. like chiptune idm almost. diggin' the off-kilter variant of the main melody at ~0:40 with the squeely Bb->A thrown in, it reminds me of when I go to write something diatonic but accidentally get everything off by a semitone and end up liking it better :D

haha yes! :3 it just goes to show there aren't wrong notes hee
when i notice im using a set o' chords I've already explored quite enough I try and do some cranky things within it