Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Nate

Firefox Quantum changed the entire UI

Which Firefox UI/browser do you like better?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which Firefox UI do you like better?

What the fuck is this?

So I accidentally closed Firefox. When I reopened it, it was installing some updates.

Then it opened.

TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT!

Spoiler

Hh0Wyxx.png

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED HERE?!

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO MY FIREFOX?!

Would you prefer that piece of shit or the old, better UI?

Edited by Sgt Jack V

It looks like Chrome now heh. I kind of got used to it by now but not fully yet. I will admit it's much faster than before now though. Haven't experienced any freezes yet I believe.

Yeah, when I got wind of the oncoming shitstorm I downgraded to some 56 version (56.0.2 to be precise) and disabled updates. Even the "getting ready for Quantum" business had cocked up Adblock-plus Element Hiding Helper (as ABP had been forced to make changes that caused it not to work), without which I find many websites unpalatable. Using ABP 2.9.1 did the trick. Firefox labels them with its "Legacy" BS, but they still work.

Anyway, you should be able to roll it back to a sane version.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/beta

Good luck!

And if you value your sanity, you also need Classic Shell.

I love the new UI personally. feels way more modern to me than it did previously, and much more modern than chrome

Thank you for the warning! I just switched auto-updates to off.

I don't want this browser to look or function similarly to Chrome, otherwise I would just use Chrome.

35 minutes ago, Urthar said:

Don't really care about the UI, I was more concerned with NoScript not working.

Firefox seems to have integrated a no script style feature directly into Quantum, blocking pop-ups; however it doesnt have the flexibility of No Script :(

Fuck it, I decided to go with Craptum just for the speed. I'll wait until someone makes an addon that brings back the old UI.

EDIT: Also, the replacement for the old Private tabs add-on is a piece of shit. Instead of making a regular tab private and having both private and regular tabs, it instead closes the tab chosen to be private and opens it in a new window.

Good thing this poll is totally not biased at all. And nowhere does it say "I FUCKING HATE CHANGE!". That said, I like the new, supposedly shitty, version better. Add that to the list of fetishes that you think I may have. :p

The UI is a bit different but it isn't bothering me so far. Enjoying it being more responsive, for sure.

toastytech.com is the shit btw

I use Waterfox in place of Firefox.

Features

Spoiler

Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)

Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)

Removed Pocket

Removed Telemetry

Removed data collection

Removed startup profiling

Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins

Allow running of unsigned extensions

Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page

Addition of Duplicate Tab option

Locale selector in about:preferences > General

My dad's Firefox got updated to this and he said it is freezing a lot on him and had to revert to the old version. He is still on Windows 7 though and so am I.

I have switched to Brave months ago, haven't looked back to Mozilla Firefox, although the UI doesn't look bad to me, just different, since otherwise it looks the same to me. If I can recall, Microsoft Edge and Chrome already has similar front pages to the use Firefox UI, so it doesn't bother me really.

The new version is OK after fiddling with about:config (disable animations, screenshots and both activity-steams) and userChrome.css to remove some annoyances. I don't get why they keep moving the refresh button around in a way that is almost impossible to revert. It used to be in the normal bar, then they moved it inside of the address bar, now it's outside again, but they've moved the create/edit bookmark button to the address bar. They seem to like playing the shell game.

Time to retrain the muscle memory.

18 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Good thing this poll is totally not biased at all. And nowhere does it say "I FUCKING HATE CHANGE!". That said, I like the new, supposedly shitty, version better. Add that to the list of fetishes that you think I may have. :p

That's a bit inconsistent. I thought you liked old shitty things ;-)

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

My dad's Firefox got updated to this and he said it is freezing a lot on him and had to revert to the old version. He is still on Windows 7 though and so am I.

I had the same problem until I switched from Adblock Plus to uBlock Origin.

21 hours ago, Grazza said:

Adblock-plus

ABP in the age of Ublock Origin? Can't say I understand that decision.

My only standing issue with the update is that noscript and passifox are still not compatible and therefore unavailable.

I've tried uBlock and it just seemed like crap. I don't see why people rave about it and why ABP gets such flak (well, other than the fact that latest version does seem like a uBlock wannabe). The permissible ads stuff? That's just one click. EHP is flexible and powerful and offers all the control you might want.

5 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I've tried uBlock and it just seemed like crap. I don't see why people rave about it and why ABP gets such flak (well, other than the fact that latest version does seem like a uBlock wannabe). The permissible ads stuff? That's just one click. EHP is flexible and powerful and offers all the control you might want.

It may seem weird if you are accustomed to ABP, but it is more flexible. The element picker is on par with the old ABP while it seems to be completely broken with the new WE ABP. uBlock even has additional filter rules that can be used to emulate parts of NoScript.

At the moment I'm using uMatrix instead of NoScript, but I'm pretty sure that I will switch back as soon as NoScript is stable. I'm definitely not switching back to ABP. It requires noticable more memory on my system and the cosmetic filtering seems to work better.

I'm confident that ABP's element selector will be repaired (huge slowdown and no result) and that it will be able to block content with custom “data:” rules – which stopped working after the update. I don't know the current state, but after the update editing/adding custom rules has been cumbersome at best.

I haven't restarted Firefox on my main computer, but on my work PC I've gotten something like this a few times:

https://i.imgur.com/Q7WgMMM.jpg

My home browser will not be updated until the NoScript WebExtension gets released (barring a browser crash or power outage).  To answer the original question, I'm not sure about the new UI yet.  I feel like it takes me longer to see which tab is currently open, but maybe I'll get used to that.  I might mess around with the userChrome.css file to tweak the appearance a bit (I prefer rounded tabs, for instance).

Edited by kmc

I was initially shocked and pissed, but I think that's just because I didn't expect that a few of the add-ons that I use would stop working.  Once I calmed down and found replacements for most of them (some are even better than what I was using), I really started to enjoy it.  The UI itself is nice, minus that crappy click-search-button-thingie, and I already find myself wishing that my laptop (which is on the 52.x ESR branch) was on the new release.  My only other complaint is how parts of the UI are using that modern super-flat look, which I find irritating.

I wonder why some morons think that reshuffling all the controls is a good idea. Makes all the improvements come with a sour taste.

And the fact that NoScript still isn't working is not good at all. This will be the deciding factor for me - if this add-on gets killed, so will Quantum.