Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

Gurlugon said:

Also, for some reason, the chainsaw makes this stupid easy to do. I guess because it pulls you in closer or something?

There actually was a thread about this, and from what I understand the conclusion was that the chainsaw shouldn't have such effects...

I really don't know for sure, man. I can't argue for it with too much conviction as I really don't know a ton about engine stuff, that's for better minds than me to figure out.

All I can say is I saw a huge increase in success rate when using the chainsaw. I experimented with all different angles using the SSG, but the chainsaw was consistently giving me the best results.

Plutonia Map01 UV Max/Reality:

pl01y329.zip

I don't know where to put that "y", so correct me if I'm wrong. Harder than I thought. Just want to do something and post something... Video here.

Plutonia Map02 UV Max/Reality:

pl02y351.zip

Kind of slow due to the last part. It's sort of unlucky that there's not much infighting going on, or it can be quicker. Video here.

Edited by GarrettChan

Plutonia Map05 UV Max/Reality

pl05y1103.zip

I accidentally picked up that box of shells at the beginning... so funny things happened, and I don't really like this run, but I don't even know how can I do it again? Video here.

Plutonia Map06 UV Max/Reality

pl06y531.zip

Compared to Map05, this is so relaxing... Video here.

Edited by GarrettChan

PL05 reality is mega cool too see, even though the run didn't meet your quality control requirements :) Very surprising it was possible.

PL01 I finished it a few years ago, but with a time of seven minutes something... so your time is pretty good for reality.

TNT evilution uv-speed d2all in 38:58

Don't mind me, just exposing yet another one of my 2 year old lies which was that I would never do this category again. With some effort this could probably be at least 2 minutes faster.

youtube (will be up in about 2 hours):

30ev3858.zip

Map 20: The second worst level in the iwads.

Map 21: Worst level in the iwads. Completely missed that first key, just awful.

Map 22: Maybe this map is even worse, I don't know, haven't played it.

Did two demos on MAP27: Mount Pain in TNT: Evilution, one a Nightmare Speed demo and another going for 100% Secrets on Nightmare. The secrets are nearby luckily so not a whole lot different from a normal Nightmare Speed demo.

tn27nms-255.zip

tn27nm100s-306.zip

Spoiler

Edited by GuyNamedErick : Updated with a video under spoiler.

Never thought I would have under 1:30 on MAP30: Last Call for TNT: Evilution on Nightmare, but I guess I got REALLY lucky here seeing that the Compet-N entry was 1:31. It was already difficult enough to go faster than that time, now I wonder if going faster than 1:29 is even possible.

tn30nms-129.zip

Spoiler

Edited by GuyNamedErick : Updated with a video under spoiler.

TNT map 08 uv-pacifist in 6:11

Another undone iwad IL pacifist completed, this might just be the least entertaining demo of the year as I spend several minutes setting up for the most precise trick ever done without TAS, which is why I include a video so you can skip through it :)

Only e4m6, lv30, pl07, ev05, ev09, ev26 remain and I've already routed e4m6 and done a few attempts, 1 of them was very close, so hopefully I'll have that done soon. As for the others I see no hope at all without tas.

This trick can also be used for nightmare since you can actually block the demon respawn, but it would require a different setup. This means that an ep1\d2all nm100s demo of tnt is actually not completely unresonable, but still an enourmous challenge.

yt (at 0:40 you can skip to 4:30):

ev08p611.zip

trippy as fuck - i think i went into another dimension when you were bobbing about in the void, the pistol 'smear' is hypnotizing...

Map 15: The Twilight - UV-Max in 4:48

This is I think my first demo with a ghost monster being present, so theres that :-)

Pluv15-448.zip

Edited by Bob9001 : formatting

Map 29: River Styx - UV-Max in 9:54

This is a damn hard level, I've only UV-Max'd this maybe a handful of times over my time as a speedrunner of TNT. Considering you only finish 1 out of every 10 attempts on this map just goes to show how hard it is. I'd rate it up there as one of the hardest levels from the doom 2 era.

Maybe revisit this and improve my time, but for now, sub-10 mins is pretty good.

evuv29-954.zip

Edited by Bob9001

Map 15: Dead Zone UV-Max in 3:50

This level is annoying in many ways and seeing as the record time is beatable, I just can't be bothered trying over and over to beat it.

So this is the result. Enough Final doom demos for now. I'm a bit burned out.

evuv15-350.zip

TNT UV-Max Episode 1 in 49:18

Well I'm a bit in shock, I didn't expect to get a sub 50 anytime soon... But this just happened :-)

(Also beat Never_Again's second attempt at ep1 by 1 second holy shit)

evuvep1-4918.zip

Edited by Bob9001

So @j4rio comes to blows with Plutonia and uploads a punchy set of demos, duking it out with the competition. Careful, or you may get hooked on these demos. Some may criticise these demos for their gratuitous exhibition of bitchslaps and sucker punches, claiming they smack of grandstanding. Others retort that this is just a cheap shot and that such "off the cuff", "low jab" remarks have no clout at all and is the mindless hysteria of heavy handed, bashing, wannabe contenders.

Edited by tmorrow

Plutonia Map08 UV Max/Reality in 9:25

pl08y925.zip

Originally I think this is impossible because the long gap between two solid grounds in the damaging floor. However, I remember reading an article somewhere explaining when the damaging floor will tick. Basically it's when the gun swings to the top. Because of this, I can time this to avoid damage in the damaging floor. In the demo, you can see I run back and forth to have the feeling of the timing. (Well, it's mostly a useless skill in Doom.)

Besides this, the starting area is also painful. That's why I develop my strategy to get everything out one by one. Still, I accidentally triggered that Shotgunner down the stairs, who almost shot me. Another thing is the trap next to Blue Skull key. This time I lucked out, but usually a Chaingunner would teleport in before I can occupy the teleporter.

If you prefer watching a video.

TNT Map28 UV Max/Reality in 9:33

ev28y933.zip

Because of the skill I got from Plutonia Map08, I decided to get through this map. This map only contains a small pool of damaging floor, but I just want to get rid of the luck thing. Basically if you're playing cautiously, this map is not that bad. I almost got my pass the first try but I stupidly got hit by a Lost Soul at the exit...